Funny things you've overheard about beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree to a point input is the only way to improve brewing. Yours mine and others. Judges have to go through classes and multiple testing and tastings. Now granted everyone's taste buds are different but still valid to get as much information as possible on your beer. If someone tasting my beer if there is something about it they don't like I'm interested if they have something to help improve not just a "This tastes funny" comment.

I get what you're saying, but I'm brewing to my tastes, just like any other home brewer should. I could brew a classic style (seems to be what the judges want) to perfection, but if I'm not satisfied with it, what's the point?

I get what you're saying, but I'm brewing to my tastes, just like any other home brewer should. I could brew a classic style (seems to be what the judges want) to perfection, but if I'm not satisfied with it, what's the point?

I brew a couple that I brew to my tastes and I agree with you. But I host a lot of brew days trying to get more people into brewing and I try to keep at least 2-3 that will bridge the gap with new brewers yet is still true to style and still palatable to seasoned brewers.

It is a good point you make about brewing to style, like you don't want to brew a particular style and that's fine. But the real value of having the beer judged in a competition has little to do with your style. Category 23 (sucks to judge) is specialty beer, where pretty much anything goes. http://www.bjcp.org/2008styles/style23.php The value of the competition is what they perceive in the aroma, flavor, mouthfeel, appearance, overall impression of the beer.

And I never once said the only way you can become a better brewer is to enter a competition. I said, the best way to get unbiased feedback (unbiased because they don't know you or know your beer, all of the judging is blind, the judges only know the category the beer was entered) about your beer is from a competition, what you do with the feedback is up to you.

My wife and I recently went on a Redhook brewery tour. The tour guide was pretty good and knowledgeable. They have an interesting history, especially the name Redhook... So she was explaining the brewing process and mentioned the German beer purity law created in the 1500s, Reinheitsgebot, and went on to mention only 4 ingredients are allowed. water, barley, hops, and yeast.

YEAST? WTF, Louis Pasteur did not discover yeast until the 1800s. Correct answer: Water, barley, Hops

My inner beer nerd was screaming...

My wife told me to keep quiet and enjoy the free beer, which I reluctantly did.

lemy said:
My wife and I recently went on a Redhook brewery tour. The tour guide was pretty good and knowledgeable. They have an interesting history, especially the name Redhook... So she was explaining the brewing process and mentioned the German beer purity law created in the 1500s, Reinheitsgebot, and went on to mention only 4 ingredients are allowed. water, barley, hops, and yeast.

YEAST? WTF, Louis Pasteur did not discover yeast until the 1800s. Correct answer: Water, barley, Hops

My inner beer nerd was screaming...

My wife told me to keep quiet and enjoy the free beer, which I reluctantly did.

The reinheitsgebot was expanded to include yeast when it was discovered, so I'd say she was correct.

lemy said:
She said in 1500...

Referring to the original. Was their an official date yeast was added to it? I couldn't find anything before 1993, and it was a different law that just referenced the reinheitsgebot.

Referring to the original. Was their an official date yeast was added to it? I couldn't find anything before 1993, and it was a different law that just referenced the reinheitsgebot.

I certainly am no expert. I read the wikipedia and you are correct, there is no mention of adding yeast as an ingredient, but it looks as though the reinheitsgebot was trumped by several other beer laws that did include yeast.

For a Rogue tour guide to say yeast was a Reinheitsgebot ingredient in the 1500s is the funniest thing I have heard about beer in a long time.

It is a good point you make about brewing to style, like you don't want to brew a particular style and that's fine. But the real value of having the beer judged in a competition has little to do with your style. Category 23 (sucks to judge) is specialty beer, where pretty much anything goes. http://www.bjcp.org/2008styles/style23.php The value of the competition is what they perceive in the aroma, flavor, mouthfeel, appearance, overall impression of the beer.

And I never once said the only way you can become a better brewer is to enter a competition. I said, the best way to get unbiased feedback (unbiased because they don't know you or know your beer, all of the judging is blind, the judges only know the category the beer was entered) about your beer is from a competition, what you do with the feedback is up to you.
we are not going to see eye to eye. I trust my tastes, not a strangers tastes. just because someone is certified in something (be it beer judging, welding, or what have you), it does not mean they are end all final word. I have nothing more to say on the subject. if you do, you can email me at [email protected]/net. labor days.

More funny stuff: a guy just told me he was making a barley wine...at 7.5%...maybe it's just me, but that's borderline session beer :drunk:

:off:

The primary guy of the LHBS that openly admits to being strictly a wine brewer. His advice is usually just about spot on so I really wonder about his only brewing wine line. :drunk:

Not surprising, I work in a meat shop and love to cook yet I've never made a prime rib roast, I also hate chicken breasts and don't make marinades but I can always tell the customer exactly how to go about with any of those things because It's things I've learnt on the job.

More funny stuff: a guy just told me he was making a barley wine...at 7.5%...maybe it's just me, but that's borderline session beer :drunk:

Session Barleywine? Although it does remeing me of the session IPA thread I have seen on here somehwere :D

gah! can't find it now, but have a FB buddy who posted from breweries on his vacation and one of them listed a "session barleywine" at 8%

old-timer at the VFW the other night said he homebrewed in the UK in the 70s and his beers were all 16-18% ABV

edit: found it! Burley Oak Brewing Company in Berlin, MD

gah! can't find it now, but have a FB buddy who posted from breweries on his vacation and one of them listed a "session barleywine" at 8%

old-timer at the VFW the other night said he homebrewed in the UK in the 70s and his beers were all 16-18% ABV

edit: found it! Burley Oak Brewing Company in Berlin, MD

I like the beer name "waffle stomper"

I've been told that people will sometimes just add some vodka or everclear to bump up the ABV. Probably what he did, I'm guessing :fro:

Yeast was added to Reinheitsgebot in 1906.

http://germanbeerinstitute.com/beginners.html

"By 1906, it became the official law in all of the realm of the German Kaiser, with the addition of yeast as a basic ingredient and malted wheat as an allowable component in top-fermented beers, such as Alt, Kölsch and Weissbier (Hefeweizen)."

http://www.holstenzero.com/about/the-reinheitsgebot/

" In 1906 yeast was added to the list of ingredients in this law, which had been adopted by all German states."

