Funny taste

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewNoob2010

Reaction score
My last two batches have had a funny chemical taste to them.

Any ideas on what might be causing this?

I used Irish moss for the first time in these batches.

Primary fermenter is a plastic bucket, secondary a 5-gal glass carboy.

using one-step leave-in sanitizer.
thanks for your help.

might that be the sanitizer taste?

I kinda honestly dont trust "leave in" stuff and rinse everything anyway if for nothing else than to make a cleaner living - sanitizer in beer are just few more chemicals Im sure my body does not need :D

One step is an oxidizing cleanser like oxi-clean, not really a sanitizer (although some will debate that I'm sure) I would worry that using that as a no-rinse sanitizer would oxidize your beer something fierce. I would consider saving the one-step to use as a cleanser, then rinse it off and use star-san or iodophor as a sanitizer.

I used what I believe is the Canadian equivalent, aseptox, for a batch or two. I know that when I cleaned my wine making equipment, it oxidized the wine it touched like crazy. I guess that kind of makes sense considering its an oxidizer. I still use it as a cleaner, but I now use starsan to sanitize beer stuff, and metabisuphite for wine stuff.

One step is an oxidizing cleanser like oxi-clean, not really a sanitizer (although some will debate that I'm sure) I would worry that using that as a no-rinse sanitizer would oxidize your beer something fierce. I would consider saving the one-step to use as a cleanser, then rinse it off and use star-san or iodophor as a sanitizer.

I used what I believe is the Canadian equivalent, aseptox, for a batch or two. I know that when I cleaned my wine making equipment, it oxidized the wine it touched like crazy. I guess that kind of makes sense considering its an oxidizer. I still use it as a cleaner, but I now use starsan to sanitize beer stuff, and metabisuphite for wine stuff.

Yes, it is not tehcnichally a sanatizer but it most likely does sanatize. It is marketed as a cleanser since the FDA (or whatever agency regulates) has an expensive set of regulations to get it certified as a sanatizer.

I am not saying it should or shouldn't be used as a sanatizer, just commenting on the labeling policies. Hell, I use bleach for my sanatizing.

What temperature do you ferment your beer at? That may or may not have something to do with it, but hte more info we have, the easier it is to figure it out!

Fermenting at room temp ~77 degrees F
Not ideal, I know, but don't have fridge space to keep it any cooler, attempted a swamp cooler, but wasn't maintaining a consistent temp.

The reason I am so interested is my first 3 extract batches had a similar problem. All with kits, some with the crappy yeast in the kits, and some with good yeast. They all fermented at about 74-78º and ended up with a very hard to describe aftertaste. It was almost bitter, but not like hops bitter.

I have fermented as low as I can since then and havn't had as bad of a problem. It still happens every once in a while. Plus I have never brewed the same two batches so it is hard to pinpoint a cause/fix

Actually, it just dawned on me something I changed around the time the problems stopped. I started making appropriate starters for the recipes that called for liquid yeast. I have read that this can reduce esters, or other bad byproducts that cause off flavors by reducing the stress on the yeast.

Maybe worth a shot, even if it doesn't fix your issue, it is still good practice.

Your problem can be directly attributed to fermentation temperature. Ferment at a maximum of 68 degrees F. for most ales, and your problem will disappear.

Thanks for the input, will see if I can score a spare fridge cheaply.

Look up the term swamp cooler. I did that for about 6 months before I said "Screw this" because some days I'm gone for 12 hours and I can't monitor the temps. I ended up buy a temp controller and a freezer.

What does oxidized beer taste like? I used aseptox for sanitizing on my first batch, and it came out tasting pretty bad. I've got my second in primary right now, and I've been using aseptox this time as well... hoping I haven't repeated the last batch's failure (though if that was the problem, it would be good to know the culprit...)

I would suggest that the suggestions about temperature control are spot on. In the case of the oxidizing sanitizers, I should clarify that I would not be all that concerned about the addition of oxygen until fermentation is underway. For example, sanitizing the thief when taking hydrometer samples, the siphon, the bottling bucket etc.

