Funny things you've overheard about beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For transportation. Most states outside of Texas have Open Container laws. The cap makes it a closed container.

Texas also has a very rigid Open Container law. Not sure why you excluded us here. ;)

800px-USA-open-container-law-path2006-2.svg.png

Heard on morning radio recently (they were discussing the purchase of local Boulevard Brewing by Duvel):

Female DJ: Do you like beer?

Male DJ: I like the wheat beers. What I don't like are the ales...

Boulevard Wheat is an ale. I think he should have just answered "No!"

Heard on morning radio recently (they were discussing the purchase of local Boulevard Brewing by Duvel):

Female DJ: Do you like beer?

Male DJ: I like the wheat beers. What I don't like are the ales...

Boulevard Wheat is an ale. I think he should have just answered "No!"

Boulevard got bought? Where have I been? :(

I missed it too, but maybe that has something to do with the increased distribution I've seen on Boulevard brews lately.

They dont take over until the first of the year. nothing will change (at least thats what they say) but duvel is now their cash cow and is probably going to ramp up production and try to distribute is all 50 states

Me (to friend): This is the beer that tastes like sweat
Wife: I thought you said you liked it!
Me: I do like it
Wife: That's gross
Me: I know. It took me a while to realize I liked the taste of sweat
Friend: I don't think I want any

Conversation regarding a saisson

Boulevard got bought? Where have I been? :(

It was announced about a month ago.

Seems like a pretty good deal for Boulevard. They'll stay local. They will benefit from Duvel's distribution channels. Duvel should expand Boulevard's output sooner rather than later (Boulevard has the capability to expand their current brewery from about 200,000 barrels per year to 600,000 barrels per year.) Boulevard founder John McDonald is on the Board of Directors of Duvel. McDonald's kids weren't ready to take over when daddy retires.

Just recently got an anheuser busch keggle and was talking about it to a brew buddy. Somewhere in the conversation my girlfriend looked at me very confusingly and said, "What did you just ask him?" Anheuser Busch to her sounded like I had asked, "And how's your bush?"

This one surely has been done to death... but it still gets me every time I don't recognize a beer in a bar (and one that doesn't have a very descriptive name either) and I ask the waitress/bartender what kind it is. "It's like an ale..."

I know I know, it's probably technically correct, but if someone asks you what time it is you don't say "daytime" either.

I typically just smile, say thank you, and order something else (or wait for another bartender).

This one surely has been done to death... but it still gets me every time I don't recognize a beer in a bar (and one that doesn't have a very descriptive name either) and I ask the waitress/bartender what kind it is. "It's like an ale..."

I know I know, it's probably technically correct, but if someone asks you what time it is you don't say "daytime" either.

I typically just smile, say thank you, and order something else (or wait for another bartender).

Well actually it's not technically correct, if it was an ale it would be an ale... unless ofcoarse it was actually a lager, then saying "it is like an ale" would be correct as far as to say they are both beers but this one is not an ale :D

One of the best reasons for beer advocate. Just look it up and it replaces dumb servers easily

...but if someone asks you what time it is you don't say "daytime" either.

I do all the time; same as when the wife asks what I'm cooking for dinner I tell her food, and when she asks what kind I tell her delicious (you would think after 12 years together she would have learned not to bother asking).:)

for what style a beer is I will use BA. But I tend to search site:homebrewtalk.com the beer if I want to know if it is any good. I just find their reviews are all over the place and rather sensationalistic. I trust you guys and gals far more.

oh definitely take the reviews with a grain of salt, but at least you get to know what the hell the beer is. Especially useful for ambiguous names like clown shoes' muffin top, or tramp stamp.

Trox said:
I do all the time; same as when the wife asks what I'm cooking for dinner I tell her food, and when she asks what kind I tell her delicious (you would think after 12 years together she would have learned not to bother asking).:)
"...what I'm cooking for dinner...". Does she also ask where you bought your skirt?

McDonald's kids weren't ready to take over when daddy retires.

I have seen this on more than one occasion; quite honestly my dad is starting to retire and I wonder if I am ready. The worst part is when the kids are ready to take over and all of a sudden they get cut out of the business courtesy of the board of directors.

How about a beer frustration?

At a restaurant over the weekend that advertises a local rotating handle and the serving staff (including the on duty bartenders) do not know what it is. Not even the brewery name! :eek:

Better yet different restaurant (Ernesto's in Sacramento) same idea. Server told me they were out of the local Beer and I turn around to see the bar tender serving it. :mad:

I have seen this on more than one occasion; quite honestly my dad is starting to retire and I wonder if I am ready. The worst part is when the kids are ready to take over and all of a sudden they get cut out of the business courtesy of the board of directors.

How about a beer frustration?

At a restaurant over the weekend that advertises a local rotating handle and the serving staff (including the on duty bartenders) do not know what it is. Not even the brewery name! :eek:

Better yet different restaurant (Ernesto's in Sacramento) same idea. Server told me they were out of the local Beer and I turn around to see the bar tender serving it. :mad:

The other day I was at Fuzzy tacos and their sign said $2 domestic 18oz beers. I ordered an 8-bit from tallgrass and it was not $2. They are literally ten minutes away from where I was, how more domestic can you get?!

The other day I was at Fuzzy tacos and their sign said $2 domestic 18oz beers. I ordered an 8-bit from tallgrass and it was not $2. They are literally ten minutes away from where I was, how more domestic can you get?!

It's a dumb restaurant syllogism
1) Domestic beer is flavorless
2) The beer you ordered had flavor
therefore
3) The beer you ordered was not domestic

Logically sound, right?

It's a dumb restaurant syllogism
1) Domestic beer is flavorless
2) The beer you ordered had flavor
therefore
3) The beer you ordered was not domestic

Logically sound, right?

I guess that makes sense as to why another place Ive been too listed boulevard wheat as domestic but tank 7 imported!

The same kinds of restaurants will also list Sam Adams or Leinenkugel under "imports." I've even seen Killian's Irish Red listed an an import. :confused:

MaxStout said:
The same kinds of restaurants will also list Sam Adams or Leinenkugel under "imports." I've even seen Killian's Irish Red listed an an import. :confused:[/QUOTE

Of coarse it's an import it has Irish right in the name

My dad was the same way. I'd walk in the living room and ask "whatcha watchin'?" and he'd look me in the eye and say "Television" every time. And yet I'd still come in and ask the same thing next time.

ChefRex said:
I think you'll find a lot of brewers cook. If you happy consuming McD's and Domino's good for you.
I cook,I enjoy it and I enjoy the end results.

I enjoy brewing and cooking. But I also love Mickey D's and Domino's! Best of all worlds!

Back