Funny things you've overheard about beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I also like IPA's. I just think it's a little sad that people think craftbeer = IPA. That's such a narrow, limited view of the world.

Maybe I'm getting old, or maybe my palate has developed to enjoy more subtlety, but it's pretty boring when all the craft beers are cranked up to 11 on some dimension or another.

AMEN!!! I actually started brewing because it's hard to find anything truly malty and under 30 IBUs anymore. IPAs, hops and IBUs have become trendy and fashionable such that the market is saturated with them. I actually see IBUs used in labeling and advertising now! I've never liked bitter beer so this especially tweaks my feathers. I can't even enjoy a mainstream pale ale anymore because they're being brewed hoppier than before to keep up with the hop fad. I understand that hops, IPAs and the like have their place in tradition, and brewing in general, as well as the current market, and thanks to them for getting people interested in craft brews, but the hop craze has gone a little overboard in the past few years in my opinion. Supply and demand I guess. Now that I'm done with my rant, can someone please hand me my bock? (Get it?... Maibock?... groan...)

"You can't make beer at home."
- A friend of mine, on a hot summer night in Tel Aviv 3 years ago, while sitting on a street bench drinking beers, after I told him I plan to start brewing my own beer.

Maybe I've had too many beers tonight(trying to float an old keg) but I can't make sense of this post.

On topic: I once asked a waitress what beers were available OTHER THAN Bud, Miller, or Coors. "Well, we have Bud, Miller, Coors"

Me: How about your craft beers?

Her: Oh, we have Michelob Ultra.

Sorry apparently I got interrupted and hit submit too soon.

Had a server tell me that a craft beer I ordered looked better than what people normally order. I bit my tongue because she thought they only had the typical BMC's and the restaurant never changed the beer selection.

I was talking to someone at work today and I said I had no beer. Then I said whoops, I do have beer just not carbonated beer and he said Ah Then you don't have beer you have ALE...lol Awesome

I was talking to someone at work today and I said I had no beer. Then I said whoops, I do have beer just not carbonated beer and he said Ah Then you don't have beer you have ALE...lol Awesome

many years ago I was telling a coworker my weekend plans of bottling after he asked. new guy asked what kind of beer it was. I told him it was a stout. he instantly goes, "Nananananaa-No! Stout is not a beer, it's an ay-al." while using his pointer finger to punctuate. the rest of the short lived conversation did not go in his favor and he never talked beer with me again.

An old classic from Alabama elected representative Alvin Holmes on a proposed bill to allow higher abv beers to be sold in the state:

"Yo, What's wrong with the beer we got ? I mean the beer we got drank pretty good don't It ? I ain't never heard nobody complain about the beer we have. It drank pretty good. Budweiser...What's the name of some of them other beers? Miller, Coors, it drink pretty good don't it?"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZoTJzh13n8

You get the government you elect..........................................................
The country is doomed.
Sorry:off:

The "+1" wasn't just for my vote, but we the people :) anyway, that discussion could turn into the biggest derailment since "well actually" haha.
Me at work:
"Can I help you pick out a beer sir?"
Customer: "Do you have any beer that tastes like water? I don't like the flavored stuff."
Me: "Well we have.....water?"

many years ago I was telling a coworker my weekend plans of bottling after he asked. new guy asked what kind of beer it was. I told him it was a stout. he instantly goes, "Nananananaa-No! Stout is not a beer, it's an ay-al." while using his pointer finger to punctuate. the rest of the short lived conversation did not go in his favor and he never talked beer with me again.

Lol its always worse in front of other ppl

My friend just moved back home from Austin. So we're drinkin a couple beers and the conversation goes
Him. Iv been converted to dark beers man
Me. That's great which ones
Him. I love ipas now
Me. Those are usually pretty pale
Him. No everything that's not miller lite is a dark beer

My friend just moved back home from Austin. So we're drinkin a couple beers and the conversation goes
Him. Iv been converted to dark beers man
Me. That's great which ones
Him. I love ipas now
Me. Those are usually pretty pale
Him. No everything that's not miller lite is a dark beer

Hand him a Hoegaarden: Soooo, is this a dark beer?

My last 2 brews were a 7.2 srm 7% abv ipa and a 8 srm 4.5% apa. The wife called the ipa the dark beer because its stronger and hoppier

I was drinking a hefe with one of my buddies we were talking about how it tastes. Since he knows I brew, he asks if the hefe has hops in it or not. He thought that beers were either made with wheat or hops but never both. I set him straight...

I take my wife to a Greek restaurant with a good beer selection, but very limited knowledge about it. I ask what they have on tap, she runs away comes back and says "you know, the usual." "Ok", "what's the rotator?" She runs away again, comes back and says "its the seasonal". Slap forehead, I'll take that one. It ends up being a Stone Double Bastard! Very happy!

"Ever drink Hef? Yeah I only drink it if its on tap, cuz I'm pretty sure it's like the highest alcohol content. But only when it's on tap."

Whenever I go out for a beer or two I always have this thread in my mind hoping that somebody will say something incredibly stupid so I can come back here and share it. Finally had one last night.

I went to one of the local sports bars with my girlfriend for their "Taco Tuesday" (good tacos for cheap) and asked the obviously new waitress what micro-brews they had on tap. She gets a really confused look on her face and starts naming them... Coors Light, Budweiser, Bud Light, Miller Lite. My girlfriend cuts her off before she can name any more and says "No, he meant craft beers". "Oh!" the waitress said "in that case we have Blue Moon, Hefeweizen, Rampant IPA..." I cut her off right there and said please bring me a Rampant.

I'm not so sure that's really all that "stupid". Pretty much the same thing happened to me, and I only realized while in bed that night that the waitress clearly thought I had said "draught" when I really said "craft".

