Funny things you've overheard about beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Love how they just randomly shorten brewery names. Yeah, I'll have some yuenglin and a dogfish. I wonder if they thought they named the beers after parts of a fish? Like dogfish tail, or dogfish fin.

Me: Which Dogfish Head beer do you have?
Bartender: I'm not sure. It's really dark though.
Me: Ok....which Great Lakes beer do you have?
Bartender: I don't know, do you want me to find out?
Me: No that's ok. Can you ask which Dogfish Head beer it is though?
Bartender: Sure. (She calls the upstairs bar and returns) It's just the Dogfish Head. Would you like one?
Me: No thanks. I'll just keep looking at the selection.

At this point I decide to walk upstairs to check out the taps for myself. I find that it is indeed the Dogfish Head 60 Min IPA (clearly stated on the tap handle). I look over a few more and see the Ithaca Country Pumpkin Ale. I then proceed to chat with the upstairs bartender.

Me: Can I try the Ithaca Pumpkin Ale?
Bartender: DO you just want a sample or a glass?
Me: No, I'll take a pint
Bartender: It's actually a pilsner
To myself (WTF?? no...ok...whatever)

So I go back downstairs with my pumpkin ALE. I know the bartender downstairs will question how I have a beer without her serving it but I play it cool. ****, bartender notices.

Bartender: What did you get?
Me: Ithaca Pumpkin ALE
Bartender: You should have just told me, I would have gotten it for you.
(Me thinking to myself, I would have if you knew which freakin beers each brewery had on tap).
(Check the pic of the menu at this point and you will see it clearly just says Ithaca)

Sorry for the long post :drunk: :drunk: :drunk:

Barrel Shipped Pirate Ale?? It looks like a teenager working at chuckycheese is in charge.

so the beer 'wench' (they do serve pirate's drinks) would take your order then walk upstairs to the main bar to get your drinks? Even though they had a bar downstairs? What an odd set up.
Even more odd is the menu. I can see if the bar had only the basic three on tap that they would not know much, but with that many selections ON TAP you would think it would be more specific.

also...

did you get her number?

gcdowd said:
My first impression was, barrel shipped beer? WTF is that? Do they mean kegged beer? I would find out later that no, they did not.

So, what did they mean by barrel shipped beer? Inquiring minds want to know...

...with that many selections ON TAP you would think it would be more specific.

The management should be held accountable for "knowing their beer", and for training their bartenders and wait staff. When this doesn't happen, the bartenders and waitstaff should take it upon themselves. Either way, a restaurant with that kind of beer selection should "know their beer". If they don't, I have no problem pointing it out and going around them to get my own.

The management should be held accountable for "knowing their beer", and for training their bartenders and wait staff. When this doesn't happen, the bartenders and waitstaff should take it upon themselves. Either way, a restaurant with that kind of beer selection should "know their beer". If they don't, I have no problem pointing it out and going around them to get my own.

Agreed. I know not everyone drinks the same stuff I do, so I don't expect a full flavor profile description from the waiter, but "oh yeah, we have Dogfish something. It's dark like Guinness, I think" isn't going to cut it. Please know what's on tap or at least have an accurate list handy.

A new restaurant opened here in town a month or two ago. 4+ months pre-opening, I was talking with the owner, and she said they were planning to have a big craft beer selection. Told her I would be eagerly awaiting their beer list to see what they had. Her response was "Let me know what you want, we'll get it". I just smiled, because I knew she had no idea what she just said. (The a$$hole in me WANTED to say, "Okay, how about Dogfish Head 60 Minute IPA and Empyrean Vanilla Porter to start" -- both breweries that do not distribute in Iowa and would be impossible for them to sell) At the time, just told her, "I'll wait and see what you get, and go from there"

Fast forward to the first part of this month. They've been open 3-4 weeks, and I get my first opportunity to go check them out. The beer list? Bud, Bud Light, a couple Shock Top variants, Angry Orchard, and Shiner Bock. Not exactly what I'd call a "big" selection, and calling it "craft" is definitely a stretch. Haven't had the chance yet to have a good discussion with the owner again about her beer list - but I also don't know that it's worth it; knowing the majority of the clientele in town, I don't know if she could move enough stock of a big beer list to make it worth it.

