Funny things you've overheard about beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Best not to argue with doctors...

1389399107287.jpg

this morning one of the night welders:
nw: I suppose you like Budweiser.
me: no. I like beer with more flavor.
nw: like Bud Light?
me: what the flocc? no!
nw: oh! like Heineken. that beer has flavor.
me: yeah, if you like drinking skunks. more like Myrcenary, Narwhal, Westmalle...
nw: Myrcenary... it's OK, I guess. Heineken has more flavor though.
me: :smack::smack::smack::smack::smack::smack::smack:
and then my brain fell out, another guy kicked it across the shop, and then I saw exactly what he was saying.

Well,at least he got the Belgian part right. That's something. It's 18F here with wind chill warnings. The wind's howling around the house & trees like a lost soul atm. So much for geting the car towed to a shop for repairs today.
I'm gettin too old for this shiz...:drunk:

Did you have any idea you were going to derail the thread for pages, with this simple remark? I just got back to the thread, and was amazed. :p

We had a storage building moved onto our property about a year ago. The guys just about had it leveled in and they started talking about wishing they had a cold beer. I mentioned that I make beer and next thing you know, about 6 guys are trying samples of my beers.

I don't think they liked them much. One of them asked me how long it had been since I drank a Budweiser. I told him it had been years. He suggested I go buy a six-pack. Perhaps I had forgotten what good beer is supposed to taste like........

We had a storage building moved onto our property about a year ago. The guys just about had it leveled in and they started talking about wishing they had a cold beer. I mentioned that I make beer and next thing you know, about 6 guys are trying samples of my beers.

I don't think they liked them much. One of them asked me how long it had been since I drank a Budweiser. I told him it had been years. He suggested I go buy a six-pack. Perhaps I had forgotten what good beer is supposed to taste like........

That is some of the rudest **** I have ever heard!

Sent from my XT1060 using Home Brew mobile app

That is some of the rudest **** I have ever heard!

Sent from my XT1060 using Home Brew mobile app

I like telling guys like that, "Sorry. I didn't know you were a p*$$y." being emasculated in front of their buddies is more than priceless.

Chadwick said:

What a ****** bag. You shouldve said. Perhaps you should step your ass on down to the store an get your ****ty budweiser your self. Took your beer back and then throw hot scalding sparge water in his face for the insult....

Ok maybe not the last part but the pther stuff wouldve been cool.

yup... real beer. when it comes to water, i prefer the tap, at least it is regulated by people with taste buds.

Oh my. I understand that for people who have been brainwashed their whole lives with the super powered marketing engine that is Budweiser, it's difficult to accept beer as anything other than what the TV tells them.

I didn't get upset at all. I felt a little sad for them. Its similar to other taste-wise things that I see where I live frequently. For instance, I learned to cook Italian food from Sicilian friends of my fathers. They showed me the difference between "real Italian" ingredients and the cheap crap most groceries carry. When I do Italian, I go out of the way to order real ingredients and the difference is night and day. However, had some friends over on spaghetti night one time and they could not tolerate the rich flavor. To them, spaghetti sauce is like what you buy in a jar at the grocery. And that is what they are accustomed too and what they like. It's just like that, except with beer.

I've never been upset that someone doesn't like my beer. I can talk beer with someone and tell you in 1 minute if they will like it or hate it. Regardless, I never deny anyone a taste if they ask for it.

True, but isn't that the one attribute they have no control over once it leaves their factory? ...I mean brewery?

No man coors is frost brewed and then put in refrigerated trucks and why not so the mountains are always blue

Beer is an acquired taste, whether you're talking BMC or craft. So it shouldn't surprise us when life-long BMC drinkers don't immediately like our better tasting stuff.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Home Brew mobile app

Beer is an acquired taste, whether you're talking BMC or craft. So it shouldn't surprise us when life-long BMC drinkers don't immediately like our better tasting stuff.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Home Brew mobile app

I completely disagree with this statement. I grew up with Bud, Busch, Falstaff, ect. when I was a teenager I had my first taste of Guinness. then found other things that weren't BMC. I didn't acquire a taste for these other beers, I liked them. there are many, many others with very similar stories on the subject. one could also say that mushrooms are an acquired taste. in all my years trying different varieties, I still don't like them. it's all personal taste, nothing more. the only thing I think can be acquired on the subject is an arrogant attitude. and I feel that's true for both sides.

I love the Bud commercials about knowing the brewers. I have never met and talked with a bud Brewer but I've met and talked with brewers at Ommegang, Flying Fish, Riverhorse, Carton, Kane, Heavy Seas, etc. And I love how they showed all the breweries, so even if you met a brewer at the Bud in St. Louis, you may be getting it from Newark.

I get the idea behind the advertising, I just find it funny.

Dave37 said:
What a ****** bag. You shouldve said. Perhaps you should step your ass on down to the store an get your ****ty budweiser your self. Took your beer back and then throw hot scalding sparge water in his face for the insult.... Ok maybe not the last part but the pther stuff wouldve been cool.

This just cracked me up.

I completely disagree with this statement. I grew up with Bud, Busch, Falstaff, ect. when I was a teenager I had my first taste of Guinness. then found other things that weren't BMC. I didn't acquire a taste for these other beers, I liked them. there are many, many others with very similar stories on the subject. one could also say that mushrooms are an acquired taste. in all my years trying different varieties, I still don't like them. it's all personal taste, nothing more. the only thing I think can be acquired on the subject is an arrogant attitude. and I feel that's true for both sides.
I think the original statement is true for more people than it's not. I know I was one that did NOT like beer when I first started drinking - I was a long island iced tea guy. It took a year or two before I actually enjoyed a bottle of beer, and through that year I sampled various beers every chance I got to try and find one I liked. When I finally started LIKING beer, it was either Coors Light or Boulevard.

