Fun with the leftover ingredients

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cryovenom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just started into home brewing this year and have done up a couple of 2.5gal brew-in-a-bag, all-grain brews. I decided to try a variety of styles to have some fun with it, so I brewed a Belgian Wit, a German Hefeweizen, an English Mild Brown, an Irish Red and a Blonde Ale that's kind of an Alexander Keith's clone.

That has left me with all sorts of interesting grains and hops that didn't get used. In many cases I bought enough to do a second batch of the ones above, in others the smallest amount I could buy was way more than I needed (how much black malt does one really need anyway?)

So, I want to try something and figured I'd toss it out to you guys and see what comes up. What would you guys brew if you had the list below to work with? I was thinking that I hadn't brewed anything hoppy yet and I've got some buddies who are fans of IPAs and other hoppy beers, so maybe I could make use of some of these hops? Some kind of weird riff on a Cascadia Dark Ale / Black IPA? Something British? I really don't know.

So let's have fun, what would you brew (2.5gal BIAB batch) if you had:

Maris Otter Pale 3.6kg / 7.8lbs
Pale Wheat Malt 3.1kg / 6.8lbs
German Pilsner Malt 2.3kg / 5lbs
Flaked Wheat 1.6kg / 3.5lbs
2-Row 425g / 0.9lbs

Caramunich II 600g / 1.3lbs
Black Malt 450g / 1lb
Crystal 120 400g / 14oz
Crystal 60 400g / 14oz
Roasted Barley 375g / 13oz
Pale Chocolate Malt 325g / 11.5oz
Crystal 15 300g / 10.5oz
Flaked Maize/Corn 250g / 8.8oz

Willamette 6%AA 94g / 3.3oz
Northern Brewer 10.6%AA 60g / 2.1oz
Centennial 13.5% AA 46g / 1.6oz
East Kent Goldings 4.5%AA 39g / 1.38oz
Cascade 5.8%AA 28g / 1oz
Hallertau 2.5%AA 17g / 0.6oz
Chinook 13.1%AA 7g / 0.25oz

I'll buy whatever yeast works best for whichever suggestion I end up making.

So what do you think guys, there's a lot of selection there, what would you brew?

Jon

how about an altbier? hoppy & bitter enough for your buddies & delicious too!
95% pils
5% caramunich II
NB to 35 IBU
hallertau @ FO
wyeast 1007
lager 3-6 wks post packaging

Ooh, that looks really good and super simple too.

When you say to lager post-packaging, do you mean once it's bottled? So I'd ferment at Ale temps, bottle it, then let it sit in the bottles at lager temps for 3-6wks?

you will want to let em sit at room temp for 2-3 weeks first so they carb up, but after that yes.
the lagering phase makes for a very clean crisp ale. you don't have to do it but it's worth the wait.

Latest posts

Back