FWH? does it improve your beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EO74

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Im always trying to tweek my processes and recipes, i dont mind extra work if i can taste the results (i.e cereal mash).I've been researching this to death but i was hopping someone could chime in if they feel it has really improved there beers flavor over traditional flavor additions! All the research i've read seems to sugest FWH improves ones beer.

For me, the jury is still out. I scoured the internet and there are varying opinions about FWH. From how to calculate the IBU contribution - anywhere from a 20 minute equivalent to 60+ (I'm not sure yet where I sit)... to the imparted bitterness stated to be a little more smooth/blended than other additions. I'm also interested to hear other opinions.

It's no different than many other brewing techniques in that it's really your choice. Because the hops are added pre-boil the theory is that some of the flavor aspects that would normally be boiled off are given enough time to "soak in" to the beer. I was adding hops pre-boil many years ago, long before I had ever heard of the phrase. FWH IMO is more applicable to beers with a big hop presence and multiple additions as it seems to help blend the transitions between additions and yields a smoother beer.

For hoppy beers, I almost always do FWH with the first hops addition. I guess it's because, well, why not? I fully get the bitterness (not like a 20 minute hops addition like some say), and it is supposedly a "smoother bitterness" although I couldn't say that for a fact because I've never done two identical batches side-by-side. I do like the effects, and that's all that I really care about anyway!

I calculate the IBUs as a 75 minute addition or 60 minute addition, depending on the length of the boil (usually 60 minutes) and that seems to work just fine for me. I use "good" flavored hops like amarillo, centennial, etc. But I like chinook very much and have used it as well. I don't pick up any discernable hops flavor, like I would with a 20 minute addition, but I don't pick up any harshness, either.

Try it several times and let your taste buds guide you. Over time, using Promash, I've developed a pretty good feel for what the IBU's it calculates taste like. I don't worry about how accurate the IBU value is. I just use it as a relative guide for MY taste buds.

Everthing i've read seemed to point to the 20 min addition, but to me it seems like it should be the 60 like yooper said.Im gonna try it as the 60 min in my next batch.

I split the difference and calculate it as a 40 min addition. I do it on almost every brew I make but I do it as much for boil-over prevention than I do anything else. I always use low alpha acid hops and usually only 1/2 oz so even if my '40 min' calculation is off it won't be by too much. I've never done a side-by-side test so I can't say it has improved my beers or not.

I think the point is to treat it as a 20-minute addition for flavor, while the bitterness is still calc'ed as 60+ minutes. Total bitterness is higher than a regular 60-minute addition (since the alpha acids are being isomerized while sitting in the hot wort pre-boil), but the character of the bitterness is different (typically smoother), lowering perceived bitterness. At least, this is my experience. The Rager IBU formula used by BeerSmith certainly indicates full isomeration.

I think the point is to treat it as a 20-minute addition for flavor, while the bitterness is still calc'ed as 60+ minutes. Total bitterness is higher than a regular 60-minute addition (since the alpha acids are being isomerized while sitting in the hot wort pre-boil), but the character of the bitterness is different (typically smoother), lowering perceived bitterness. At least, this is my experience. The Rager IBU formula used by BeerSmith certainly indicates full isomeration.

This is how I think of it, bitterness pretty close to a 60 min. addition, but more flavor that one would get from a 60 min addition. I have hard water, and this has also helped smooth out the bitterness. I believe the working hypothesis is that by adding the hops at around 165 -170 F, there are some reactions occurring that stabilize some of the flavor compounds so they are not lost during the boil

I FWH almost all of my beers, I do find a nice smooth bitterness and a nice full hop flavor in my beer, I have done the same recipe several times, and done a normal 60 min addition and done it as a FWH, I prefer the FWH profile, I find it works well with bigger late hop additions, and I agree it does lower the risk of boilover from an addition at the start of the boil.

I was told by Ray Daniels that the FWH technique came from a German brewery. They were producing a lager with a single bittering addition of about 60 BU's. Because of the harsh bitterness in their beer they added 20% of their hop addition when they began to transfer to the boil kettle. The smoother bitterness came from the hop flavor balancing the bitterness.

I can't confirm the accuracy of this story, nor have I done a FWH addition. I can say that when I add an extra about of finishing hops my bitterness tastes "smoother".

Back