Fruits in beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beershoppa

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I bought the Festa Brew kit (the wort, sugar and stuff) to make my home beer. I heard that some people put fruits in the wort in fermentation like citrus fruits, apples, etc. I would like to know first of all if it's really possible and then I would like to know when to put it in the wort.

Thanks a lot,
Beershoppa

I would stay away from adding citrus fruit... it doesnt ferment with the proper flavors you might expect. Use zest or rind for citrus additions. I would brew a few regular beers before getting into fruit, so that you can confirm your procedure is sanitary and produces drinkable beer.

Look at your LHBS or online for the Vitners Harvest puree's or Oregon Fruit Puree

They are what i would assume most commercial fruit beer's use as they sell direct to breweries through.

They are nice because they are asceptically sealed and sanitized for you and are already puree'd to get the most flavor out you just dump as much of the puree in as you need(usually 1# is a good bit) and freeze the rest.

You dont have to worry about sanitation or infecting your beer...or any other preparation other than using a clean can opener.

Too many good beers are ruined by fruit infecting the beer when you put it in. People do all sorts of crazy stuff to try and pasteurize it and it just does nothing but ruin the fruit and its effects on the beer.

You can get the fruit cans for pretty much any fruit you'd ever care to add to a beer or wine...

I thought this would post where some couple fell into a fermentor.

Back