Funny things you've overheard about beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you're going to bring a homebrew for a bunch of "civilians" then it has to be a blonde or a hefe or something easily accessible like that. Anything too advanced and they don't know how to handle it.

My mom has a neighbor who drinks Icehouse... exclusively. He's tried homebrew and never liked it. So I sent him a couple bottles of my brown ale. Simple, tasty, accessable. He said it was the best beer he ever had and asked for more. There's other beers I brew that I think are way better, but that's a good one for the civvies.

I brought a couple cases of mead to a wedding party and told everyone to use a wine glass and split the bottle with someone, because the stuff will sneak up on you! Not long after that I saw all the cases were gone and folks drink from the bottle...I have never seen so many totally drunk people in my life...that includes college (well that I can remember). Folks just don't listen...most home brew is so smooth that once you start you gotta beer careful...the corn and rice helps control most folks.

i'm no kegging expert, but isn't NO2 used just to push the beer through the lines?

could He be used instead?

someone needs to experiment!

3%. What's the point...since I started brewing my session beer is around 6% now.

so, I just dumped a 5-gallon batch of a 3% session ale that was going into bottles this weekend, because what's the point?

so glad you brought this to our attention

Some of us have to drive occasionally.

but now we don't have to worry, because 6 is the new 3%! the nice people with the badges and guns will understand

About 13 or 14 yrs ago, in Orlando, I went to a restaurant for lunch and sat at the bar. I asked the bartender for the drink menu. The beers were categorized by either "Domestic" or "Imported". Under the imports, I spotted Killian's Irish Red which was priced considerably more than the other domestics. I asked the bartender why was it under imports and she looked at me like I was some kind of idiot. She says "because it's an import". I kindly said "well, it's brewed in Golden, CO". She looks at me for a few seconds and says "well, it's an import" and walked away.

Thought this was the appropriate thread for this gem. Saw an ad on the outside of a liquor store last night and checked beer buddy when I got home. Thought lime-a-Rita was bad enough. At least it contains alcohol I guess

image-3887748997.jpg

Been a while since I was there, so I could have the exact terms wrong. Olive Garden lists their beers under "bottle" and "premium"(I could be wrong about the bottle one). Listed under premium? Regular old BMC. Not even sure there were any premium BMC beers listed.

russrob81 said:
Thought lime-a-Rita was bad enough. At least it contains alcohol I guess

I think someone over at Anheuser Busch is practicing necromancy. That can design looks like it belongs in the 40's!

Halbrust said:
Am I the only one who wants to try this?

Please do, and let us know! I'm not going to try it.
I did try the "Brewers 12", there was on that was pretty good, (the one from La) on that was ok, and the bourbon ages vanilla on, 3 will sit in my fridge taking up space until one of my friends drink it. I wouldn't drink it if you paid me!

dkwolf said:
"There is no way for me to answer this without sounding like a smartass....."

I would have said " wabbits!" So I guess you are right about sounding like a smartass.

So where in Iowa do you live...I know most brewers in state?
Sorry, missed this reply earlier. I'm in NW Iowa - Sac City (work in Storm Lake). There's a new brewery up in Okoboji that just recently opened, I haven't made it up there to try their stuff yet. Otherwise, the closest brewpub is in Ames or Omaha.

I don't expect it to be good, but I want to try it.

Ashamed to say I have tried this. My sister and cousin bought a 'case' of each the lime and strawberry -aritas ones the other night and were drinking them. Tried the strawberry, it was... a malt beverage. Nothing special. They enjoyed them most pouring them half lime half red.

I would much rather have a limeaid/tequilarita as they should be made or better yet with real lime juice. Though I really prefer my tequila with tonic water and a slice of lime. But that is another website altogether.

Halbrust said:
I don't expect it to be good, but I want to try it.

I tried it last night. I bought my wife a tall boy and had a little swig. It tasted like strawberry kool-aid not bad but not really good either however my wife like it so there's always that.

dkwolf said:
Sorry, missed this reply earlier. I'm in NW Iowa - Sac City (work in Storm Lake). There's a new brewery up in Okoboji that just recently opened, I haven't made it up there to try their stuff yet. Otherwise, the closest brewpub is in Ames or Omaha.