Yeast was added to Reinheitsgebot in 1906.

http://germanbeerinstitute.com/beginners.html

"By 1906, it became the official law in all of the realm of the German Kaiser, with the addition of yeast as a basic ingredient and malted wheat as an allowable component in top-fermented beers, such as Alt, Kölsch and Weissbier (Hefeweizen)."

http://www.holstenzero.com/about/the-reinheitsgebot/

" In 1906 yeast was added to the list of ingredients in this law, which had been adopted by all German states."

Something else I have wondered is how Weissbier was allowed in Bavaria before they added wheat for ales. This is something I have never been able to clear up.

Something else I have wondered is how Weissbier was allowed in Bavaria before they added wheat for ales. This is something I have never been able to clear up.

I thought it was because Bavaria basically ignored the reinheitsgebot :D

I thought it was because Bavaria basically ignored the reinheitsgebot :D

Bavaria is where the Reinheitsgebot is from though...
(Originally from Bavaria, wasn't German until unification in 1871)

As long as we're still off topic, I have another question about the Reinheitsgebot. If yeast wasn't discovered until the 1900s, what were Germans fermenting with for the previous 400 years? They must have used natural airborne yeast, ie. spontaneous fermentation. But that's how Belgian lambic/sour beer is made, that and airborne bacteria, which the Germans would not have been able to prevent. The Germans weren't making sours, were they?

Keith66 said:
As long as we're still off topic, I have another question about the Reinheitsgebot. If yeast wasn't discovered until the 1900s, what were Germans fermenting with for the previous 400 years? They must have used natural airborne yeast, ie. spontaneous fermentation. But that's how Belgian lambic/sour beer is made, that and airborne bacteria, which the Germans would not have been able to prevent. The Germans weren't making sours, were they?

Uh...Berliner Weisse?

Also, an old practice was to add some fermenting beer into the fresh wort. That's how they kept their beers half consistent and put selective pressure on the yeast to conform to certain standards. They unknowingly domesticated yeast, bred certain traits into it, and THEN figured out what it was. I'm sure there was some wild fermentation going on, too, though.

Uh...Berliner Weisse?

Also, an old practice was to add some fermenting beer into the fresh wort. That's how they kept their beers half consistent and put selective pressure on the yeast to conform to certain standards. They unknowingly domesticated yeast, bred certain traits into it, and THEN figured out what it was. I'm sure there was some wild fermentation going on, too, though.

I know at least the small southern German brewery I worked at they had large vats for fermenting, but they were in a cool room. The yeast came from the previous batch (though they would re-buy yeast every month in which case they would pitch the fresh yeast). Another method was to cool the beer, pull off the top half and fill back up with fresh wort.

(Not to be nitpicky, but again: the Reinheitsgebot is Bavarian, so the rest of Germany did not have to abide by it until 1871)

The one thing I have noticed though is that all wheat and rye containing beers in Germany are ales. Since ale yeast is more likely to be wild caught, is it possible that that is somehow that they made it around the Reinheitsgebot?

I feel like we need to start a new thread for this...

EDIT: Found this which reminded me of something. Weissbier was allowed in Bavaria because some of the lords really liked it. Therefore there were exceptions made for certain brewers and Weissbier was known as a beer for nobles for a long time. Note: one of the reasons for the Reinheitsgebot was to reduce competition for wheat and rye that was needed for breadmaking (makes you realize just how much beer they were drinking!).

EDIT AGAIN: The exceptions is one theory I have heard, the other being that once the bakers had enough rye and wheat, the remainder would be allowed to be used to make beer. But that beer would then be a specialty and therefore for the nobility.

Keith66 said:

They were using yeast, they just didn't know it. They assumed it was something with the vessels or ingredients or anything else.

So the shop wants you out making money and you want out making money. Unless you are passionate about your beer (we are talking a combination of History Majors, Teachers who realized they could make more waiting tables and college kids who earn today to pay their rent tomorrow), why would this be priority?

That being said, I knew my beer, my wine and my liquor. Why? Because $9-14 hour, even in Tulsa, OK, was not nearly good enough to pay for college in cash and maintain the lifestyle I was accustomed to. Drinkers tip and their overall bill is higher...you do the math.

I think you answered THE question at the end of the first paragraph above. If you're a waitress and not passionate about beer you'd learn the menu for a couple reasons, the most important reason... it makes YOU more money. The second, because it's you're job to educate the customer on what the restaurant is selling. The craft beers will be at least $2 - $3 more per bottle/glass, I have paid $11 for a Chimay Blue in NYC, if you have a 4 top and each person has two drinks, that's $8 - $12 on the final bill. For a 15% tip that's an extra $1.20 - $1.80 just for that table, knowing my friends and those who drink craft beer, we tend to also be better tippers so you might get better than 15%. If you don't know the beer list and I have to go to the bar myself, I personally will tip less, tips are earned not required!
The restaurant would be better off spending the training time, because I'm 100% sure their markup on craft beer would more than cover the "one-time" training expense. The more craft beer they're moving the higher their profits. If the waiter/waitresses are happy they'll stay longer and the restaurant has less turnover, equals less training time.

Back