Funny things you've overheard about beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After all this & the TR,I'm on my 2nd beer. don't tell SWMBO...I said I'd wait till later yesterday. Cue dueling banjos here...:ban::tank::cross:

I was at a going away party, and was explaining how homebrewing works, simplifying it as best I could for all... and one dude chimes up (while drinking my delicious weizendoppelbock) and says "I think brewing should be left to the pros, though"... I then asked him how one becomes a pro if they don't homebrew first - all I got were blank stares.

This is the same guy that said "I have to make an effort to not put siracha on everything, it's just like water to me"

Hiptsers...

I was at a going away party, and was explaining how homebrewing works, simplifying it as best I could for all... and one dude chimes up (while drinking my delicious weizendoppelbock) and says "I think brewing should be left to the pros, though"... I then asked him how one becomes a pro if they don't homebrew first - all I got were blank stares.

This is the same guy that said "I have to make an effort to not put siracha on everything, it's just like water to me"

Hiptsers...

I sincerely hope you cut the *****er off after that comment.

Or get his immidiat comments on what he's drinking now after that one. could be interesting for the rest,embarrasing for him...:D:drunk:

I'm going to have to side with Fishin-Jay on this one; there are stupid questions. Although not asking a question because you're afraid you'll sound stupid is even stupider, a lot of the time....:)

But the questions that bother me are what I call lazy questions: people who come online wanting to be totally spoon-fed. They ask questions that they could answer themselves with a little research - expecting someone else to do the heavy lifting for them, and sum everything up in an easy to read and understand Cliff Notes version.

As a hypothetical (but not too far fetched) example, I can easily imagine someone coming on HBT and asking, "what is a three-tier system? Is it a good way to brew? How can I build one?"

My answer would be, "google is your friend." Because all the information he's asking for is already at his fingertips; he shouldn't be leaning on other people to repackage it and sum it up for him.

Next time you get that. Try. Lmgtfy.com. you gotta try its hilarious!!! Lol

My fave beer mis-comment so far goes back at least 15 years. I was living in rural Northern CA (Eureka). Roommate and I walked over to the nearby liquor store to grab a 6-pack, grabbed Anchor Steam. Checker charged about $2 more than we expected. Upon questioning why the price was so much higher than posted, he/she informed us that imports were more expensive than domestics.

Apparently, the 200 mile trip from San Francisco qualified AS as an import.

"Did you know that one pint of Guinness has (insert some absurd number usually between 1000 and 2000) calories in it?"

I finally had someone tell me the whole Guinness puts rotten meat in the fermenter thing

So in prep for the annual Christmas decorating party my parents have each year I asked my dad what the beer situation was at the house.

Dad: well we still have some of the Sam Adams IPA and some of the SN in the fridge. And a whole bunch of coors lite.

Me and my BIN who also brews look questionably at him.

Me: why the coors lite?

Dad: well it's because it's basically nothing.

All three of us had a good laugh about that one. My dad usually makes sure to have a supply of good beers on hand and always ones that an have their bottle reused.

Since turning 21 I've been on the long process of educating him about better beer. The very first step was getting him away from cans and into glass bottles to remove that bad taste. Now he will drink any beer at least once.

Renegades_Brew said:
The very first step was getting him away from cans and into glass bottles to remove that bad taste. Now he will drink any beer at least once.
This is a funny thing in and of itself. Cans are coated inside. Never got a weird taste from 21A, SNPA, or Sly Fox in cans.

Cans are a far superior method of packaging beer. Most craft beers are bottled because the equipment is much cheaper. It's not because it's better.

It's only in the past couple years that the stigma of "cans=crappy beer" has started to lift.

They're easier, cleaner, and cheaper to recycle.
They're light-safe so they preserve beer better than bottles.
They're lighter for cheaper, more cost-effective, environmentally-friendly transportation.

Thanks to breweries like Oskar Blues that are fighting the good fight, they're making some good ground in the quality beer realm. Now if only someone would make a cheap (automated, please!) canner for homebrewers...

