• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to HomeBrewTalk and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Indiana FS: $50 commercial quality undercounter refrigerators for fermentation chamber builds

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HBC

Reaction score
Guys, I have ~20 or so U-LINE undercounter refrigerators asking $50 each or will discount the entire lot... very similar to this model/style that I need to sell/move quickly- they are taking a good deal of space in my garage.

I suspect that they would be costly for shipping..and would love to sell them all to one person. I have restored a few/used them for fermentation chambers. I believe all work/have tested with a generic thermostat that I bought online for $15...but I only have one of these! For guys doing their DIY fermentation chamber you would use your own preferred thermostat/thermocontroller anyway.

I live very close to Indianapolis, Indiana. Email/reply if interested-- I can take some photos/email more details if requested.

Would like to see pics/dimensions. What sort of fermenting vessel will fit inside - buckets? 6.5g carboy with airlock?

I might be interested if we get some specific measurements for the units

Yeah.....I would like to see the specs and pics of the unit to. The inside dimensions are my primary interest.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

oh man. if anyone from cincinnati is driving out to pick one up, let me know...

I'm in Noblesville. Very interested in one.

I'm interested as well, not too far of a drive for me to make. Would like to know the model # and see some pics though.

oh man. if anyone from cincinnati is driving out to pick one up, let me know...
I maybe would. Although I'm not getting why is this fridge ~$1000 when you can buy a small dorm fridge for ~$200? What's so special about this one? I bought a scratch and dent fridge I use for my kegerator for $70. What's the difference?

Okay.. sorry for the delay
NOTE: I have these in the back of my garage, so sorry for the dark grainy pics. I just took a snapshot without wiping them down (I will clean em up).

the dimensions (rough):
-Width 12"-
-Height in the tallest area (there is a ledge in the back): 28"
-Depth: 17" -- there is one ledge in the back though... it still should allow a carboy that is 12 or so wide x 20.5" tall. I might want to find someone from indy to test with a carboy before we make any long range sales.

COMPONENTS: The components would be fairly easily/quick to harvest and remove if you have a fermenting chamber already built. You can see the coil in the back-- it is mounted and attached with machine screws meaning you could remove and place into your chamber. Then, just connect the compressor to your temp controller and you have a working ferm.chamber.

* My thought/push would be to use them as a harvest for a larger fermenting chamber. I have seen folks attach a box to a fridge and expanded the size.. or you could pull the electronics. The compressor/electronics are mainly what made this fridge $1000+ when new.

Again, price is $50.00 and they will need temp controllers. I will test them with my generic temp controller to make sure the compressor works and pumps cold.

insidefridge.jpg

outsidefridge.jpg

I maybe would. Although I'm not getting why is this fridge ~$1000 when you can buy a small dorm fridge for ~$200? What's so special about this one? I bought a scratch and dent fridge I use for my kegerator for $70. What's the difference?

Honestly, I too wondered why they sell for so much new..

used/restored-- I could get $300 or so for this brand online.. I bought them for brewing needs and do not mess with Ebay anymore. Therefore, I have no desire to spend time refurbing for the public/folks that might want to use them as refrigerators.

I look at them as a perfect donor for a DIY fermentation chamber. The cooling pack/coil is on back/and can be removed fairly easily, along with the compressor. I suspect the components themselves are likely the reason for the cost originally?

I'm in central ky and would love two if someone was coming down south a little further and had room for two extra and could meet somewhere convenient for them.

I'm in central ky and would love two if someone was coming down south a little further and had room for two extra and could meet somewhere convenient for them.

I will be cutting through central KY on April 21- If I have one left, I can meet off of 65 somewhere... Destination will be south of NashvilleTN

BTW, how did you get so many? were these pulled from a hotel or something?

Sam
Bought at auction- from the convention center. I was told they had a new concession vendor contract. I ended up with these, and about 10-of the same style but ice makers too... I have not even started looking at those yet and I have owned for 2-years now!

