Funny things you've overheard about beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's funny this would come up. Me and my wife went to a pirate show where you eat and watch a live play in myrtle beach. They had a bar before the show and since the tickets were expensive I figured beer would be too so we ordered a couple of coors lights. They were 5 a piece and I commented that was cheaper than I thought. The bartender informed me all there beers were 5 bucks so I was drinking NB shift and bells two heart the rest of the night.

Okay so, Dixie Stampede, Medieval Times, now a pirate theme where is that one in MB?

No, no, that's relevant to the thread, the bar (a place specializing in booze) didn't know the difference between domestics and crafts, or they're just hooking people up. I wouldn't mention it to anyone though, just keep ordering NBs!

I was more impressed they considered NB domestic. A lot of restaurants have it on their "Import" section :drunk:

You're right though, probably an honest mistake :tank:

I could see how New Belgium could be lumped in with domestics, considering how common it's getting. I see it literally everywhere that sells beer. Places where I eat lunch that only carry like three different beer selections are still usually guaranteed to have New Belgium. That might just be a Colorado thing though.

Back in like '07 or so,when we were in SoCal visiting our daughter & her boyfriend,we went to Midevil Times. Jousting with food eaten with your hands & drinkin from flagons. Must've been a strong ale,as it comes with dinner when you pay to get in & you only get two beers. Good size flagons though. I was pretty buzzed of those two beers y'all. And the announcer sounded like he could be on WWE easy. I told him so later. But he said he liked it there. I guess he didn't wanna travel. But boy,I wish I'd have bought that Barbarian sword. It's the 5' long sword given to the Mongolian Khan as a simble of his power. The one Conan takes off the dead king at the burial mound he falls into. Five feet long & 20lbs of forged stainless steel. I used to be able to weild it with one hand. I like the skull cracker near the haft end too. But I'll always wonder what the beer was that they served....:tank:
Of the show,I will say this. NOW I know what the colliseum must've been like. Seriously.

If u liked that you should look up amtgard. And the "sword" was just a sword like object so dont feel bad for not getting it if you swung it good chance that u would have hurt your self as they break easy.

Crossing breeds of anything uses the natural life processes,so they really aren't the same as GMO's. I used to do that with tropical fish...GMO fish? :drunk::D

I gotta start by apologizing for dredging this up in an "entertainment" thread, and I have to pre-apologize for sounding like a know-it-all, cause I definatly don't have the last word. Having done this in a lab for research purposes, it's a lot different than just using the natural life processes. You target plants with specific mutations, then genotype to confirm which allele's are present at the locus of interest, then cross breed. We created quadruple mutants, and it took quite a bit of work. While artificial selection isn't the same as artificially introducing a synthesized gene into a plant (or other organism... we did this to yeast all the time), but at what point do you cross a line from simple selective breeding to genetic engineering? I think it's long before you're synthesizing gene's from scratch, I'm just not sure where. Either way I have no problem with GMO foods.... it's just an interesting question to ponder. At some point you're messing with things on such an intricate level, with such precision, and with such specific intent that even though you're technically just cross breeding two plants, I think the plant could be considered "GMO". :mug:

Yeah,I guess it is just cross-breeding. But the fish do come out a bit different than either parent. I used to enjoy doing it. I'd raise the young then sell them to a large aquarist shop that was pretty old & well known at the time.

I gotta start by apologizing for dredging this up in an "entertainment" thread, and I have to pre-apologize for sounding like a know-it-all, cause I definatly don't have the last word. Having done this in a lab for research purposes, it's a lot different than just using the natural life processes. You target plants with specific mutations, then genotype to confirm which allele's are present at the locus of interest, then cross breed. We created quadruple mutants, and it took quite a bit of work. While artificial selection isn't the same as artificially introducing a synthesized gene into a plant (or other organism... we did this to yeast all the time), but at what point do you cross a line from simple selective breeding to genetic engineering? I think it's long before you're synthesizing gene's from scratch, I'm just not sure where. Either way I have no problem with GMO foods.... it's just an interesting question to ponder. At some point you're messing with things on such an intricate level, with such precision, and with such specific intent that even though you're technically just cross breeding two plants, I think the plant could be considered "GMO". :mug:

:off: I too apologize for continuing the GMO thing...... I can't resist though. I love and hate genetic modification.

You obviously know waaay more about this than I do (I am an agriculture student- not a geneticist)... but I thought what you described is mutagenesis. Genetic engineering/ modification uses existing genes and you can take animal/ bacterial genes and insert them into other animals/ plants to introduce desired traits.

I am all about exploring genetic modification (for food) within a given biological Family- not a fan of bringing genes from animals/ bacteria into plants that we eat- like Bt corn. Also the companies that create them own the genetics. I am just getting into saving my seeds and it would be almost impossible for me to protect my corn from GMO pollen- then Monsanto owns all of my corn seed and if I plant it they can sue me- they have sued small farmers in the past.

