Funny things you've overheard about beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Interestingly, it's actually the HBT page from this thread that is the first search result for that sentence.

Only if you're a homebrewer, in all likelihood. Search bubbling, as it's called, uses your browsing history to show you results you agree with or like.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/brewer-offers-1m-reward-bigfoot-article-1.1318447
Just saw this pop up on Google news...not sure if it's a serious attempt or a joke

I would bring them a Sierra Nevada barleywine and say, "PAY UP, B*TCH!"

Does Brent Burns Qualify?

brent-burns.jpg

Every month my wife and I would go out with 2 other couple and a different couple got to choose the place. When we first started, one of the guys only drank Blue Moon and Shock Top.

When it was my turn to choose, I picked Howies, a local pizza place with an awesome beer selection and big screens showing the Green Bay play-off game. They didn't have BM or ST so he asked for my recommendation and I pointed him toward New Belgium's Lips of Faith Sour Liche.

Since then, he has gone back many times on his own. This week he tells me "You know how I can't stand dark beers? Well I went to Howie's and tried this beer called Black Racer. It was pitch black but it was so GOOD! Nothing like I figured. I was expecting it to be chewy."

I'm glad he liked it. It is a great beer. It just blows my mind that he would order BLACK Racer, knowing (thinking?) that he doesn't like dark beers!

The foh manager told me tank 7 is a pilsner and Palm is an amber. I told her they weren't but I could give Her a list of beers that are. Then when I suggested a local beer that didn't distribute through who we buy from she told me they were distributing illegally. They aren't, just through another distributor. Crazy lady

Every month my wife and I would go out with 2 other couple and a different couple got to choose the place. When we first started, one of the guys only drank Blue Moon and Shock Top.

When it was my turn to choose, I picked Howies, a local pizza place with an awesome beer selection and big screens showing the Green Bay play-off game. They didn't have BM or ST so he asked for my recommendation and I pointed him toward New Belgium's Lips of Faith Sour Liche.

Since then, he has gone back many times on his own. This week he tells me "You know how I can't stand dark beers? Well I went to Howie's and tried this beer called Black Racer. It was pitch black but it was so GOOD! Nothing like I figured. I was expecting it to be chewy."

I'm glad he liked it. It is a great beer. It just blows my mind that he would order BLACK Racer, knowing (thinking?) that he doesn't like dark beers!

I give him credit for trying new things, even if it was just a "surprise me" order. My wife is fairly narrow in her tastes (wheat beers and brown ales for the most part), but I still encourage her to try a sip of the stuff I get/make to see what else she might enjoy. Every once in a while I'll be shocked at the kind of stuff she ends up liking. She doesn't really care for anything with an assertive hoppiness, yet she tried one of my Bell's Two-Hearted and loved it.

I was at Millers Pub in downtown Chicago last night. They have a rotating tap for a couple local places and I asked what Solemn Oath they had. Her reply was: "hexafoos, it's kind if a hoppy citrus beer." I ordered it with the assumption that it was not in fact a citrus beer. It turned out to be a delicious saison, true to style and well done. I really wish restaurants would educate their staff better.

I was at Millers Pub in downtown Chicago last night. They have a rotating tap for a couple local places and I asked what Solemn Oath they had. Her reply was: "hexafoos, it's kind if a hoppy citrus beer." I ordered it with the assumption that it was not in fact a citrus beer. It turned out to be a delicious saison, true to style and well done. I really wish restaurants would educate their staff better.

They probably just figure their customers will look up the beers on their smartphones anyway.

Went the beer store tonight that sells every beer distributed to Maryland and has the best selection in the area. And a customer asked the cashier where the NA beers are

russrob81 said:
Went the beer store tonight that sells every beer distributed to Maryland and has the best selection in the area. And a customer asked the cashier where the NA beers are

Not to be an ass, but why is that funny?

Not to be an ass, but why is that funny?

Gotta agree here. My dad was a recovering alcoholic until he passed away last year but liked to have an NA beer on occasion. Some folks can't have the alcohol anymore, but still might like to drink a beer now and then. If someone was having trouble finding the NA beer, then the place that carries every beer you could think of would be the place to ask.

ChshreCat said:
Gotta agree here. My dad was a recovering alcoholic until he passed away last year but liked to have an NA beer on occasion. Some folks can't have the alcohol anymore, but still might like to drink a beer now and then. If someone was having trouble finding the NA beer, then the place that carries every beer you could think of would be the place to ask.

Exactly, my FIL is an alcoholic that has been sober 18 years. He still loves to have a beer, it is just of the NA variety.

I'm surprised there actually isn't more NA craft beer, given it's a crowd that often doesn't drink for the buzz.

Falling off topic again, but does anyone know off hand how they remove the alcohol? Vacuum maybe?

Point well taken. Didn't think of that. If the guy wanted NA beer that would be the place to go

I was looking in the IPA section of the liquor store cooler and noticed an older, farmer looking couple (60s ish) standing there. She had a 6pk of NB Ranger IPA. I commented that she had made a good choice thinking it was odd considering her age and that maybe she didn't know what she was buying.

She said "I love this beer, tastes just like grapefruit juice" The husband scrunched up his face in disgust and said "I don't like it, I drink Busch Light"

RCCOLA said:
She said "I love this beer, tastes just like grapefruit juice" The husband scrunched up his face in disgust and said "I don't like it, I drink Busch Light"

Does it sound like she buys Ranger just to keep her husband from drinking all the beer to anyone else? ;-)

I was on an out-of-town biz trip in a very well known craft brew pub in Denver, two young student-aged hipsters came in and were amazed with the selection of beers. They possibly had smoked something before they got to this pub. One of guys absolutely loved the "No Crap on Tap" bumper sticker, he was laughing and repeated the slogan, "No Crap on Tap" at least a dozen times as he begged the bartender to give him a sticker.

