Full Volume Extract Boil

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hawkeyes

Reaction score
Hello,

I will be doing a full volume boil soon. I plan on using 6 - 6.5 gallons of water total (1 - 1.5 gallon to account for boil off). Should I still do a late extract addition or just do all the malt at 60 minutes? I've done late extract in the past with good results, but is it necessary if you are doing a full volume boil?

Also, if I do full volume boil and late extract addition. Should I adjust my hops to 20% less? Is it just the bittering hops or all the hops?

I will be brewing Ferocious IPA (A Surly Furious clone) from Midwest.

Thanks!

I still do late additions because theres still the chance to darken the wort if you do a it at the beginning. Your hop utilization will go up with the addition so you can cut them back if you want. Personally i havnt noticed any over bitering.

I do too, for reasons listed above. No noticeable increased hop bitterness for me either, at least not in a negative way.

5.5 gal for me on full boils an end up with 5 gal easily at the end. I have no idea how people boil off over a gallon of water unless they are boiling at 50000 degrees??????

Usually 210 or so for 60 mins an i'm golden.

Back