You'd be surprised though, I've found some incredible beer bars in places that I would have never expected. I was in Des Moines about 2 weeks ago, and it was nothing but BMC on every menu until I found a crazy beer haven in some dark corner of the downtown region with over 200 beers on the menu! Surprised the heck out of me, but there was also about 50 people there on a tuesday night. Craft beer lovers will come out of the woodwork if you have the selection to entice them :)

Yeah, God forbid the F'n waiter knows the name of the beer they serve! Stupid ass people. Too many people want to prance around, and get paid for it.

Odds are that the owners/managers read in some restaurant trade magazine how microbrews are "trendy lately" and they decided to stock some so they told whoever does their ordering to give them some of the popular ones, doesn't matter which, and they just took the biggest print from the label and put it on the menu.

You'd be surprised though, I've found some incredible beer bars in places that I would have never expected. I was in Des Moines about 2 weeks ago, and it was nothing but BMC on every menu until I found a crazy beer haven in some dark corner of the downtown region with over 200 beers on the menu! Surprised the heck out of me, but there was also about 50 people there on a tuesday night. Craft beer lovers will come out of the woodwork if you have the selection to entice them :)
I'd bet good money that was El Bait Shop...never been there myself, but the beer menu there is legendary.

However, there is a big difference between the Des Moines Metro area with a population just shy of 600,000, and Sac City -- there's 10,000 people in the WHOLE COUNTY.

There's a little store on the island here. Kinda place you get some gas for your boat and some bait on the way to the launch. I stopped in and saw a line of growlers behind the cashier and asked about them. He said they have beer on tap and handed me a list of some really good beers! This is about 5 minutes from my house. Gonna be taking advantage of this!

edit:
Here's the current list. Not rare stuff and a lot more local microbrews than stuff from around the nation, but still a nice little selection.

Mac & Jacks African Amber
Manny's Pale Ale
Pike Double IPA
Pike Monks Uncle Belgian Trippel
Iron Horse Irish Death
Skookum Olde Tom Belgian IPA
Skookum Choc/Vanilla Porter
Widmer Hefeweizen
Scuttlebutt Blonde
Elysian Men's Room Red
Leavenworth Doppelbock
Angry Orchard Hard Apple Cider

dkwolf said:
I'd bet good money that was El Bait Shop...never been there myself, but the beer menu there is legendary.

However, there is a big difference between the Des Moines Metro area with a population just shy of 600,000, and Sac City -- there's 10,000 people in the WHOLE COUNTY.

El bait shop is great! I like to whole scene...tons of great beers (if it's not busy ask to see the keg room), the biker, gen X, professional business people crowd and the bar food. Although I would put the Iowa City beer scene up against Des Moines any day...like at the tailgate I went to at Kinnick today...we had a keg of La Chouffe Triple IPA and a bunch of other bottles from Johns.

Ugh this thread is getting snooty. Yes this bar doesn't have that selection and the wait staff is dumb. They spit in your food. BMC is crap. I used to hear actually funny things and not just snobbery. That's not funny.

How about the time my barely-English-speaking neighbors wandered over to my brew session and asked in a very timid manner if I was making cocaine or meth?

Ugh this thread is getting snooty. Yes this bar doesn't have that selection and the wait staff is dumb. They spit in your food. BMC is crap. I used to hear actually funny things and not just snobbery. That's not funny.

How about the time my barely-English-speaking neighbors wandered over to my brew session and asked in a very timid manner if I was making cocaine or meth?
Reminds me of when this kid at work asked me what the penalty was if I got caught homebrewing. He was gobsmacked to learn it was legal. :)

"I would NEVER be involved in ANYTHING involving something as horrible as DRUGS! I'm making nerve gas."

