Fuggles replacement

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DNW

Reaction score
I want to make BierMuncher's Black Pearl Porter, but I don't have any Fuggles. What I have are on hand are Cascade, Cluster, Hallertau and Saaz. The recipe calls for a very light hop schedule - .5 oz at 60 mins and .5 oz at 2 mins. What would be my best options?

BTW, I am not going to make the recipe exactly as presented - I am going to leave out the dextrine and lactose if that would influence the hop selection.

I realize it won't be "Black Pearl Porter", just looking to make something that tastes good...

Just use your highest alpha hop for bittering so that it will contribute the least amount of hop flavor possible. Remember to recalculate to get the appropriate IBUs.

I'd recommend Cluster for the late addition, just cause I like its flavor. Remember, a half ounce is not going to come through super strong in the final beer, so you could even skip the late addition and settle for a maltier beer.

Thanks for the tips, especially about the function of bittering. I'm still pretty new to brewing and so far I haven't tried understanding hops - just following the recipe. It's good to start filling out that part of my knowledge base. Will give it a try with Hallertau for bittering and the Cluster for flavor and see how it comes out. I'm sure it will all get "drunk".

Thanks for the tips, especially about the function of bittering. I'm still pretty new to brewing and so far I haven't tried understanding hops - just following the recipe. It's good to start filling out that part of my knowledge base. Will give it a try with Hallertau for bittering and the Cluster for flavor and see how it comes out. I'm sure it will all get "drunk".

Sorry, just don't agree with that. A lot of people strongly dislike Cluster. I've never used it for aroma myself, but think you're taking a bigger risk using it like that rather than using a much loved hop like Cascade for aroma. If I were you, with those hops, I'd use Cluster for bittering, NOT for aroma, and Cascade for aroma. But it all comes down to personal taste. And, yeah, using such a small amount won't likely offend you any way you choose to go. But you might as well use a higher alpha hop for bittering here, which means not the Saaz or Hallertauer.

I want to make BierMuncher's Black Pearl Porter, but I don't have any Fuggles. What I have are on hand are Cascade, Cluster, Hallertau and Saaz. The recipe calls for a very light hop schedule - .5 oz at 60 mins and .5 oz at 2 mins. What would be my best options?

BTW, I am not going to make the recipe exactly as presented - I am going to leave out the dextrine and lactose if that would influence the hop selection.

I realize it won't be "Black Pearl Porter", just looking to make something that tastes good...

I'd say Willametter if you had them. Just go buy an oz of fuggles if you can lol. I'm not at my usual computer, so I don't have a link to hop descriptions/varieties and what flavors/aromas they give off.

I just brewed the black pearl porter about a month ago. i kept it in the primary for 2 weeks then bottled. This is a pretty malty beer. I used williamette for the two hop additions. Mine has zero hop aroma. The only problem i had with mine is I used S-04 and couldn't get it to drop past 1.024. I had one after a week in the bottle and it was pretty good for being green. It should be good with just about any hop you want to use.

That is a great recipe and my first batch of that beer has already been completely consumed to critical acclaim. As others have said, this beer has very little hop presence so it isn't too important what you use. I too would stick with just a bittering addition at 60 minutes and forget about the late hop additions. If it were me I'd bitter only with the highest alpha acid hop that I had on hand which is probably the Cascades in your case.

Back