Galaxy Imperial IPA recipe critique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

khannan

Reaction score
15lb 2 Row
1.5lb Crystal 60L
1lb Carapils
8oz biscuit

Mash at 153

Hops
1.5oz Magnum @60
2oz Galaxy @10
2oz Galaxy @ Flameout

Dry hop 3oz Galaxy in Secondary for 2 weeks

Looks fine I may drop the biscuit since u have a lot of sweetness from the c60 and carapils I just think the biscuit may get hidden from those other two. Otherwise and I may b wrong since its personal preference but the grain bill will b good for an iipa, I hope u like a sweeter profile cuz that's a lot of crystal and carapils. What's your OG and FG and ibus. Also for an iipa I'd prob up the dry hop to atleast 5oz but I love big dry hops for that added nose punch and flavor as nose gives a perceived flavor too.

I have a galaxy & citra iipa ready to keg and I used Yeast Bay's Funktown Pale Ale (Brett w/ Heady Topper yeast) and it gives awesome fruitiness to complement the hops. Looks like you are expecting 93% attenuation which seems pretty high but I don't have much experience with beers this big. What yeast do you have planned?

I'd mash lower...148-150, cut the crystal/carapils in half and maybe add some sugar to help dry it out. 1.020 is too high for a fg of an dipa...shoot for 1.010-1.012. what yeast are you using?

For a quality IIPA, reduce dryhop time, shoot for a lower OG, a lower FG, use more hops, and use less cara- malts.

Example:

2 Row base
0-5% Crystal 60L
0-5% Carapils

Mash at 149-151

1.5oz Magnum @60
2-3oz Galaxy @10
3-4oz Galaxy @ Flameout

Dry hop 4-5oz Galaxy in Secondary for 5 days

if you want the punch of an IIPA, that is not enough hops IMO. i did that much hops in my galaxy IPA just FYI... i'd double the hops and lessen the crystal

Back