I remember when I was a toddler,pop would be cuttin wood & set his bottle of beer on a stump. I'd rip it & drink it all,or most of it. Beer had more beer flavor back then though. Unlike today's watery offerings. I wish I could pinpoint what made it more flavorfull in regard to the beer itself,not just hops. Or maybe it was a combo of the grains & hops used that gave it more beer flavor. I hope y'all understand my meaning,but after 54 years or so,it's tuff to remember every detail. Beer's like Stroh's (original recipe),Blatz,Black Label,Falstaff,POC,etc. They all had more flavor back then vs now. But Carling Black Label stands out as a flavorfull one I always liked.

Unless it is global warming. That must not be questioned regardless of the evidence

I think they call it global climate change now. The average temperature is still higher, but some places are colder than they were. The weather is all screwed up. The ice caps are melting rapidly. It's real.

Sent from my Huawei Y301A2 using Home Brew mobile app

dkwolf said:
I think the original statement is true for more people than it's not. I know I was one that did NOT like beer when I first started drinking - I was a long island iced tea guy. It took a year or two before I actually enjoyed a bottle of beer, and through that year I sampled various beers every chance I got to try and find one I liked. When I finally started LIKING beer, it was either Coors Light or Boulevard.

I kind of agree with you myself in the regards that for me the beer that required me to acquire a taste for it was BMC. I would always prefer to drink liquor instead of the bmc and corona/heineken i saw at parties until i tried my first micro brew. Berkshire brewing steel rail extra pale. This beer had great flavor and i immediately enjoyed it. After trying it and other varieties i knew that it wasnt beer in general. It was those specific beers that i didnt immediately enjoy. So id also have to agree to with Billy Klubb.

Now i also crush BMC with no problem at all. This is mostly due to my alcoholism. not so much my acquiring the taste for it.

I would say it's definitely an acquired taste for most people. I hated beer as a youth. Sips from my dad's cans were horrible. I didn't start to like it until I was almost 21. I drank swill as an alcohol delivery system. The first "good" beer I had was Newcastle and even that took a while to get used to. Around 94-95 I lived in Fort Collins, CO and that was my awakening. Sierra Nevada, Fat Tire (it was good then I swear lol) 90 shilling, etc... That's when I learned to brew too.

I would call it an acquired taste and I would say, like food, the palate evolves to enjoy things you didn't think you would.

Having worked for many years as a bartender I have heard more stupid stuff said about beer than I have time to type. But, here's my favorite: I worked in a place in LA that serves only California craft beer — Bear Republic, Stone (they might have outgrown "craft," but still), Lagunitias, Ballast Point, and a couple emerging local breweries.

Guy walks in, asks for Bud Light.

"Nope, only California craft beer," says I.

"Coors Light?"

"Noooo..."

"Well, hell, don't you have any real beer at all?"

::this is where I imagine leaping over the bar to slap him::

After that day, though, anytime anyone asked for a BMC, I'd say, "Nope, we only serve real beer here," the I'd pour them the lager, and cringe when they dropped a lime in it.

Reminds me off the time I served the 3 lawncare guys some beers after a hot day in my yard. The owner liked the bud light lime I gave him the last time. After drinking a couple different beers I served everyone,he asked if I had anymore of that one with the lime it in? his brother immediatly gave him a brain duster.

I remember when I was a toddler,pop would be cuttin wood & set his bottle of beer on a stump. I'd rip it & drink it all,or most of it. Beer had more beer flavor back then though. Unlike today's watery offerings. I wish I could pinpoint what made it more flavorfull in regard to the beer itself,not just hops. Or maybe it was a combo of the grains & hops used that gave it more beer flavor. I hope y'all understand my meaning,but after 54 years or so,it's tuff to remember every detail. Beer's like Stroh's (original recipe),Blatz,Black Label,Falstaff,POC,etc. They all had more flavor back then vs now. But Carling Black Label stands out as a flavorfull one I always liked.

According to Randy Mosher, all those older beers were diluted over the years with adjuncts like corn to make it cheaper, arriving at today's predominant BMC cheap pilsner. I've read that the popularity of PBR over the last decade was partially due to a brand manager who resurrected the original recipe. The quality of PBR was, in fact, improved. I don't know if the hipsters know this or not...

According to Randy Mosher, all those older beers were diluted over the years with adjuncts like corn to make it cheaper, arriving at today's predominant BMC cheap pilsner. I've read that the popularity of PBR over the last decade was partially due to a brand manager who resurrected the original recipe. The quality of PBR was, in fact, improved. I don't know if the hipsters know this or not...

no, they don't. PBR is one of the crappy beers that I do like.

The only thing hipsters know it's that it once was good and now isn't the market share product. And they know crazy moustaches

It's funny you mention PBR. I remembered it being pretty bad. I bought one on a whim a few months ago and was surprised that it was so much better than I remembered. Not great, but better than I remembered.

It's funny you mention PBR. I remembered it being pretty bad. I bought one on a whim a few months ago and was surprised that it was so much better than I remembered. Not great, but better than I remembered.

I recently learned that PBR won its blue ribbon at the World's Fair Columbian Exposition in Chicago in 1893. I kinda like it better just knowing that.

Now i also crush BMC with no problem at all. This is mostly due to my alcoholism. not so much my acquiring the taste for it.

Exactly my case, except it's only coors banquet. Maybe a yuengling if my buddy's dad brings any down from the northern states. All the typical BMC gives me a headache.

Back