There's a little store on the island here. Kinda place you get some gas for your boat and some bait on the way to the launch. I stopped in and saw a line of growlers behind the cashier and asked about them. He said they have beer on tap and handed me a list of some really good beers! This is about 5 minutes from my house. Gonna be taking advantage of this!

edit:
Here's the current list. Not rare stuff and a lot more local microbrews than stuff from around the nation, but still a nice little selection.

Mac & Jacks African Amber
Manny's Pale Ale
Pike Double IPA
Pike Monks Uncle Belgian Trippel
Iron Horse Irish Death
Skookum Olde Tom Belgian IPA
Skookum Choc/Vanilla Porter
Widmer Hefeweizen
Scuttlebutt Blonde
Elysian Men's Room Red
Leavenworth Doppelbock
Angry Orchard Hard Apple Cider

That is a nice list. Irish death is legendary in my area as "that dark beer, the really strong one." Thankfully it is also delicious and served at my favorite bar in town.

I went to the lhbs today (broke my hydrometer testing tube) and saw a buddy from beer club there. We start talking shop and the conversation turns to this little brewery in Oregon we both visited. I ask if he tried the Belgians they make. He says "oh yeah! I just want to know what Belgian gave them the socks to put in that beer!" It was pretty accurate but the look on his face remembering them was priceless.

Now that i have my pump and CFC set up, and I discovered the miracle that is fermcap, I brew in the garage with the door up instead of pulling it all out in the driveway. A few days ago, when I was brewing, my buddy's wife's uncle and his wife were going for a walk. I get the all too common "you gotcha a still set up in there?" I said no, I'm doing the legal stuff, making beer. Then we talked about the kinds of beer I've been making recently. They apparently like good beer, so I was surprised. They also said a local liquor store was selling moonshine kits. I'll have to check that out. I didn't know it was legal yet. Maybe with the proper licensing it is.

dkwolf said:
A new restaurant opened here in town a month or two ago. 4+ months pre-opening, I was talking with the owner, and she said they were planning to have a big craft beer selection. Told her I would be eagerly awaiting their beer list to see what they had. Her response was "Let me know what you want, we'll get it". I just smiled, because I knew she had no idea what she just said. (The a$$hole in me WANTED to say, "Okay, how about Dogfish Head 60 Minute IPA and Empyrean Vanilla Porter to start" -- both breweries that do not distribute in Iowa and would be impossible for them to sell) At the time, just told her, "I'll wait and see what you get, and go from there"

Fast forward to the first part of this month. They've been open 3-4 weeks, and I get my first opportunity to go check them out. The beer list? Bud, Bud Light, a couple Shock Top variants, Angry Orchard, and Shiner Bock. Not exactly what I'd call a "big" selection, and calling it "craft" is definitely a stretch. Haven't had the chance yet to have a good discussion with the owner again about her beer list - but I also don't know that it's worth it; knowing the majority of the clientele in town, I don't know if she could move enough stock of a big beer list to make it worth it.

Obviously she doesn't know beer, and was asking for suggestions. Since you know something about it, you could let her know what some of the ones you like and think might sell AND are available in your area. You'd be doing your town a favor and introducing them to new beers.

Obviously she doesn't know beer, and was asking for suggestions. Since you know something about it, you could let her know what some of the ones you like and think might sell AND are available in your area. You'd be doing your town a favor and introducing them to new beers.
When the opportunity to have that conversation comes up, I plan on it. That opportunity hasn't come up yet.

The UPS guy we have occasionally sees me brewing when he delivers. Never fails, he always asks if I'm "moonshining again?"

That is a nice list. Irish death is legendary in my area as "that dark beer, the really strong one." Thankfully it is also delicious and served at my favorite bar in town.

I went to the lhbs today (broke my hydrometer testing tube) and saw a buddy from beer club there. We start talking shop and the conversation turns to this little brewery in Oregon we both visited. I ask if he tried the Belgians they make. He says "oh yeah! I just want to know what Belgian gave them the socks to put in that beer!" It was pretty accurate but the look on his face remembering them was priceless.

Irish death is legendary in my house as "that crap people keep bringing me." I have had several people bring it to me talking about how interesting it is.

