Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SnyderCider

Reaction score
So I just started my first brew of hard cider with Motts (I know it's not ideal but it's what I can afford). My garage stays at about 68-75 degrees daily but living in NJ the weather can change that. The biggest thing I've noticed is the humidity and I've read that it can cause a spoiled cider while others have said the opposite. Anyone have any input on this?

I think you should be alright, depending on what yeast you are using. I think cider and wine yeasts are much more forgiving at warm temps than beer yeasts. The humidity shouldn't be a problem because you have an airlock keeping the humidity out of the fermenter. If you are worried you can fill a Rubbermaid tub with water to increase the thermal mass. Toss a frozen liter water bottle in for the first four or five mornings and it'll keep that cider at the low end of the spectrum. I used to do it all summer with beer fermentations when I lived in a small apartment.

As long as you have an airlock with liquid in it, humidity doesn't matter. You can be in the desert or in a tropical rainforest and there won't be any difference, whether it's beer, cider, wine... Ambient temperature is more the concern. Motts is a good choice for that, too.

So I just started my first brew of hard cider with Motts (I know it's not ideal but it's what I can afford). My garage stays at about 68-75 degrees daily but living in NJ the weather can change that. The biggest thing I've noticed is the humidity and I've read that it can cause a spoiled cider while others have said the opposite. Anyone have any input on this?
75 may be a bit warm. I keep ciders and ales between 62 and 64 because I use the same yeasts for both. I'd suggest a cheap swamp cooler, but with humidity that may not help at all. My first batch of ale, I used a cloth over my fermenter that rested in a cookie sheet with some water. With house temps at 70, I kept the ale no more than 67. In my current home, I would put everything in an enclosed container and put frozen 1-2 liter bottles to slowly keep the temps down.

When I had the time and money, I bought a chest freezer and ink bird so I can keep the temps I want.

This:
Toss a frozen liter water bottle in for the first four or five mornings
One of my top 5 beers was my "bathtub blonde". Sat the fermenter in the guest bathroom tub. Added a frozen 1 gallon jug every 12 hours or so. Just fill any old plastic bottles and stick in freezer. It aint perfect, but it helps. You can measure the temp of the tub water and assume about 5 to 10 degrees more in the fermentor.
Any old keg tub, trash can, etc. can work.
Welcome to home brewing/fermenting!

Back