Funny things you've overheard about beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not really a funny story but I thought this was funny

image-983309075.jpg

amfukuda said:
Not really a funny story but I thought this was funny

Hilarious. I'm constantly on twitter searching the keyword: "homebrew". Saw this from that guy the other day.

If I did that to my wife she would kill me.

Right up until we sold our house in Tulsa (rented it out for 5 years first) it still had explosive overflow gunk in the ceiling in the kitchen...I just painted over it because apparently if you leave it up there long enough it become harder than drywall.

Apparently 60% wheat beer with honey and a 2L starter is a little too active for a 7 gal bucket with 5.5 gal of beer. Clogged the 3/4" blow-off tube and deposited splatter on the ceiling and two walls.

Right up until we sold our house in Tulsa (rented it out for 5 years first) it still had explosive overflow gunk in the ceiling in the kitchen...I just painted over it because apparently if you leave it up there long enough it become harder than drywall.

Apparently 60% wheat beer with honey and a 2L starter is a little too active for a 7 gal bucket with 5.5 gal of beer. Clogged the 3/4" blow-off tube and deposited splatter on the ceiling and two walls.

If I laid on the floor like that and pretended to be dead my wife would kill me.

Out for lunch the other day with a couple of guys from work and got on the subject of beer. One of them is talking about a family party over the weekend..."they didn't even have bud light. It was all straight Budweiser. Let me tell you, if you're not used to the real stuff it'll kick your a$$...well it's a lager you know."...:smack: The rest nod in agreement as I just hang my head. I wanted to interrupt but it was just way to good just taking it all in.

When I turned 21 I bought a case of Yuengling straight away. My grandfather drinks almost exclusively Busch Light, so his first words when he saw the case of Yuengling was "Who the hell bought this dark stuff?"
A few years later I let him try some Arrogant Bastard...he didn't seem to care for it haha.

ha ha!...last time my dad stopped over I offered him one of my blonde ales to which he responded "Uh I don't know...that looks a little too dark for me". As a note, he typically drinks PBR on ice...

ha ha!...last time my dad stopped over I offered him one of my blonde ales to which he responded "Uh I don't know...that looks a little too dark for me". As a note, he typically drinks PBR on ice...

LMAO
That is some really hard core dedication right there!!!

Ya the whole PBR thing was kind of a joke amongst family members...and then one day he started drinking it on ice...and I have no explanation :smack:

thanks...still not quite sure where I got the brewing gene from.

Does anyone in your family have hobbies where they make stuff? Probably that... Mine were/are carpenters. I can't even cut a straight line so I brew beer lol.

Does anyone in your family have hobbies where they make stuff? Probably that... Mine were/are carpenters. I can't even cut a straight line so I brew beer lol.

Funny you mention that. I started brewing a few years ago and just recently found out that my great grandfather was the brew master at a local brewery that went defunct once prohibition started. I guess that is where I got the brewing gene from :mug:

most all my uncles are gear & motor heads. my dad pulled an old Briggs & Straton out of the dirt (literally) and built a wood splitter with it. and out of all 6 boys on that side, none have an interest in brewing or anything other than BMC. I couldn't give a flocc about engines, so I brew.

Funny you mention that. I started brewing a few years ago and just recently found out that my great grandfather was the brew master at a local brewery that went defunct once prohibition started. I guess that is where I got the brewing gene from :mug:

funny you mention that. my great grandpa was a runner during prohibition.

most all my uncles are gear & motor heads. my dad pulled an old Briggs & Straton out of the dirt (literally) and built a wood splitter with it. and out of all 6 boys on that side, none have an interest in brewing or anything other than BMC. I couldn't give a flocc about engines, so I brew.

I see that your GGP's genes have influence all his descendants in one way or the other :D

I had one today. I was at a liquor store in Milwaukee looking for some beers to bring back to Chicago, I asked an employee where to find bottles from Black Husky Brewing. He pointed me to a small cooler and explained that since their beers weren't pasteurized they had to be kept cold. I didn't have the heart to tell him that most craft beer isn't pasteurized and somehow we all survive...

Funny you should mention that lol. Once I came out of the closet as a homebrew er (many older family members dealt with moonshine one way or another) I found out my grandfather was also a home brewer for a long while. Hoping one day to find a recipe. Maybe you'll find one one day yourself.

When I turned 21 I bought a case of Yuengling straight away. My grandfather drinks almost exclusively Busch Light, so his first words when he saw the case of Yuengling was "Who the hell bought this dark stuff?"
A few years later I let him try some Arrogant Bastard...he didn't seem to care for it haha.