If it is legal to own genetics that will naturally pollinate everything within up to 50 miles for wind pollinated crops like corn/ wheat then it should also be law that the pollen is sterile. I think this is the real controversy behind GMO crops- seed saving is how farmers traditionally modify crops by artificial selection- GMO is threatening that legacy.

not the most scientific of links but: http://blog.seedsavers.org/preventing-gmo-contamination-in-your-open-pollinated-corn/

Re: funny things I've heard about beer.... at my fiance's for Thanksgiving and her aunt said the beer I was drinking looked too dark for her.... it was a Franziskaner Hefe.

GMO food.jpg

Go start a new thread for this crap.. /grumpysanta

Haha, sorry! it's an interesting debate and this thread is full of this crap already :) I mostly love the funny stories in the thread, but enjoy the ocasional side track. I'll shut up now :mug:

Another gem from the brewery this weekend. Guy comes in, bitches about the price of a new growler ($6) leaves. An hour later comes back in bitching because he dropped his growler and it shattered. Wants me to give him a new one for free. Tells me the growlers should be tougher than that. Not my fault the dumba$$ dropped a glass growler on a cement driveway from 6 feet up!

ha. You think dropping a growler is bad? In the book I'm writing,set in 2034,it's illegal to bottle or can beer to take home. In this new world order time,you have to go to a pub to drink at all. And beer's 12 credits per glass!

unionrdr said:
ha. You think dropping a growler is bad? In the book I'm writing,set in 2034,it's illegal to bottle or can beer to take home. In this new world order time,you have to go to a pub to drink at all. And beer's 12 credits per glass!

Why would you write such a horrible thing. At least in Fahrenheit 451 you got to be a pyro!

In this world gone mad, we will not drink the beer - THE BEER WILL DRINK US! :cross:

All hope is gone. I was promised the future would be better.

Ha. Funny stuff sometimes. But in this story FEMA camps & The New World Order are the rule of the day. An Orwellian,dystopian world for sure. The main character,having been a home brewer years ago,is saved from the camps by being able to brew craft beer. How's that for a saving grace?
Besides,it's up to him & his small circle of friends to try & reverse the process used to turn the world upside down overnight. Since some quantum mechanics & magnetic field theory are involved,I E-Mailed NASA Glen Research Center For theoretical possibilities of how this might be done within the context of the story. 1984 goes high tech in the real world context of today vs the near future. Kinda like the beginning of Mad Max,"a few years from now...".

Ha. Funny stuff sometimes. But in this story FEMA camps & The New World Order are the rule of the day. An Orwellian,dystopian world for sure. The main character,having been a home brewer years ago,is saved from the camps by being able to brew craft beer. How's that for a saving grace?
Besides,it's up to him & his small circle of friends to try & reverse the process used to turn the world upside down overnight. Since some quantum mechanics & magnetic field theory are involved,I E-Mailed NASA Glen Research Center For theoretical possibilities of how this might be done within the context of the story. 1984 goes high tech in the real world context of today vs the near future. Kinda like the beginning of Mad Max,"a few years from now...".

Any title ideas?

Brave Brew World? Atlas Chugged? ;)

I'm getting this image of an elderly man saying: "Ya know sonny when I was your age, a beer was just three credits! Boy those where the days."

unionrdr said:

I would never buy this book. I'm not a fan of horror stories. :p
Just for some reference, what is 12 credits in today's dollars?

Any title ideas?

Brave Brew World? Atlas Chugged? ;)
So far,the working title is "Time Lords 2034". In this time line,they're mastering time travel & changing things at the same time.
I would never buy this book. I'm not a fan of horror stories. :p
Just for some reference, what is 12 credits in today's dollars?

Ha,horror story. It's dystopian sci-fi,but some things in the story are frightening. That's the whole point. in my mind/this story,dollars are replaced by credits. So $1 equals 1 credit. No more denominations. Like in Star Trek.

1064 - And it is a story about the big beer conglomerates taking over the world of homebrewing where you are only allowed to make fizzy yellow beers.

1064 - And it is a story about the big beer conglomerates taking over the world of homebrewing where you are only allowed to make fizzy yellow beers.

Fizzy yellow beer is for wussies! Will Greg Koch be an obscure hero/legend who comes to the protagonist's aid?

fizzy-yellow-pint.jpg

I saw this on Beeradvocate :smack:

This was in the taste section of a barleywine I was looking up

"Despite the slight booziness and high alcohol, the beer is smooth as silk and drinks pleasantly smooth."

I didnt think a beer could be boozy and smooth?!

finsfan said:
I saw this on Beeradvocate :smack:

This was in the taste section of a barleywine I was looking up

"Despite the slight booziness and high alcohol, the beer is smooth as silk and drinks pleasantly smooth."

I didnt think a beer could be boozy and smooth?!

Didn't know it could be both smooth and pleasantly smooth in the same sentence either. :smack:

Latest posts

Back