You guys are all wrong about cans being better; they are absolutely horrible for beer and everyone needs to get away from them. ;)

PSSST: you guys need to be quiet about cans being better or else the breweries might all start going to them and we won't be able to go about and buy new cases of bottles for us home-brewers to use with free beer in them. :D

A brewer was at the LHBS and the topic of cans came up. Someone said beer from cans tasted like metal. His reply was awesome. He said "Well if you drink FROM the can then of course it tastes like metal. Your lips are actually touching metal <gives a look like the guy is a moron>. If drinking beer that is packaged in cans makes them taste bad then why is kegged beer so delicious? It is just like a large can." I will always remember that whenever anyone starts dogging on cans as being sub par.

have a buddy who owns a mobile canning business. they roll up to the brewery in a truck and can from there, so the brewery doesn't have to spend for their own canning line.

a couple weeks ago, they had a homebrew canning day, bring in your batch of homebrew and they will can it, for $10 a case.

A brewer was at the LHBS and the topic of cans came up. Someone said beer from cans tasted like metal. His reply was awesome. He said "Well if you drink FROM the can then of course it tastes like metal. Your lips are actually touching metal <gives a look like the guy is a moron>. If drinking beer that is packaged in cans makes them taste bad then why is kegged beer so delicious? It is just like a large can." I will always remember that whenever anyone starts dogging on cans as being sub par.
Odds are it was brewed and fermented in metal containers before anyway ;)

Glass bottles are great when they are reused and not recycled after being used once, but I don't think that's common practice in the US.

I got over the canned beer thing several years ago when I started drinking Surly. While on a tour of their brewery, the guy listed off advantages, including that it doesn't skunk, it chills faster, more efficient packing and shipping, you can bring it to parks and beaches that ban glass containers, etc.

Now if I could just get over the stigma of screw-top wine bottles... ;)

Black Island Brewer said:
If I could can, I would. One local craft beer switched to cans, it's a great package.

Oh crap, did we just do a "well, actually"?

I can my homebrew...in a 5 gallon keg.

Dad - "this taste like spoiled Pepto-Bismol"

About my Andes Mint Stout :cross:

I should have known taking home brew to thanksgiving would not have gone over well. They finish off 5 bottles of wine instead.

Ive leaned that I will now only brew for myself...
Will not make anymore special holiday beers except maybe a 1 gal batch for myself. :rockin:

Ok, Well 8 years ago when I got my dad to do the switch to bottles it was still a situation of what comes in bottles is much better than what comes in cans.

At least at the local grocery store at the time.

Yellowirenut said:
Dad - "this taste like spoiled Pepto-Bismol" About my Andes Mint Stout :cross: I should have known taking home brew to thanksgiving would not have gone over well. They finish off 5 bottles of wine instead. Ive leaned that I will now only brew for myself... Will not make anymore special holiday beers except maybe a 1 gal batch for myself. :rockin:

Or brew something safer. A mint stout isn't going to appeal to everyone.

Yellowirenut said:
I will now only brew for myself...

Started doing this about a year ago. My family is the same way. I brought sixers to a couple of their functions. No one touched any, yet I couldn't take it back home because they insisted they were going to "drink it later".

Conveniently no one could remember what it was like when I asked how it was and I never got the bottles or carriers back. Probably tossed everything including the beer itself.

Those are my beer uneducated family members. My beer "educated" friends and family members have to act snobby about everything I make and remind me how much better the commercial equivalent is.

Now I make only the beer the wife and I enjoy. I'm much happier being stingy and not seeking the approval of a-holes.

Dad - "this taste like spoiled Pepto-Bismol"

About my Andes Mint Stout :cross:

I should have known taking home brew to thanksgiving would not have gone over well. They finish off 5 bottles of wine instead.

Ive leaned that I will now only brew for myself...
Will not make anymore special holiday beers except maybe a 1 gal batch for myself. :rockin:

Or brew something safer. A mint stout isn't going to appeal to everyone.