Ahh yes NW Iowa is pretty barren (a lot better than SW Iowa though), however you are close to Templeton! Sioux City doesn't have anything?

Not sure what was said before and after, but is there any context that makes it appropriate to say- "That's not even beer, its like water" while holding a Michelob Ultra?

I tried it last night. I bought my wife a tall boy and had a little swig. It tasted like strawberry kool-aid not bad but not really good either however my wife like it so there's always that.

I was wondering what they did with all that left over 4Loco....

Not sure what was said before and after, but is there any context that makes it appropriate to say- "That's not even beer, its like water" while holding a Michelob Ultra?

Maybe they were talking to someone drinking Odouls.

Not about beer but a cousin of...heard around the campfire while discussing our poison of choice:
"Fruit brandy is the $h1t, that stuff will mess you up, it is 200% alcohol" no one cared to disagree haha

Blueman89 said:

The guy who runs quizzo had one last night and said, "I recommend this for anyone who likes seltzer with a slight beer flavor."

Vellum said:
Not about beer but a cousin of...heard around the campfire while discussing our poison of choice:
"Fruit brandy is the $h1t, that stuff will mess you up, it is 200% alcohol" no one cared to disagree haha

That dude was 360d wrong on that one!

About 13 or 14 yrs ago, in Orlando, I went to a restaurant for lunch and sat at the bar. I asked the bartender for the drink menu. The beers were categorized by either "Domestic" or "Imported". Under the imports, I spotted Killian's Irish Red which was priced considerably more than the other domestics. I asked the bartender why was it under imports and she looked at me like I was some kind of idiot. She says "because it's an import". I kindly said "well, it's brewed in Golden, CO". She looks at me for a few seconds and says "well, it's an import" and walked away.

I had a similar experience but it was "domestic" and "premium" beers...

26940d1307167502-thank-god-premium-beers-imag0396.jpg

That's one poor selection.

Yep. The food's awesome so I'm happy they at least have Fat Tire and Red Hook (usually means ESB if that's all they say in the menu) so I have something to drink. Although, lately they've started having a seasonal or two that they don't put on the menu, so they're learning. :D

It just cracked me up that Corona was listed as "premium".

See, I would have ordered an ale and then returned it after drinking half and saying... "This beer doesn't have any wheat in it. It's all Barley." Then order another... "This beer doesn't have any wheat in it either." After the third, I'd say... "Where are your all-wheat beers again?"

I went in to my LHBS a few months ago and Stan the main sales guy was shaking his head. A couple guys came in and wanted to buy equipment and supplies to make Bud Light. Stan told them... "It would be cheaper to buy it." They persisted and he finally said "I don't even know how to brew something as bad as Bud Light." I joked he should sell them a single light LME can and a pound of rice flakes, have them make a 5 gallon batch and then add an extra gallon of water after it finished fermenting.

Missed out on a solid opportunity for a sale/conversion.

At the beer store a couple of kids were talking about mixing and matching a good six pack. After going around all the craft brew section, they discussed how they never heard of any of them. Then to the European section, same discussion. When they hit the Mexico section, they got excited. Corona, Tacate, and XX's, high fives each other and went to buy it.

Are you kidding me? The Craft brew section has about 75 breweries in alphabetical order! They "never heard" of any?

Haha. Awesome. My boss insists you can make booze with more than 100% alcohol. When asked how that is possible, he just says that's what distilling does.

Heard at the Ruddy Duck "Europeans don't drink beer like Americans. They sip and enjoy every nuance; and only have one beer a day".

454k30 said:
Heard at the Ruddy Duck "Europeans don't drink beer like Americans. They sip and enjoy every nuance; and only have one beer a day".

I don't know about the rest of Europe, but when I visited Greece it was quite common to have only one glass of beer, refilled several times. I guess they don't like doing dishes or something.... :drunk:

I have gotten the question "do you need a still for that?"

I think a lot of folks arent entirely sure what distillation or a still is. I dont mind an earnest question from a person who just doesnt know.

Back