I have graciously thanked them for being so thoughtful and promptly dumped it when I get home. IMO one of the worst beers in WA, outside the swill produced on Vashon.

Irish death is legendary in my house as "that crap people keep bringing me." I have had several people bring it to me talking about how interesting it is.

I have graciously thanked them for being so thoughtful and promptly dumped it when I get home. IMO one of the worst beers in WA, outside the swill produced on Vashon.

I have only had it on tap. I have heard the bottled stuff is not as good. I will take one of those before several other local beers though. Thankfully there are lots of different beers :mug:

Captain Pell's Fairfax Crabhouse
Premium Beer ( 12 oz. bottles, No beer on tap )................................................$5
Stella Artois, Blue Moon, Corona, Corona Light, Heineken, Red Stripe,
Sam Adams, IPA, Mike's Hard Lemonade
so I ask the waitress, "what is the IPA?"
waitress says, "it's IPA"
I ask which brand and she says, "I'll go ask," comes back and says, "it's India Pale Ale"
I tell her that's the style, not the brand and decide to just go to the bar and see what it is

it's a Devil's Backbone 8 Point IPA.

hell, yeah, I'll have one

"Ipa's are made with more yeast" :smack:

This comment came from someone who worked at a brewpub

I have to jump in and hafl-heartedly defend waitstaff. I spent 9 years in the restaurant and bar biz paying for college and later because I loved the human interaction.

Except for places that feature their beer, you are likely to get the equivalent of what was on the menu when hired Why? Because in 2006 when I last worked in a bar, base rate was $2.13/hour. Training rate was minimum wage ($5.13/hour?) so the establishment wanted you on the floor because it cost them less than half per hour. You wanted on the floor because unless you sucked at your job you earned $9-14 on a sad lunch shift.

So the shop wants you out making money and you want out making money. Unless you are passionate about your beer (we are talking a combination of History Majors, Teachers who realized they could make more waiting tables and college kids who earn today to pay their rent tomorrow), why would this be priority?

That being said, I knew my beer, my wine and my liquor. Why? Because $9-14 hour, even in Tulsa, OK, was not nearly good enough to pay for college in cash and maintain the lifestyle I was accustomed to. Drinkers tip and their overall bill is higher...you do the math.

From a LHBS employee: "I hate the way beer smells. It just STINKS up the kitchen!" She then went on a 3-4 minute spiel about how she doesn't enjoy certain aspects of the brew day.

The customers left without buying anything.

It's pretty clear to me why this shop is not doing so well. :drunk:

I have to jump in and hafl-heartedly defend waitstaff. I spent 9 years in the restaurant and bar biz paying for college and later because I loved the human interaction.

Except for places that feature their beer, you are likely to get the equivalent of what was on the menu when hired Why? Because in 2006 when I last worked in a bar, base rate was $2.13/hour. Training rate was minimum wage ($5.13/hour?) so the establishment wanted you on the floor because it cost them less than half per hour. You wanted on the floor because unless you sucked at your job you earned $9-14 on a sad lunch shift.

So the shop wants you out making money and you want out making money. Unless you are passionate about your beer (we are talking a combination of History Majors, Teachers who realized they could make more waiting tables and college kids who earn today to pay their rent tomorrow), why would this be priority?

That being said, I knew my beer, my wine and my liquor. Why? Because $9-14 hour, even in Tulsa, OK, was not nearly good enough to pay for college in cash and maintain the lifestyle I was accustomed to. Drinkers tip and their overall bill is higher...you do the math.

:off:

And that is why you are no longer a server. You figured there was more money having the knowledge of what was in the bar.

My wife had a boss years ago that was really into high $$$ Gins and his rule was to offer a taste if of his Gin free of charge before having the bar pour the drink. His boss quickly learned to trust him with all the top shelf stuff.

Back on topic
The primary guy of the LHBS that openly admits to being strictly a wine brewer. His advice is usually just about spot on so I really wonder about his only brewing wine line. :drunk:

I had a guest over for dinner with his family at the weekend. Now I don't really know these people but our girls are friends and my girlfriend knows them quite well.

