Funny things you've overheard about beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
not feeling up to berry punching today. I'll be handing out IOUs.

Would you be interested in off-shore-ing your berry punching- our research shows that emerging economies could provide the punching resource at a significant saving to you and your organisation.

Would you be interested in off-shore-ing your berry punching- our research shows that emerging economies could provide the punching resource at a significant saving to you and your organisation.

berry pawnching is a learned skill set. buy local. but if you're looking for someone to pawnch berries for you, go to London and look up a Mr. Bullet Tooth Tony. I recommend him for all your berry pawnching needs.:mug:

edit: and you can call him Susan if you like.

Haha

Reminds me of an old Navy rite of passage, tell some bootcamp to go down to the engineering spaces and ask for a "BT punch"

Where a Boiler Tech (the BT) will sock him in the teeth
haha, I learned of a funny hazing/induction that happened on German U-boats during WWII.
The new sailor would unknowingly use the head and (whether #1 or #2) be unaware that while at depth the toilet system had no pumps to evacuate the waste into the sea. So inevitably, the new-guy would flush and the back pressure would cause an explosion of s**t straight back into his face.
Apparently, it's called a "U-boat baptism".

haha, I learned of a funny hazing/induction that happened on German U-boats during WWII.
The new sailor would unknowingly use the head and (whether #1 or #2) be unaware that while at depth the toilet system had no pumps to evacuate the waste into the sea. So inevitably, the new-guy would flush and the back pressure would cause an explosion of s**t straight back into his face.

I'd rather take a pawnch in the berries.

On any sub at any depth there would be a back pressure if the toilet were connected direct to the sea, unless the toilet was above water line. Plus that would be a very poor design to have a toilet valve as a possible flood source.

That said, you are mostly correct on the hazing. The way the system worked was the toilet dumped to a tank. To empty the tank, it was pressurized to greater than sea pressure, a valve was opened and the contents were blown overboard. Before blowing sanitary tanks one was supposed to hang tags on all the toilets explaining not to operate the valve. If the tags where not hung and someone flushed the pressure of the pressurized tank would indeed empty the toilet contents upward.

Subs now use pumps as "blowing" the tanks is noisy. Pumps can be made much more quiet which is the name of the game in submarines.

My wife last week while drinking an ~11% BA coffee stout: "I really like this one. I really taste the hops." We had a 2 min discussion/debate ensue, and I just dropped it for the sake of the marriage...

I once worked with a guy on a vessel in the Arctic. He said a guy in his hometown got really sick from drinking homebrew and the local doctor said homebrew, if you drink too much will kill you.

Subs now use pumps as "blowing" the tanks is noisy. Pumps can be made much more quiet which is the name of the game in submarines.

Is that really a concern for them? I was under the impression that with the advent of nuclear subs, "quiet" kind of went out the window. I took a tour of a Canadian sub once (diesel electric), and they explained to me that while diesel electric is older, less efficient tech, it nevertheless has the advantage of being able to operate truly silently. They can kill the engine and run on battery power. (Actually, while submerged, they HAVE to run on battery power, because the diesel engines can only run while the sub is surfaced, as it needs air intake).

Nuclear subs, on the other hand, cannot simply shut down the reactor, thus there is a constant, unavoidable noise being perpetually generated. Under those circumstances, I'm not sure they'd be too concerned about the noise involved in blowing a few pounds of sh*t into the ocean.

Is that really a concern for them? I was under the impression that with the advent of nuclear subs, "quiet" kind of went out the window. I took a tour of a Canadian sub once (diesel electric), and they explained to me that while diesel electric is older, less efficient tech, it nevertheless has the advantage of being able to operate truly silently. They can kill the engine and run on battery power. (Actually, while submerged, they HAVE to run on battery power, because the diesel engines can only run while the sub is surfaced, as it needs air intake).

Nuclear subs, on the other hand, cannot simply shut down the reactor, thus there is a constant, unavoidable noise being perpetually generated. Under those circumstances, I'm not sure they'd be too concerned about the noise involved in blowing a few pounds of sh*t into the ocean.

the reactor itself is silent (nuclear fission does not make noise, but in a sub, it is not the reactor which drives the boat, it's the steam generated by the heat from the reactor), but you're right, there is constant, unavoidable noise which is reduced as much as possible within the hull and they try to decouple it from the hull.

vibrating hull = noise transmission through the water = Sonar Technician (my job in the Navy) can hear it.

something which transverses the hull is going to make a ****load of noise (pun intended) and would not be done often or at operating depth. I wasn't on subs, but I'm guessing this would be done at the same time ballast tanks are purged.

*better derail than economics or statistics

wabbit-season.jpg

It's actually quite sad that the stout365 fever took over the one in question, because he used to make the best and freshest ipas ever.
But I'm sure by now he's perfected the best stout ever.

hate to further the thread derail, but the short answer is yes, it is really a concern. Billions of dollars are spent making nuke subs quite. A natural circulation nuke, with all non-essential auxiliaries shut down is a very quite machine. They still can't be as quiet as a diesel/electric on the battery but they are close.

In fact that is one strategy to find a sub. In an area with plenty of biological noise, you look for the quiet spot..the spot where the sub is shielding the biological noise.

we chased a German 206 d/e through the Baltic in the early 90s. Our ship (FFG), a Spru-Can (DD) and a Tico (CG)

they banged away with their hull-mounts, while our helo dropped active sonobuoys on it.

not sure how well they tracked it, but it was pretty easy on our end. bonus points for no counter-detection

we chased a German 206 d/e through the Baltic in the early 90s. Our ship (FFG), a Spru-Can (DD) and a Tico (CG)

they banged away with their hull-mounts, while our helo dropped active sonobuoys on it.

not sure how well they tracked it, but it was pretty easy on our end. bonus points for no counter-detection

I have zero clue what you're talking about, but it sounds fascinating!

:mug:

I have zero clue what you're talking about, but it sounds fascinating!

:mug:

had a great time on that cruise. stopped and had liberty in every country in the Baltic; Norway, Sweden, Finland, Denmark, Germany, Poland, Lithuania, Latvia, Estonia and Russia

just after the collapse of the Soviet Union. in the former communist bloc countries we had to wear our uniforms and never had to buy our own drinks

I would have almost reenlisted if could go on that cruise again. that is, if the Navy hadn't told me they wouldn't let me reenlist, even if I wanted to

I once worked with a guy on a vessel in the Arctic. He said a guy in his hometown got really sick from drinking homebrew and the local doctor said homebrew, if you drink too much will kill you.

Well, I am going downstairs and pour myself a glass of delicious death! That may be my next beer - Delicious Death Porter!

Speak for your self, I have a clue. I have seen "The Hunt for Red October" atleast 3 times!

our base (Fleet Anti-Submarine Warfare Training Center Pacific - FLEASWTRACENPAC) shut down the day it was released so every Sonar Tech could go see it

Subs? Not funny. Not about beer.

Not sure if anyone will find this funny, but they call it a sub (?)

heineken-sub.jpg

Back