Garden Hose Water Heater

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Normans54

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am looking for a way to heat water from my garden hose to use for things like mixing with PBW or as part of my conical's CIP cycle. Ideally, I would like something that is inline (or at least relatively compact) and only requires 110v power. Given that it is not for heating strike/sparge water, it doesn't need to get super hot (140-150°F should do the trick). I am also going to add a spray nozzle to the hose which should reduce the flow rate (thereby making heating more manageable with 110v power.) Does anybody have any suggestions on how to make this happen? Thanks so much!

Last edited:
I was looking at that recently. Since I won't be drinking that water, I ended up ordering a cheap bucket water heater.
Screenshot_20210421-133006_AliExpress.jpg

You could look into block heaters for trucks, they make a style that goes in the radiator hose. I don't know exactly how hot they get but I recall seeing them down to maybe a 1inch hose size. You would have to adapt for sure but might work. Look at Katz heaters, thats the brand I remember seeing. It would be inline that way, not sure how quickly it would make your water hot to the temp your looking but the do plug into a regular wall outlet.

Edit: Heaters by Kat's

Last edited:
Ideally, I would like something that is inline (or at least relatively compact) and only requires 110v power.
Sorry, inline and 120 V just won't work. Assuming an incoming water temp of 60 °F, hot water temp of 140 °F, and running the most we can pull off a 15 A, 120 VAC circuit (1800 W), our water mass flow rate is 9.7 g/s or 580 g/min (water heating calculations are so much easier with SI units). At 3790 grams per gallon of water, that gives you a flow rate of 0.15 GPM. Unless you have abnormally hot tap water (like you're feeding it from a water heater), a 120 V instant hot water heater just isn't going to cut it, unless 0.15 GPM is a useful amount of water for you. For reference purposes in case 0.15 GPM doesn't register, the water saving faucets that everybody hates are 0.5 GPM, or 3.3 times more flow than you could get from a 120 V instant hot water heater based on my assumed temp rise.

You'll either need to heat up a bucket of water with a heater or you'll need a beefier heater, like a 240 volt or gas fired heater.

Back