The dad of the family turns up with a carrier bag full of Fosters.

We get talking about beers and I mentioned that I'm not really a lager fan generally and I brew my own, would he like to try one. Here's how the conversation went:

Him: I don't really like bitters, but, sure, I'll try what you've made
Me: Ok, well I only have a saison on the go at the minute anyhow, it's a style of Belgian beer that used to be brewed in farmhouses, so it's not a bitter.
Him: if its not a lager it's a bitter.......
Me: ummm what about stout,s like Guinness for example?
Him: bitter.
Me: or a mild?
Me: oh. ( as diplomatically as possible) I'm not sure that's quite right. I'm pretty sure bitter is just one style of many. ( by this time I've poured his saison and hand into him)
Him: no I'm pretty sure you have lagers, bitters and cider. ( tastes it) ah, see this isn't a bitter......it's fizzy, you've made a lager without realising it.
Me: have some falafel.

He went on to drink my saisons all night and when they were leaving I handed him the fosters back, explaining again that lager isn't my thing " funny you don't like it when you can make it! Thanks again!"

Went to bed very confused.

I had a guest over for dinner with his family at the weekend. Now I don't really know these people but our girls are friends and my girlfriend knows them quite well.

The dad of the family turns up with a carrier bag full of Fosters.

We get talking about beers and I mentioned that I'm not really a lager fan generally and I brew my own, would he like to try one. Here's how the conversation went:

Him: I don't really like bitters, but, sure, I'll try what you've made
Me: Ok, well I only have a saison on the go at the minute anyhow, it's a style of Belgian beer that used to be brewed in farmhouses, so it's not a bitter.
Him: if its not a lager it's a bitter.......
Me: ummm what about stout,s like Guinness for example?
Me: or a mild?
Me: oh. ( as diplomatically as possible) I'm not sure that's quite right. I'm pretty sure bitter is just one style of many. ( by this time I've poured his saison and hand into him)
Him: no I'm pretty sure you have lagers, bitters and cider. ( tastes it) ah, see this isn't a bitter......it's fizzy, you've made a lager without realising it.
Me: have some falafel.

He went on to drink my saisons all night and when they were leaving I handed him the fosters back, explaining again that lager isn't my thing " funny you don't like it when you can make it! Thanks again!"

Went to bed very confused.

Someone went to bed confused that night. If it's any consolation, I seriously doubt it was you.

I like what I like as well and know I hate Shocktop and Bluemoon. Just my opinion but they taste terrible.

I am enjoying this thread. Funny stuff, but shocktop and bluemoon is a lot better than half the homebrew I have judged at several homebrew competitions. Even Budweiser and Coors we make fun of, but they are hard to reproduce. The very accomplished brewers make light lagers and pilsners, because they are such a challenge to make.

I do not like the Monopoly and politics of big beer, but...

Someone went to bed confused that night. If it's any consolation, I seriously doubt it was you.

Nope, he went to bed confused. If someones mind is made up there is no changing that even with facts.

Been in a similar conversation I even went to the car and brought out my copy of Noonan's "Brewing Lager Beers" and was told: "Any hack can write a book that doesn't mean he's right!" He has been drinking lagers for 30+ years he knows the difference between Lagers and Ales....This over a Spaten(sp) Oktoberfest which it couldn't have been because it's only September and Lagers don't keep well over time like an Ale:confused:

\"AmandaK\" said:
From a LHBS employee: \"I hate the way beer smells. It just STINKS up the kitchen!\" She then went on a 3-4 minute spiel about how she doesn\'t enjoy certain aspects of the brew day.

The customers left without buying anything.

It\'s pretty clear to me why this shop is not doing so well. :drunk:

In STL?

image-763823212.jpg
My buddy once said this was an ale...

I haven't had any nosey neighbors yet, but im pretty sure the old lady that walked by while I was rotating my drying hops in the garage thought i was growing weed or something.

It was a pretty potent dank smell coming out of my garage.

Back