Funny things you've overheard about beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LOL - yeah, I've seen those made with other types of bags, too. Definitely a hipster item.

That being said... that "23 things homebrewers hate" list, the only thing on that list that's ever irritated me is something I've heard almost exclusively from hipsters: "I think beer is something left to the pros". WTF? The whole hipster subculture is about homemade/artisinal stuff. People can definitely make bad homebrew, but they can make bad bread, jam, jewelry, etc...

Also, I hate hipsters. Most of my friends say I'm a hipster, however, I barely qualify. I just like artisinal stuff and genuinely like nerdy/geeky things that aren't in the standard social norm.

Eff you hipsters for existing and making people think I'm one of you.

A hipster isn't someone who likes artisanal things or is obsessed with music. It's not even someone who did it before it was cool.

A hipster is someone who co-opts an aspect of a different culture (usually slightly older) and uses it to be amusing or interesting. It's as much about the intent and sincerity as it is the actual practice/artifact.

Example, poor people wear what they can afford at Goodwill. Hipsters wear it because it's amusing. It "ironic," as they call it. Or they pay big bucks for the same thing at a "vintage" store.

Being geeky/nerdy about something is just plain geeky/nerdy. So your friends are wrong. You're just a geek/nerd.

That Coors light or bud light is a good beer. Don't get me wrong, I will drink it, but it is only a step up from water or ice tea to quench my thirst.

That Coors light or bud light is a good beer. Don't get me wrong, I will drink it, but it is only a step up from water or ice tea to quench my thirst.

I honestly can't even use it a thirst quencher. It genuinely tastes bad to me. I'll choose water over that stuff.

Light beers don't really taste bad to me; they just don't have much taste at all. I don't buy them - but I don't turn my friends down when they offer me one, either.

Likewise, free beer is free beer, and brewing my own has actually made me try more brands/styles than I did before. Before I just stuck to light ibu ambers, now ill try anything

Last night at the bar after agreeing to let a girl have a glass from the Sam Rebel IPA pitcher I had:

"No I LOVE IPA's! But Sam Adams just shoves a bunch of hops in it!"

You're welcome. *****.

Last night at the bar after agreeing to let a girl have a glass from the Sam Rebel IPA pitcher I had:

You're welcome. *****.

Give her a stone ruination and watch her head explode

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

You're welcome. *****.

Is that wrong?

Whether you like it or not, not liking it because it's hoppy? And you "love IPA's"? :confused: Not to mention complaining about free beer when you are aware of what beer it is beforehand...

Whether you like it or not, not liking it because it's hoppy? And you "love IPA's"? :confused: Not to mention complaining about free beer when you are aware of what beer it is beforehand...

Not to "well, actually", but my wife loves a fruity citrusy IPA like Two Hearted, but can't stand the catty "dirty" IPAs like Ranger.

Bitching about free beer, though is lame sauce though.

Not terribly funny but it did brighten my day. Over the Easter weekend I went to the parents house and brought some of my finest IPA to date. I got a phone call yesterday and during the conversation the topic came up that my father decided to session it. 3 @ 6.5% right after one another (probably 1-1.5 hours), yeah... one would notice that.

Not to "well, actually", but my wife loves a fruity citrusy IPA like Two Hearted, but can't stand the catty "dirty" IPAs like Ranger.

Bitching about free beer, though is lame sauce though.

And an IPA should be stronger and maltier to stand up to the hops. So an IPA where they just add a ton if hops (without adjusting the rest of the beer) might not be the best IPA.

I think the poster was "bitter" because he gave some chick his beer for free.

And an IPA should be stronger and maltier to stand up to the hops. So an IPA where they just add a ton if hops (without adjusting the rest of the beer) might not be the best IPA.

I think the poster was "bitter" because he gave some chick his beer for free.

And didn't get her number in the process. Though, that's probably a common occurrence if he's calling a woman a ***** because of something stupid she said about beer.

I agree with the other comments here. Doesn't even make a decent thirst, quenching lawnmower beer anymore. When I drink one nowadays it starts giving me a headache within a very short period of time. Other (better) beers don't do that to me. Nor does homebrewed beer. :rockin:

You're welcome. *****.

I find SA's Rebel IPA to be an incredibly weak IPA. It's not terrible, but it's not great either. Even for a session IPA it kind of misses the mark. Just sayin.:drunk:

Oh, and no one should ever whine about free beer.

I did a talk on beer styles at the local public library yesterday (which I followed up with a tour and tasting at the brewery, much fun), anyway, I made a special point of debunking the 'bock is the stuff cleaned from the barrels' B.S. and explained why it wasn't true. Still, as soon as the talk was done, dude comes up to the front and starts throwing me some questions that weren't covered in the talk, cool, fine, expected that… BUT he then goes on to tell me about a brewery where he used to live in Pennsylvania that "every fall they opened the tanks and pulled out this black stuff and…" :/ I calmly explained it to him… again… but it took a couple rounds to sink in…

I had a co-worker telling me how homebrewed beverages have more sugar in them. He was explaining how at a nutritionist talk about the EVIL of sugars they showed clips of wine, beer, mead, and Popcorn Sutton's moonshine and they all contain GROSS amounts of sugar. Then stated if they wanted to drink any alcohol that vodka is the best because it doesn't contain any sugar as it's made from potatoes :smack::rolleyes:
I started to explain how the yeast consumes the sugar he stopped me and said "So now you know more then a Nutritionist?" No just more then that one..... All the while he drinking a Monster energy drink:p

That's what happens when they listen to other folks ideas/falsehoods rather than understanding the actual processes involved.

Yeah… what really blew my mind, though, was that I had actually covered that very topic in my talk just minutes before! :drunk:

Wow, nevermind. I guess somebody saying they don't like an IPA (while claiming to love IPAs) because it's hoppy is perfectly normal. I now return you to your regularly scheduled thread derailments with this post.

Eff you hipsters for existing and making people think I'm one of you.

*roaring applause*

I have been thrown into the hipster category on more than 1 occasion.

I wore a black hoodie when I was 10. Years before pop punk made it the thing. People thought I was into it, I wasn't. I buy clothes at the thrift store because $3 for a pair of pants my job can destroy in a month makes more sense than $35 for the same month. My wife and I are gluten free, not because of the fad, but because we genuinely feel better without it, and sick with it. And pursuit of GF beer is what got me into homebrewing, because I can certainly make something better than redbridge for cheaper than $10 per six pack.

Just about everything I do, I do because it's practical, not because I want to influence other people opinions of me. The only approval I'm searching for is SWMBO's and I even tune her out sometimes.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have to bike to the grocery store. (I'm fat, don't want to be, and my pre-existing lard is cheaper than gasoline.)

I agree with the other comments here. Doesn't even make a decent thirst, quenching lawnmower beer anymore. When I drink one nowadays it starts giving me a headache within a very short period of time. Other (better) beers don't do that to me. Nor does homebrewed beer. :rockin:

Try coors banquet. It doesn't give me a headache like all the others do. I think it has to do with the proportion of rice or corn to malt, because it is a tiny bit darker and has a little more body than the usual light beers.

Also make sure you read the article about the Trappists voting to start calling all their beers IPAs. I had a good laugh at that one.

#7 — The “Just Had a Post of His Ripped Apart on an Online Beer Forum So He’s Making a Stupid List in Order to Get Back at Them and Thereby Make Himself Feel Better” Guy

Ha! Nice.

Back