Seems that not only did your wife pick up on it, but when she pointed it out the waitress obviously knew what craft beer actually means.

I was at a party and this guy was trying to hit on a girl I know and said here have one of my good beers trying to Hand her a bud lite. She just said that's ok I only drink real beer. I have never been so proud

Uninformed people talking about beer. Slightly informed people talking about beer... Equally annoying. It's beer. I wish people could just enjoy it and drink what they like. Being a homebrewer for 8 years, knowledgeable, interested, etc... I almost hate to talk beer with people lately.

There's the guy who means well throwing around buzz words like "sessionable", "balanced", etc. He doesn't actually know a damn thing about the beer. He just knows we should all like it based on whatever nonsense review he read. And he's lecturing people in the bar about hops, etc.

I want to correct this guy but I never will. Beer is like the band I used to like but now is popular and on the radio. I will continue to brew, drink, and appreciate beer. I guess I'm just more inclined to do it in private, trying to avoid all the nonsense.

New guy at work invites me fishing. I turn him down since he seems to really enjoy catching fish and I am horrible luck. He kind of gets his feelings hurt and says he is starting to think no one at work likes him (partly true). So I take pity on the kid and ask him his favorite beer. "IPA all day long, I love those dark beers." So I of course drill him with the whole how can a pale ale be dark thing. He actually said it was darker than most beer and he obviously knows craft beer because he is from Portland, Or. Sadly this is not the worst story about this guy.

Beer is like the band I used to like but now is popular and on the radio.
Awesome, we done got ourselves a real live hipster!

New guy at work invites me fishing. I turn him down since he seems to really enjoy catching fish and I am horrible luck.

Maybe it's just me, but that actually seems like a totally nonsensical reason to turn him down... couldn't you just say that you really just don't want to spend any leisure time with him because you simply don't particularly like the guy?

Just last night at a stag: Guy is wearing a Rogue ball cap, so I ask what his favorite Rogue beer is. He says "Hmmm that's a tough one man...a lot of good ones...I'd have to say Ruination though."

New bar in town, boasting there craft offerings and bar cocktails (they do pretty good drinks according to friends)
Not so much hate cause i actually like the owners/staff but just thought it was funny

Just taped Evin Twin Imperial Biscotti Break, after not having it for a while i visited yesterday and got a 10oz pour,
within 30secs after taking my first sip the server goes.
How do you like it, its sooooo dark?!?
I said its really good, nice and sweet to balance the abv and a huge chocolate heresy syrup bomb.
...interesting look on her face...you dont think its to sweet?!?
Everyone was astonished that i could sit there and drink a 10oz 11.5%abv beer at 530 right after work.

Best part was that the owner came out, tasted an oz from the tap...light bulbs turned on his head and within 3minutes he came walking out from the back with a slice of peach pie and Peanut butter biscotti break whipped cream for my gf....Heavenlyyy

Went to see a blues band last night with the GF.
(I cant hear jack **** over a band playing) I ask the waitress what is on tap.

her -"Coors, bud light,garble, miller, garble, garble"
me - "I will take the third one."

I have no clue what is was but it had a nice amber color with a balance of hop. She only knew the brewery names of the beers not if it was and IPA or anything. That and I could not hear her if she did know.

kaconga said:
New guy at work invites me fishing. I turn him down since he seems to really enjoy catching fish and I am horrible luck. He kind of gets his feelings hurt and says he is starting to think no one at work likes him (partly true). So I take pity on the kid and ask him his favorite beer. "IPA all day long, I love those dark beers." So I of course drill him with the whole how can a pale ale be dark thing. He actually said it was darker than most beer and he obviously knows craft beer because he is from Portland, Or. Sadly this is not the worst story about this guy.

Pale ale IS darker than most "BMC" beers. Compared to Coors, Miller, Bud, and certainly any light beer, it's dark. He's right. Why not be nice and go fishing?

Go fishing, if you honestly cause a bad day fishing (which is more time, weather,bait, and presentation.) he will not ask any more.:D

I have gone fishing with a few people from work and each time there were literally no bites. If he was a bit more laid back about it then I might. But he really seems all about catching and less about the getting away aspect.

I also cannot abide people who hold their opinion as fact. The idea that an IPA is a dark beer is like saying its night out when its cloudy. And to say he knows what he is talking about because he lived in Portland is ludicrous. Do I know all about potatoes because I live in Idaho?

MarkInBuffalo said:
Just last night at a stag: Guy is wearing a Rogue ball cap, so I ask what his favorite Rogue beer is. He says "Hmmm that's a tough one man...a lot of good ones...I'd have to say Ruination though."

Well my favorite Rogue beer is Arrogant Bastard! Lol!

morticus said:
Well my favorite Rogue beer is Arrogant Bastard! Lol!

jhoneycutt said:
And my favorite rogue is two hearted ale :ban:

What's that really dark beer Rogue makes? Heady Topper, that's it! That's my favorite Rogue beer. ;)

Haha. I'm glad that was as amusing to some of you as it was to me. Around here labbatts and bud ball caps are given away for free in most cases. I saw the rogue hat and thought the guy was on to something...Beer posers all around us...

What is a bad day if fishing
Better then a good day at work.

I have gone fishing with a few people from work and each time there were literally no bites. If he was a bit more laid back about it then I might. But he really seems all about catching and less about the getting away aspect.

I also cannot abide people who hold their opinion as fact. The idea that an IPA is a dark beer is like saying its night out when its cloudy. And to say he knows what he is talking about because he lived in Portland is ludicrous. Do I know all about potatoes because I live in Idaho?
Well, don't you? :D

Back