I brought a bunch of my homebrews over to a family gathering for folks to try. My sister ended up getting a bottle of my Arrogant Bastard clone. Someone asked her later about my beer and she said, "I don't drink my brother's beer... it hurts people."

My grandma made moonshine & grandpa was the runner. I cut teeth on that stuff. She looked at me funny when I was an older teen & asked for the recipe. I told her it was better'n Jd & I'd make my fortune that way. No dice...

Funny you should mention that lol. Once I came out of the closet as a homebrew er (many older family members dealt with moonshine one way or another) I found out my grandfather was also a home brewer for a long while. Hoping one day to find a recipe. Maybe you'll find one one day yourself.

Growing up I already knew my grandfather and great-grandfather were brewers, but no one knows if they ever had their own recipes. They both worked at the same brewery in Isny, Germany (and I did a summer internship there once).

At the liquor store today looking to see if I could find any fresh hop harvest ale. The one employee that is normally pretty good asked me what I was looking for, so I told him. His reply "ya I don't think the breweries are releasing them this year". There was about 5 seconds of silence then I replied...oh....

When I was with my second ex-wife we would rent movies and get beer while my daughters and her son were away every other weekend.
Well one weekend came amd we went and got some movies, then went to go get some beers. She was a Natty light fan, Granted she was about 115# so it didn't take much to get her buzzed.
Got to the store, grabbed my normal BMC 12. Then I see see her looking the cooler over real hard. I asked "what's the problem?" She said "The natty light here is too expensive" To which I replied "just get what ya want and I'll pay for it"
Well she wouldn't hear of that. So she found some Milwuakees worst ice for 20 cents less for a 12 and bought that.
Got home and she cracked one open, took a sip and said" this chit is awful" but still managed to drink it.
Oddly enough I had bought some Sam Adams and had her try it... Her reaction was the same.. "this chit is awful"

image.jpg

Check out this picture!

Went to a bar last night with a few friends and ordered a pitcher of Sam Adams Boston Lager for the table. The bartender was a nice older lady but had no idea what she was doing. She pours the pitcher without tilting it or anything and ended up with 4/5 foam. But that's not the funniest part - she would let it sit there for about a minute or two, then pour in some more causing the foam to overflow. She did this no less than ten times. It took her about 15 minutes of doing this before she finally brought it to us, still with about 3-4 inches of the thickest foam I've ever seen. She had poured the equivilant of at least 3 pitchers to make our one, with all the beer that overflowed during this process. Then she says, "sorry that took so long, but something was wrong with that beer!" Then we watched her do the same thing with a pitcher of Fat Tire for another customer. It really was funny, but we switched to bottles after that.

View attachment 148706

Check out this picture!

Went to a bar last night with a few friends and ordered a pitcher of Sam Adams Boston Lager for the table. The bartender was a nice older lady but had no idea what she was doing. She pours the pitcher without tilting it or anything and ended up with 4/5 foam. But that's not the funniest part - she would let it sit there for about a minute or two, then pour in some more causing the foam to overflow. She did this no less than ten times. It took her about 15 minutes of doing this before she finally brought it to us, still with about 3-4 inches of the thickest foam I've ever seen. She had poured the equivilant of at least 3 pitchers to make our one, with all the beer that overflowed during this process. Then she says, "sorry that took so long, but something was wrong with that beer!" Then we watched her do the same thing with a pitcher of Fat Tire for another customer. It really was funny, but we switched to bottles after that.

the fault of owner/management for failing to train the staff, but not ruling out the possibility that staff is trained but doesn't care/is complete idiot

View attachment 148706

Check out this picture!

I hate when that happens. It seems many people are not completely aware of how to correctly pour a beer (even my father who knows sometimes just dumps it into an upright glass).

But this reminds me of a funny story:
For my brother's wedding they had kegs of Abita (the wedding was in Covington, LA). A few hours in I was filling up another glass and for some reason :)drunk:) I did not tilt the glass. My now sister-in-law's grandfather piped up over my shoulder "don't you know how to pour a beer?! where did you go to college boy!"

I know it's not something overheard, but I had to share this picture my mom sent me of a beer she ordered with dinner.

image-1185034564.jpg

Yes, that is an orange slice served on a glass of pumpkin ale. And, yes, it appears to be rimmed with some sort of pumpkin pie spice or cinnamon. Total fail.

Latest posts

Back