Yea stouts are not easy for the typical BMC drinker to take interest in. Thats 95% of my family. Yesterday they were all drinking BMC, OK cheap wine and mixed drinks. The fire ball whiskey was liquid red hots tasty for a few OZ then blah.

My uncle surprised me when he tried the commercial pumpkin ale I brought and the JAOM. He liked them both.

My brother made my day when he finished his Gordon Bierch and then had a full glass of JAOM (sending thanks to all the great people here).

If I can get my dad, brother and uncle drinking what I make more of my family will at least try a sample.

Who needs just one caster for their conical?

caster.JPG

Started doing this about a year ago. My family is the same way. I brought sixers to a couple of their functions. No one touched any, yet I couldn't take it back home because they insisted they were going to "drink it later".

Conveniently no one could remember what it was like when I asked how it was and I never got the bottles or carriers back. Probably tossed everything including the beer itself.

Those are my beer uneducated family members. My beer "educated" friends and family members have to act snobby about everything I make and remind me how much better the commercial equivalent is.

Now I make only the beer the wife and I enjoy. I'm much happier being stingy and not seeking the approval of a-holes.

I don't blame you for being stingy.

Don't waste beer on people who don't appreciate it. All you can do is offer, and if they refuse or don't like it, that's OK, it's their prerogative. But my rule is this: If they don't like it now, they won't like it later. Therefore, I'm not leaving any behind if I don't think they will truly enjoy it. I'll take the remaining bottles home. Because if I leave it behind, they will likely toss them out and feel like they have to fib later and say they liked it.

No matter how well we evangelize our craft, there will always be those who simply cannot or will not acquire the taste. I still don't give up on trying to get someone to try new beers at first, but once they express their dislike it's fruitless to keep trying with that person.

My dad reached into the fridge for a Stella tonight and came out with a bottle of Jäger. He said "did Stella get a new bottle" followed by "they basically look the same." It's fracking hilarious. In retrospect though, I admit they look just a little bit similar. Good thing he didn't swig from the wrong bottle (not a liquor guy).

image-3329711033.jpg

My dad reached into the fridge for a Stella tonight and came out with a bottle of Jäger. He said "did Stella get a new bottle" followed by "they basically look the same." It's fracking hilarious. In retrospect though, I admit they look just a little bit similar. Good thing he didn't swig from the wrong bottle (not a cough syrup guy).

View attachment 163217

Fix it for ya:mug:

Took a few bottles of my weissbier to my family for the holiday. This was the first time and for the most part my family are BMC drinkers. I offered my mom my mug and her first reaction was "blehck! Well it's not that bad" and proceeds to finish off my wife's bottle of store bought lambic.

My dad will try any day, but I don't good out hope, as he told Me years ago that he drinks bud lt specifically because he doesn't like how beer tastes. He just likes that sleep is easier after a six pack. On the other hand, I wish my friends didn't like my beer so much.

cpl-america said:
My dad will try any day, but I don't good out hope, as he told Me years ago that he drinks bud lt specifically because he doesn't like how beer tastes. He just likes that sleep is easier after a six pack. On the other hand, I wish my friends didn't like my beer so much.
I always wake up 3 hours in if I get a buzz going before bed and then can't sleep the rest of the night. I tend to stay up and wait until I'm sobered up before bed. Rather get 6 hours sleep instead of 3.

My MIL on a goose island Christmas brew she brought: "there's a bunch of stuff on the bottom - I think I have to shake it"

Noooooooooooooooo!

Thankfully all three daughters yelled, and caught her before the beersplosion. Also thankful that it wasn't my house.

My MIL on a goose island Christmas brew she brought: "there's a bunch of stuff on the bottom - I think I have to shake it"

Noooooooooooooooo!

Thankfully all three daughters yelled, and caught her before the beersplosion. Also thankful that it wasn't my house.

Were you letting her drink out of the bottle?

Back