Galaxy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robotcrab

Reaction score
Hi all, I bought some galaxy the other week because... Just because... And not sure what to do with it,read it can be quite over the top, just doing simple extracts at the moment when
I have a bit of free time, any ideas was thing an ipa or something like that, something light for the summer?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Galaxy is a hop that comes from Australia and like a lot of the hops from there and New Zealand, has a citrus and tropical fruit combination flavor and aroma. It is usually high alpha acid so can be used as a bittering hop but many brewers seem to be using these as 20 minute or less additions. Because of the flavors and aromas involved, they would be good in an American-style IPA or American Pale Ale.

If you're doing an extract beer, you might consider a recipe with extra light extract, steeping some caramel 20L, and adding 0.5 oz of Galaxy at 60 minutes, then another 0.5 oz at 10 and 5 minutes, throw some US-05 yeast into it. When fermentation is done, then dry hop with with another ounce or two. Create the recipe so that your starting gravity is somewhere between 1.055 and 1.070. You would end up with a drinkable, hoppy, citrus-and-tropical pale ale.

Cool thanks, and I live in Tasmania where galaxy comes from that's why I bought it thought I'd give the local stuff a chance.

Cool thanks, and I live in Tasmania where galaxy comes from that's why I bought it thought I'd give the local stuff a chance.

Outstanding! Lots of good hops coming from your part of the world! Let us know what you decide to do and how it turns out.

All the best Aussie beer comes from Tazzie. Lived in QLD for a few years. XXXX gold was the tipple of choice for most of my fellow banana benders.

Best of luck with the brew.

Mmm not sure if I like it... Heaps of passion fruit, heaps and heaps! Of passion fruit, think it way work well with citra or something like that but in its own is bloody powerful may try it to dry hop a gallon of cider?

She doesn't seem to understand, I really, really, like beer...

Blend it with Nelson sauvin as a dry hop in APA and IPA. Great stuff.

Tallgrass Brewing out of Kansas makes 8-bit Pale Ale, which uses Galaxy in some capacity. It's a good brew. Maybe find a clone recipe online (I've never looked myself) to get an idea how they use it.

Galaxy is a good APA/IPA hop. Lots of citrus and peach notes. I find it similar to Citra but with a heavier, danker character.

I just got an ounce at the lhbs. Will post tasting notes in 30-90 days. In the meantime, everyone give us more tasting notes on this strain. Cheers!

this batch didn't last long at my house...

http://beermebc.com/2014/10/01/craft-beer-hop-profile-galaxy-hops/

Étoile de Noël (Galaxy IIPA)

15 lbs Marris Otter Pale
0.5 lbs Pale DME

1.5 oz Galaxy @ 60 min All Pellets
1.0 oz Galaxy @ 20 min
1.0 oz Galaxy @ 15 min
1.0 oz Galaxy @ 10 min
0 oz Galaxy @ 5 min (should have been 1.0)
0.5 oz Galaxy @ 0 min

1.8 oz Galaxy Dry Hop in Secondary (should have been 3.0)

Back