The consensus seems to be that oxidized beer is more of a 'cardboard' taste, and in the case of minor oxidation can take a little time to show itself. That being said, in the case of aseptox, I have seen the oxygen contribution of a relatively small amount turn a sample of red wine blue instantly. I don't fully understand the reaction but I think that stuff throws more than just a little oxygen. Thats why I switched to starsan and never looked back. There is the added benefit that starsan residue is actually a yeast nutrient.

:off:Now that i think of it, I wonder how much aseptox you would need to add to oxygenate wort prior to pitching yeast. Just think, no more carboy shaking :ban:

edit: I see via the search function that aerating wort with peroxide was discussed and dismissed back in 2008...oh well nice try i guess

is it possible that you get that metallic taste off some oxidizing metals from your brew equipment? Like, if you have aluminum pot, you need to create layer of oxidized metal before you start your brews, also, if you stir it with something hard enough, you can scratch it off leaving some exposed metals - same goes for rest of equipment.

mebbe thats the reason for funny tastes.

Your problem can be directly attributed to fermentation temperature. Ferment at a maximum of 68 degrees F. for most ales, and your problem will disappear.

I agree that this is more than likely the problem here. A high fermentation temperature can cause the flavors you mention. Not making starters can also play a part- stressed yeast simply causes some bad flavors.

The other thing that comes to my mind is possibly chlorine or chloramines in the brewing water. Many municpal water supplies use chloramine which don't boil off. Chlorine can cause a "burnt plastic" or "clove" or "bandaid" kind of flavor.

I'd use a cooler with a water bath and frozen water bottles around the fermenter (I have a picture in my gallery of mine), make a proper yeast starter, and use chlorine-free water. That should fix the problem.

I agree that this is more than likely the problem here. A high fermentation temperature can cause the flavors you mention. Not making starters can also play a part- stressed yeast simply causes some bad flavors.

The other thing that comes to my mind is possibly chlorine or chloramines in the brewing water. Many municpal water supplies use chloramine which don't boil off. Chlorine can cause a "burnt plastic" or "clove" or "bandaid" kind of flavor.

I'd use a cooler with a water bath and frozen water bottles around the fermenter (I have a picture in my gallery of mine), make a proper yeast starter, and use chlorine-free water. That should fix the problem.

Woohoo I was 2 for 2 on this thread!

Since I have NO IDEA how to read my local water report, I don't know if I have chlorine or chloromites. To get rid of both I usually crush 1.5 camden tablets, mix them into 8-9 gallons of tap water and leave it sitting in an uncovered container overnight. Hopefully the Camden removes any chloromites I might have, and the chlorine evaporated off overnight.

might that be the sanitizer taste?

I kinda honestly dont trust "leave in" stuff and rinse everything anyway if for nothing else than to make a cleaner living - sanitizer in beer are just few more chemicals Im sure my body does not need :D

there's a reason they call it one step sanitizer. if you rinse it out with water, you just de-sanitized it.

there's a reason they call it one step sanitizer. if you rinse it out with water, you just de-sanitized it.

Alternately, If you didn't mix according to the label it won't all evaporate.
Make sure to follow the instructions for any sort of cleaner. With bleach, for instance, if you have too much bleach in the mixture you won't get "extra clean", you'll get band-aid flavoured beer. With no-rinse stuff it's especially important.

Alternately, If you didn't mix according to the label it won't all evaporate.
Make sure to follow the instructions for any sort of cleaner. With bleach, for instance, if you have too much bleach in the mixture you won't get "extra clean", you'll get band-aid flavoured beer. With no-rinse stuff it's especially important.

Exactly, I have used bleach almost exclusively since my starter kit sanatizer ran out. If you know what you are doing, you can make a very cheap and simple no rinse sanatizer with bleach

Latest posts

Back