Game of Thrones Take the Black Stout-had it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

worthogg

Reaction score
I just uncorked one of these I picked up this weekend. I must say that I enjoyed it more than I thought I would. Now the concept of a Belgian stout is starting to get to me. Does anyone have any other examples of this non-style that they could recommend? I'm ready to do some "research" for an upcoming brew.

Belgian Yeti by Great Divide is what got me liking these beers.

I brewed one 2 years ago that came out great. Time to revisit and revise that beer.

Growler's in Gaithersburg brews a Fatty Monk Belgian Chocolate Stout:
A.B.V. 7.5%
Belgian Stout is not really a recognized style, but we wanted to try one anyway. We opted for overloading with chocolate malt instead of roasted barley to give this beer it's richly delicious dark color and flavor profile with minimal roast. A traditional abbey yeast was used to ferment and impart a recognizable Belgian character.

I haven't tried it, but a buddy has and liked it

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I don't know why but I had never thought of doing a Belgian stout. I think it's because I have heard some brewers say that Belgian IPAs with American hops just don't work well. I haven't had many, but can't remember a Belgian IPA that I liked. A stout would be a totally different concept though. Not hop forward, and plenty of dark, complex flavors that would complement some Belgian strains of yeast. One of the things that I liked about Take the Black was that it was not overly "estery" like a trippel can be. Just nice and smooth, slightly on the sweeter end of roasty vs. sweet, and with just a little bite of twang from the yeast not the hops. I think an abbey yeast would be perfect for something like this. That Belgian Chocolate Stout sounds gooood!!

I have a bottle of Take the Black in the fridge right now. Bought it for the novelty, but I am looking forward to trying it.

I had it a few weeks ago and thought it was horrid, the licorice taste really turned me off. Now the Great Divide Belgium Yeti pure deliciousness.

Afghanvet_2x said:
I had it a few weeks ago and thought it was horrid, the licorice taste really turned me off. Now the Great Divide Belgium Yeti pure deliciousness.

Can anyone point to an AG recipe of Belgium yeti? Or is this a "can you clone it?" Thread waiting to happen

Took a trip to England last year and wanted a bump up from the 3-4ABV English ales. A small pub in Lancaster had this Hercule Belgian stout. Very good if you can find it around. I attempted a stout with Belgian yeast twice now and both times it came out well. The first 5 gal batch was fermented with T-58 that left a banana flavor and combined with the dark malts it was almost like a banana split beer. So good. I used Bella Saison yeast in one this fall. It's good, but not like last years.

Can anyone point to an AG recipe of Belgium yeti? Or is this a "can you clone it?" Thread waiting to happen

Here's BYO's recipe from 2006:

15.25 lbs (6.9 kg) American 2-row malt
1.0 lb (0.45 kg) crystal malt (120 °L)
12 oz. (0.34 kg) chocolate malt
12 oz. (0.34 kg) black patent malt
10 oz. (0.28 kg) roasted barley
8.0 oz. (0.23 kg) flaked wheat
8.0 oz. (0.23 kg) flaked rye
14.3 AAU Chinook hops (60 min) (1.1 oz./31 g of 13% alpha acids)
7.2 AAU Chinook hops (30 min) (0.55 oz./16 g of 13% alpha acids)
5.3 AAU Centennial hops (15 min) (0.50 oz./14 g of 10.5% alpha acids)
0.5 oz. (14 g) Centennial hops (5 min)
Wyeast 1056 (American Ale) or White Labs WLP001 (California Ale) yeast (3 qt./~3 L yeast starter)
0.75 cups corn sugar (for priming)

Step by Step:

Mash at 150 °F (66 °C). Boil for 60 minutes, adding hops as indicated above. Ferment at 70 °F (21 °C).

Sub in a Belgian yeast for the 1056/WLP001 and enjoy. I'm not sure what strain Great Divide uses for theirs, but if anyone does I would be curious to know. Planning a batch of this coming up and considering splitting it.

I think it's because I have heard some brewers say that Belgian IPAs with American hops just don't work well.

Admittedly, I am not a huge fan of IPA and have only recently acquired a taste for belgian trippel but I must argue that the US has a good, full palette to work with hopwise. Though I am an equal opportunity hopper I find there is an American hop for any job. :mug:

Got a bottle of it but don't think I'm going to drink it just yet. Got it mostly because I love the show. Still looking for a bottle of the first beer in the series. As for Belgian stouts I think the Sam Adams Thirteenth Hour is a considered a Belgian stout. It was a very tasty beer.

I attempted a stout with Belgian yeast twice now and both times it came out well. The first 5 gal batch was fermented with T-58 that left a banana flavor and combined with the dark malts it was almost like a banana split beer. So good.

That sounds awesome. I'm seeing banana split beer, with some vanilla in secondary and maybe some lactose thrown in. Hmmmmm...

Here's BYO's recipe from 2006:

15.25 lbs (6.9 kg) American 2-row malt
1.0 lb (0.45 kg) crystal malt (120 °L)
12 oz. (0.34 kg) chocolate malt
12 oz. (0.34 kg) black patent malt
10 oz. (0.28 kg) roasted barley
8.0 oz. (0.23 kg) flaked wheat
8.0 oz. (0.23 kg) flaked rye
14.3 AAU Chinook hops (60 min) (1.1 oz./31 g of 13% alpha acids)
7.2 AAU Chinook hops (30 min) (0.55 oz./16 g of 13% alpha acids)
5.3 AAU Centennial hops (15 min) (0.50 oz./14 g of 10.5% alpha acids)
0.5 oz. (14 g) Centennial hops (5 min)
Wyeast 1056 (American Ale) or White Labs WLP001 (California Ale) yeast (3 qt./~3 L yeast starter)
0.75 cups corn sugar (for priming)

Step by Step:

Mash at 150 °F (66 °C). Boil for 60 minutes, adding hops as indicated above. Ferment at 70 °F (21 °C).

Sub in a Belgian yeast for the 1056/WLP001 and enjoy. I'm not sure what strain Great Divide uses for theirs, but if anyone does I would be curious to know. Planning a batch of this coming up and considering splitting it.

Thanks for posting this recipe. I just brewed a Surly Darkness clone that I'll be saving mostly for next winter. This Yeti looks like it may be one that will be ready for this winter. I think splitting a 10 gal batch with 001 and a Belgian yeast is a good idea. I'm not familiar with what the different Belgian strains are like so if anyone has a suggestion, throw it out there. So far I've only used saison strains but I think for this one I'd like it smoother and not so spicy.

Had Take the Black last night. It wasn't bad, but it didn't blow me away at all. I didn't mind the anise flavor, but I was a huge fan of Stone's 12.12.12 and that had a ton of spices in it. Honestly, TtB seemed muddled to me. I didn't get a clear profile of the roasted grains, the belgian yeast, or the spices.

Back