I will be cutting through central KY on April 21- If I have one left, I can meet off of 65 somewhere... Destination will be south of NashvilleTN

Well keep me in mind if you have two or three even still I'd take that many off your hands. I can get to 65 in about an hour so that wouldn't be bad at all.

Well keep me in mind if you have two or three even still I'd take that many off your hands. I can get to 65 in about an hour so that wouldn't be bad at all.

Sounds good: I will email you a few days out to see what I have left.

If you can fit a corny keg in it and it works then I'd still like 2

If you can fit a corny keg in it and it works then I'd still like 2

It will definately fit one-corny..and maybe a small co2 in the back on that shelf.. I had to mod the door (there is plastic vacuum formed shelving that covers the insulation on the door that I cut out on one) when I put my corny in one last year... the corny fits just fine if you are willing to take the plastic off the door. The carboy is not as tall meaning with the shelf area, if you sit on it-- might be okay... just don't know since I do not have one to test.

Ideally, my intention was to sell these to folks who want to make a DIY fermentation chamber: https://www.google.com/search?q=diy+ferm+chamber+with+dorm+fridge&espv=2&es_sm=119&tbm=isch&imgil=th21kjwzLzgRhM%253A%253Bhttps%253A%252F%252Fencrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com%252Fimages%253Fq%253Dtbn%253AANd9GcS33J8vHKb136XUgZ_rrjBi1ez5ZA0ltREiLzk2STz2rApMPv1s%253B800%253B519%253BufpIfkntSwHyaM%253Bhttp%25253A%25252F%25252Fwww.homebrewtalk.com%25252Ff51%25252Ffermentation-chamber-91455%25252F&source=iu&usg=__75TwY62WKZ7CCJVGAYx5OqpIhXU%3D&sa=X&ei=upw8U4ikOIjR2QX1ioGYBA&ved=0CEcQ9QEwBg#facrc=_&imgdii=_&imgrc=th21kjwzLzgRhM%253A%3BufpIfkntSwHyaM%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Flh5.ggpht.com%252F_tM63e4Rno2Y%252FSTbZBHg680I%252FAAAAAAAABaY%252Fnm2FwMWyUbk%252Fs800%252FFerm%252520Chamber.jpg%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.homebrewtalk.com%252Ff51%252Ffermentation-chamber-91455%252F%3B800%3B519

^^ that's my plan I've built a large fermenting chamber/storage on top 80" long 36" tall and 20 deep I believe probably going to have two sides inside to it since it fits 5 buckets or carboys and I need at least two fridges (one for each side) so if it works out I'll be in business.

^^ that's my plan I've built a large fermenting chamber/storage on top 80" long 36" tall and 20 deep I believe probably going to have two sides inside to it since it fits 5 buckets or carboys and I need at least two fridges (one for each side) so if it works out I'll be in business.

great.. my guess is that I will have a few left that the door seals are not sufficient for those who want to use standalone.. those seals are tricky and although I am sure they would work just fine, I just know that if standalone I would want a brand new seal period.. Therefore, I am sure I will have a few left for you when I travel down south here in a few weeks. I have ice-makers that look identical.. and probably have the same components that we can look at if needed. I bought this entire lot on whim, thinking I could do something with them and glad that they might just make BEER!!!!!!!

great.. my guess is that I will have a few left that the door seals are not sufficient for those who want to use standalone.. those seals are tricky and although I am sure they would work just fine, I just know that if standalone I would want a brand new seal period.. Therefore, I am sure I will have a few left for you when I travel down south here in a few weeks. I have ice-makers that look identical.. and probably have the same components that we can look at if needed. I bought this entire lot on whim, thinking I could do something with them and glad that they might just make BEER!!!!!!!

Yea if there's some cosmetic or seals or stuff like that put my name on those I'll take as many as 3 if you have them when the time comes

Back