Then the two of them proceeded order a couple of PBR cans (it may have been Coors or some other crappy beer). Afterwards, I thought maybe I should've offered to pay for an upgrade for them to one of the No Crap beers.

Falling off topic again, but does anyone know off hand how they remove the alcohol? Vacuum maybe?

I've always wondered this myself. I think freezing has something to do with it? Or having a very low OG...maybe pasteurizing before it would otherwise reach the FG. Not entirely sure :drunk:

I overheard two people at school today talking about someone's job as a server today. The conversation went something like this:

Guy: Do you guys have good beers on tap where you work?
Girl: Want to see the menu?
Guy: Oh sure if you have it with you I'll look over it
*several moments later*
Guy: Wh...Why is Sam Adams under the Import section?

I overheard two people at school today talking about someone's job as a server today. The conversation went something like this:

Guy: Do you guys have good beers on tap where you work?
Girl: Want to see the menu?
Guy: Oh sure if you have it with you I'll look over it
*several moments later*
Guy: Wh...Why is Sam Adams under the Import section?

I would have been proud of that guy.

We went over to a fellow brewers house for dinner Saturday.

I brought a couple bottles of commercial to share. Things I had never had.

We poured a glass of Lindemans Fraimboise. It was nice. Nothing like any beer I had ever had (and I now see why I've heard some people say "That's not beer"), but I enjoyed it.

I let my 13YO daughter have a sip and while she didn't say anything, she had a look on her face that was priceless. It was obviously one of the best things she's ever tasted. So, not overheard, but still a funny thing about beer.

I was.
I can't say I would have noticed the mistake as a consumer (I usually don't browse by categories), but how in the world the restaurant didn't notice is beyond me.

Most of the time these places do notice. When they put domestic beer on special, they dont want others included. Also, I see a lot of places charging more for imports and they try to cheat people out of money by doing this. I was just at a place friday that listed Boulevard pale ale under imports, and its brewed 2 hours from here!

Saturday at lunch I was told by the server I was having a "heavy" lunch. All I ordered was the house amber ale and some grilled chicken with BBQ sauce. :rolleyes:

We went over to a fellow brewers house for dinner Saturday.

I brought a couple bottles of commercial to share. Things I had never had.

We poured a glass of Lindemans Fraimboise. It was nice. Nothing like any beer I had ever had (and I now see why I've heard some people say "That's not beer"), but I enjoyed it.

I let my 13YO daughter have a sip and while she didn't say anything, she had a look on her face that was priceless. It was obviously one of the best things she's ever tasted. So, not overheard, but still a funny thing about beer.

My daughter feels the same way about the same beer. She wants a good stock of it as a gift for her 21st birthday. That and Angry Orchard cider.

i was on an out-of-town biz trip in a very well known craft brew pub in denver, two young student-aged hipsters came in and were amazed with the selection of beers. They possibly had smoked something before they got to this pub. One of guys absolutely loved the "no crap on tap" bumper sticker, he was laughing and repeated the slogan, "no crap on tap" at least a dozen times as he begged the bartender to give him a sticker.

Then the two of them proceeded order a couple of pbr cans (it was most definitely pbr). Afterwards, i thought maybe i should've offered to pay for an upgrade for them to one of the no crap beers.

ftfy

Most of the time these places do notice. When they put domestic beer on special, they dont want others included. Also, I see a lot of places charging more for imports and they try to cheat people out of money by doing this. I was just at a place friday that listed Boulevard pale ale under imports, and its brewed 2 hours from here!

Some people say places should then replace "imports" with "premium", but considering how much power BMC has, they probably wouldn't like that and would throw a little fit.

Unfortunately I wasn't around for this as I couldn't get off from work but I love it when my husband tells this story:

His team, every year, has a team outing and this year they went to a spring training baseball game over in Tampa. They have Sweetwater IPA on draft for something like $7 for the first cup and $1 refills. One of his coworkers goes, "Whatcha drinkin?"
"Sweetwater IPA," and tells the guy to try it.
His coworker pulls a face, "I only like American beers."
My husband, slightly bewildered, replies, "This is an American beer."
Him: "No, you don't understand. I only like AMERICAN beers. The stuff made in America."
Husband: "This beer is about as American as it gets. It's brewed in Atlanta, Georgia for chrissakes."
He starts grumbling about how my husband knew exactly what he meant by only liking American beers and stalks off with his Bud.

BMC, the only American beer.

Unfortunately I wasn't around for this as I couldn't get off from work but I love it when my husband tells this story:

His team, every year, has a team outing and this year they went to a spring training baseball game over in Tampa. They have Sweetwater IPA on draft for something like $7 for the first cup and $1 refills. One of his coworkers goes, "Whatcha drinkin?"
"Sweetwater IPA," and tells the guy to try it.
His coworker pulls a face, "I only like American beers."
My husband, slightly bewildered, replies, "This is an American beer."
Him: "No, you don't understand. I only like AMERICAN beers. The stuff made in America."
Husband: "This beer is about as American as it gets. It's brewed in Atlanta, Georgia for chrissakes."
He starts grumbling about how my husband knew exactly what he meant by only liking American beers and stalks off with his Bud.

BMC, the only American beer.

Awesome haha. That's a great deal for a good beer!

Back