Funny things you've overheard about beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
At the best craft beer store in my city (Aylmer, Qc), I was looking for a specific brand of Gluten-free beer for my celiac girlfriend. The salesman asks me: "Is she celiac, or intelorant? If she's only intolerant, she can have Sapporo. It's brewed with rice. There's no barley in it, so there is no gluten". I kind of stared weirdly at him, before deciding not to get into a brewing discussion.

Kudos to Zima for sticking with the same graphics! If it was good enough for the 90's...

No high​ grav zima though
zima-xxx-sixpack-1.jpg

5.9%!

It's a limited release, and they only want $6.99 per CASE?

Looks more like someone found a pallet of this back in the warehouse behind the fresh beer and decided to move it.
The case is marked 4x6-packs. I'm assuming the cases on top are opened, and it's $6.99 a six-pack. Otherwise, I'm going to go out and buy myself a couple cases of Zima and distill a Zima brandy. Who's in?

I remember a Zima Dark, not a lime, though. Although I suppose they could have released one regionally, for test-marketing.
I don't remember Zima with Lime, but I remember Coke with Lime. Their marketing slogan was, "Coke With Lime: it's Coke... with lime!"

Original.

I must have been about 8 or 9. I was walking around the College World Series with my family. We walked past a Zima trailer which was handing out samples. They looked at me, didn't think twice and handed a sample to me and my other 4 siblings who were all CLEARLY underage. The times have changed :)

On another note, I walked into a new beer store the other day. I've seen it several times before but never stopped. It looked like it may carry some good stuff, so I ask the two ladies working there if they had any sour beers. They looked confused and asked if I meant 'like, beer that has gone bad??', then one of them has an 'ah-ha' moment, runs to the back and rushes out with Lime-arita and Straw-berita..Yes, in their defense, they are sour. I bought a sixer of Deschutes Pinedrops IPA and never looked back

Zima Dark? What was it, 1 SRM?

It was nasty, is what it was. My wife liked Zima, and I had a couple at a party and thought they were OK, so we went to pick some up. All we could find was this Zima Gold, and of course we had to buy a case (thanks PA!). I think that case lasted a good six months, in a house where we normally went through a couple cases a week.

With regards to that earlier part of the thread about how drinking different beverages would lead to bad hangovers and worse drunkiness, as a rule of thumb we (me and my mates) had (back in the 80's) "you had enough if you either could not recall how much you had of one drink, or how much you had of different drinks".
Because 4 beer, 2 white and 1 red wine would be more difficult to remember than just 9 beers. And 'having enough' meant 'not getting any more' so we were pretty conscious about our intakes! :D

I must have been about 8 or 9. I was walking around the College World Series with my family. We walked past a Zima trailer which was handing out samples. They looked at me, didn't think twice and handed a sample to me and my other 4 siblings who were all CLEARLY underage. The times have changed :)

On another note, I walked into a new beer store the other day. I've seen it several times before but never stopped. It looked like it may carry some good stuff, so I ask the two ladies working there if they had any sour beers. They looked confused and asked if I meant 'like, beer that has gone bad??', then one of them has an 'ah-ha' moment, runs to the back and rushes out with Lime-arita and Straw-berita..Yes, in their defense, they are sour. I bought a sixer of Deschutes Pinedrops IPA and never looked back

Hopefully i havent already told this story in this thread. oh well, here goes:

I have a semi-local taphouse that carries sours regularly. I was drinking a sour that I had never heard of before, I could clearly tell it wasn't a kettle sour and was curious if the lady knew off the top of her head (or had a info card or something) what bugs were in the sour.

She looks at me weird and walks over to another server, I can hear her whisper 'he just asked if there are bugs in that beer'. She comes back, 'you mean like bugs BUGS?'

I had to explain it to her, she said 'oh okay' and walks away. I never got my answer.

I have a semi-local taphouse that carries sours regularly. I was drinking a sour that I had never heard of before, I could clearly tell it wasn't a kettle sour and was curious if the lady knew off the top of her head (or had a info card or something) what bugs were in the sour.

She looks at me weird and walks over to another server, I can hear her whisper 'he just asked if there are bugs in that beer'. She comes back, 'you mean like bugs BUGS?'

I had to explain it to her, she said 'oh okay' and walks away. I never got my answer.

Word is going to get around that you make your beer with bugs and nobody will want to try it, LOL! Hmmm...maybe I should try that...more for me! :mug:

I am pretty sure I did post this here but it kinda applies...

I was at a local place and the bartender was telling some guest that they used "sour hops" to make the sours. Same thing, I took him aside and explained how sours are made and asked him to chat with the brewer so he could get a better understanding and explain it better. He was actually appreciative that I helped him not make the same mistake again.

I had a tap room server tell me they carbonated one of their beers with nitrogen.

I looked at my buddys with a big grin on my face to see if they caught it and they didn't...

The server was stood there like: "What?"

