Gainesville, FL

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i think i was just happy at first to be having a beer. it had been a long day of traveling. once i had some time to analyze it i became less happy( i should say less hoppy because for an ipa it lacked hops).

Gawddamnit. Apparently, I am unable to make a starter. I'm like 3 for 8. Seriously. Gonna pitch some of that dry Belgian yeast t-58 and hope my Vienna-based Belgian pale ale doesn't such.

Also, got 5 gal of Chris's Graff going now and DAMN it smells fantastic right now. It'll prob start throwing some sulfur but for now its burping pure sweet apple frangrence.

Gawddamnit. Apparently, I am unable to make a starter. I'm like 3 for 8. Seriously. Gonna pitch some of that dry Belgian yeast t-58 and hope my Vienna-based Belgian pale ale doesn't such.

Also, got 5 gal of Chris's Graff going now and DAMN it smells fantastic right now. It'll prob start throwing some sulfur but for now its burping pure sweet apple frangrence.

I never noticed it throwing up sulfur.

BTW, the graff's not my recipe, it's Brandon O's. Got to give credit where credit is due ...

I thank the bank for the money, thank God for you ...

Last cider/apelwein I made threw mad sulfur, but it was all apple juice and some honey. Unless I'm getting my batches confused. Which is possible, but I think "rhino farts" is the common smell when you make normal cider.

A little yeast nutrient should reduce the smell of apple wine fermentations.

Ahhhh. I did put some Wyeast nutrient in this batch of Graff and it is indeed smelling a LOT better than the straight apple wine I've don't before.

Hey guys, I am from Ocala so I figured that was close enough to Gainesville to say whats sup. I've been in Ocala for about 7 months now and I know a few homebrewers here from work but I was wondering if there was any clubs or organizations in the area. I have never been to the homebrew store(s) in gainesville but I hear there is one there, which would make it prolly the closest to me.

Anyways just wanted to say hey and get a feel for the Central Florida brewing community, judging by the size of this post I imagine there are a good amount of brewers in the area.

I would consider us North Florida but Welcome!

we do have Hoggetowne ale works up here in Gainesville.

This thread is large because we use it to communicate for gatherings and such.

the homebrew scene isn't huge but we're here I guess. I like it. You should come to the next brew class in february. or should I say daylong hangout?

Hey Patrck, I am also from Ocala as well as OcalaScott. If you ever need anything let me know thru a PM. Between Scott and Myself we almost always have a brew session going on any given weekend.

Yeah, well I got plastered Friday and Saturday night. Beat that.

I was drinking Coors Light for God's sakes!

Yeah, next brew class is Feb 20.
Brew at my place this weekend. All is welcome.

Thanks for the welcome guys. I brewed this past Friday. It is bubbling away in the fermenter. I will watch this thread it would be cool to get with some of you guys to taste someone elses beer and see your brew process. I am still using all my old all grain equipment I used in college but would like to upgrade my gear once I get room to brew. Currently in an apartment but I'll probably rent or buy a house when the lease expires.

elmetal, I think I would like to come if I can clear it with the gf. Can you PM me some time and place details, perhaps a phone number as well.

I'll try to make it too if Chris would be so kind and send me his contact info. I've been dying for a brew session and having some good homebrew with you guys.

so I got about half a tank, you got a tad of propane? if we use the heatstick we should be good for the whole 2 batches but who knows! I dont wanna be left crying while driving to home depot

so I got about half a tank, you got a tad of propane? if we use the heatstick we should be good for the whole 2 batches but who knows! I dont wanna be left crying while driving to home depot

just thinking about this. the heatstick is really long, so it will be good for heating up mash water, sparge water will be too shallow. so far on the amber I got 14 gallon mash and 3 gallons sparge. i'm sure the apa will be close to that. i'll probably go fill up my tank though I really don't want to. i don't want to drive to home depot while brewing even less, though.

How many different beers are getting brewed on Sunday?

we're brewing an amber and an apa. if anyone wants to brew just bring your ****. except for you extract people, that's just boring.

i wont be brewing for my house is full of fermenting beverages at the moment. i will however be drinking.

Still bitter huh Chris? Also how is extract more boring? We spend most of the time drinking anyway and arguing over which thermometer is accurate.

because you make tea and then boil it. where's the vorlauf?

if felipe would stop dunkin my thermometer like a donut in coffee we'd probably be ok.

except for you extract people, that's just boring.

WTF bro. So I can't get my brew on with a Mr. Beer kit on Sunday? THAT'S PROFILING.

If it's cool, I might bring my Tea Bagger setup and throw a batch into my no-chill vessel. I guess I'm a lazy bastich cause I've been letting my last few batches sit sealed up for several days before I get around to pitching yeast. No problems yet. And I swear to god that it seems that yeast hit quicker on my no-chilled batches. Last one I pitched took off in less than 6 hours from dry T-58 sprinkled straight into the carboy.

Back