Fusel oils and closed fermentation question.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ronjer

Reaction score
I read in Papazian's book that the best way to remove fusel oils in the krausen is to use a blow off tube and let it purge itself out. I use closed buckets and airlocks. Will the blowoff tube and carboy method improve my beers by expelling these oils?, or is the closed method I'm employing now be o.k.? BTW, I have noticed a little something (can't quite define, the 'twang' perhaps) in my beers sometimes, but nobody else seems to notice. I also do not have a tight control of ferm temps, but fairly controlled. Until reading this I was blaming temp flucuations.

Thanks and a good weekend to all!

Dont worry if you dont have blow-off. I have used a closed blowoff/airlock rig for more than 10 years. Concern yourself with primary fermentation temps and pitching temp/pitching rate. Temp fluctuations IS probably your problem. Most people that use extract suffer from "twang" at some point. AG brewers can experience it too but not usually.

High fermentation temperatures produce fusel alcohols. The only way to deal with them is to control the temperatures. If your fermentation is producing them, only a tiny percentage would be in the krausen.

High fermentation temperatures produce fusel alcohols. The only way to deal with them is to control the temperatures. If your fermentation is producing them, only a tiny percentage would be in the krausen.

What he said!

One of the cheapest easiest temp control is to do the t-shirt/icebath/fan method...I use a simple rubbermade bin....you can get fancier, and modifiy an ice cube, or get into temp control through refrigerators, but if you are just starting out this works fine. I can get down to the high 50's for the first 12-24 hours of fermentation using frozen water in various sizes including 2 liter soada bottles.

Having a fan blowing on it adds a few more degrees.

brewcloset1.jpg

fermenting.jpg

Back