I then had to explain you can only carbonate with CO2... They made sure to make me feel like a nerd the rest of the night.

*I also know beer gas usually is 70%/30% nitrogen*to CO2 so you can carbonate with that.

I had a tap room server tell me they carbonated one of their beers with nitrous.

I looked at my buddys with a big grin on my face to see if they caught it and they didn't...

The server was stood there like: "What?"

I then had to explain you can only carbonate with CO2... They made sure to make me feel like a nerd the rest of the night.

*I also know beer gas usually is 70%/30% nitrous to CO2 so you can carbonate with that.

Beer gas contains Nitrogen (N2) not nitrous (N2O)

Overheard in the convenience store line:

Lady to guy behind her: I don't understand how you can drink IPA. It's too...sour.

Guy: Have you tried Manny's pale ale. It's like Guinness but with more flavor

I know I've seen similar threads on here but I couldn't find any so I figured I'd start a new one.

I just went to Epic Brewing here in Salt Lake City to grab a sandwich in their tapless tap room (Utah thing). There were a couple of homebrewers that were asking questions of the guy behind the counter...stuff like how to increase the alcohol level in homebrew and such. Then one says to the other, "Dude, don't brew a Corona...brew something more exotic...like a Dos Equis or a Negro Modello."

I know everyone sounds like a ****** when they start off a sentence with "not to be a ******..." Screw it...so not to be a ******, but I just about laughed out loud when he referred to Dos Equis and Negro Modello as exotic. I didn't actually laugh out loud, so hopefully I'm only half a ****** at most.

Ok, so anyone else overheard funny comments like this?

i also live in Utah. i don't know why but Mormons are really into learning about how to brew beer. this lady my wife works with asked how it was going. i said my second batch is almost done but its still a bit flat. she looked shocked and said beer is carbonated!?!

My father-in-law is an enthusiastic but inexperienced trier of craft beer. He went to dinner at the house of a colleague who happens to be a homebrewer. He came back raving about this beer the guy gave him to sample. He said it was like nothing he'd ever had, and said it was called "Hyzen Weffer." It took my wife and I like a half hour to realize, "wait... hefeweizen?" And he was like, "yeah! That's it! Amazing!!"

@Mainer, Your FIL story is good, but I also like your avatar. Several years ago, my dad came to visit me. He was an avid bird watcher with multiple bird feeders, and he was constantly battling the squirrels who came to "steal" food from the feeders. While visiting, he was admiring my collection of birds at my feeder and suet. Then he saw a squirrel at the corn I put out for them. He gasped and said, "You're FEEDING them?!?" ...and just when I had earned a measure of respect.

Squirrels are people too.

i also live in Utah. i don't know why but Mormons are really into learning about how to brew beer. this lady my wife works with asked how it was going. i said my second batch is almost done but its still a bit flat. she looked shocked and said beer is carbonated!?!

I'm interested in knowing more about why they are curious. I know that they don't use alcohol/caffeine/etc, but I also know that they are into general food storage, preparation, and lower-technology food production knowledge. I suppose that low-alcohol beverages could be considered an end-of-the-world way to make water safe to drink, just as it was for most of human history?

@Mainer, Your FIL story is good, but I also like your avatar. Several years ago, my dad came to visit me. He was an avid bird watcher with multiple bird feeders, and he was constantly battling the squirrels who came to "steal" food from the feeders. While visiting, he was admiring my collection of birds at my feeder and suet. Then he saw a squirrel at the corn I put out for them. He gasped and said, "You're FEEDING them?!?" ...and just when I had earned a measure of respect.

Squirrels are people too.
Ha. Thanks. We used to come out to the car in the morning to find half-bagels stuck to our windshield, cream cheese side down. We wondered which of our neighbors had it in for us. Then one day this little guy showed up on our window sill, munching away. Mystery solved! Somebody in the neighborhood must work at a bakery and bring home day-olds.

I'm interested in knowing more about why they are curious. I know that they don't use alcohol/caffeine/etc, but I also know that they are into general food storage, preparation, and lower-technology food production knowledge. I suppose that low-alcohol beverages could be considered an end-of-the-world way to make water safe to drink, just as it was for most of human history?

this is a very good thought. i would bet this is a reason why. also i think the idea of brewing beer is "illegal" in Utah or its really bad i don't know its the last thing i had expected.

at a beer tasting event - untrained volunteer, volunteering inaccurate information:

"It's slightly sweet because of the hops - hops add sweetness"

I had to correct him, couldn't let it slide.

I brought some homebrew to my brother-in-law's place. He's a home brewer, and most of his friends are beer people. One of his friends who was there was drinking my rauchbier and asked, "So, what did you use for a base?" Assuming prior knowledge, I said, "I used about half beechwood smoked, half light Munich, and a few ounces of crystal just to give it a little depth." She gave me a really strange look and said. "Oh. Cool. So... is it fruit or grain or sugar or honey or something?"

Back