Fruit & Pepper additions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boondocksaint

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I brewed an IPA last Sat for a mango habanero IPA recipe I came up with. My plan is to go 10 days primary;
then add fresh mango (7 mangoes gave me 3lbs of fruit -which I froze in a ziplock) (7 days);
Rack to secondary & add .75 oz ea El Dorado & Citra dry hop (5 days);
Add 1 habanero (seeded & deveined -roasted lightly to bring out the flavor) (5 days & taste for heat)
Rack to keg & cold crash for 2 days then force carb.

-Debating on adding the mango straight into the primary by itself or maybe putting it in a sanitized mesh bag? Thoughts/Suggestions?

-For the habanero, I plan on using a sanitized hop bag weighted with sanitized glass marbles after roasting it wrapped in foil for 45 min at 210 degrees. I want the habanero to be noticeable but subtle. (FYSA, My perspective is that Founders Mango Magnifico was done exceptionally well. A def hint of habanero but not overwhelming. On the flip side, I think BP Habanero Sculpin was way overdone.)

So, again thoughts on the fruit addition process?

Thanks & cheers.

To be honest, I think adding habanero to an IPA is a waste of hops... The habanero taste is so dominant that it'll be hard to taste the hops.

I make a habanero pale ale called Creekwater 911, the way we do it is by liquefying a pepper in 8 oz of vodka ( in a blender) and then adding the filtered liquid to the finished beer ( in the keg). The key is reproducibility . You might wanna try using just 4 oz of the fire juice for 5 gallons of beer. ��

I make a habanero pale ale called Creekwater 911, the way we do it is by liquefying a pepper in 8 oz of vodka ( in a blender) and then adding the filtered liquid to the finished beer ( in the keg).

Appreciate the insight on the habanero addition. I like the idea of a habanero slurry but I think I'm going to roll with the roasting & adding either halved or quartered. Roasting brings out the subtle fruitiness of the pepper and gives it a great flavor.

Still debating on the mango addition tho. Anyone have a tried & true can't fail method? :mug:

Still debating on the mango addition tho. Anyone have a tried & true can't fail method? :mug:

Cubed, frozen, straight into secondary.

GfGVf1r.jpg

IMG_20160409_124415136_HDR_1.jpg

FWIW, I made a jalapeno cream ale and in doing my research contacted a few breweries that I had examples from and asked them about their addition schedules. I ended up soaking 4 halved jalapeno's in some Everclear for about 2 weeks and then added that to 2 gallons of the cream ale for 3 days and it is on the edge of too hot, had it gone longer it would be too hot but surprisingly still has a great overall pepper flavor.
I would suggest tasting no later than day 2 and see where the heat/flavor is and make your decision from there.

To be honest, I think adding habanero to an IPA is a waste of hops... The habanero taste is so dominant that it'll be hard to taste the hops.

I make a habanero pale ale called Creekwater 911, the way we do it is by liquefying a pepper in 8 oz of vodka ( in a blender) and then adding the filtered liquid to the finished beer ( in the keg). The key is reproducibility . You might wanna try using just 4 oz of the fire juice for 5 gallons of beer. í*½í¸‰

I would have to respectfully disagree with this. I love several habanero IPAs. Heat seems to hit you in your throat when done well.

I make a habanero pale ale called Creekwater 911, the way we do it is by liquefying a pepper in 8 oz of vodka ( in a blender) and then adding the filtered liquid to the finished beer ( in the keg). The key is reproducibility . You might wanna try using just 4 oz of the fire juice for 5 gallons of beer. í*½í¸‰

I would have to respectfully disagree with this. When done right the heat hits you in your throat with just a bit of earthiness from the pepper in the taste.

I would have to respectfully disagree with this. When done right the heat hits you in your throat with just a bit of earthiness from the pepper in the taste.

FWIW, I made a jalapeno cream ale and in doing my research contacted a few breweries that I had examples from and asked them about their addition schedules. I ended up soaking 4 halved jalapeno's in some Everclear for about 2 weeks and then added that to 2 gallons of the cream ale for 3 days and it is on the edge of too hot, had it gone longer it would be too hot but surprisingly still has a great overall pepper flavor.
I would suggest tasting no later than day 2 and see where the heat/flavor is and make your decision from there.

Thanks. Yeah, I went the same route & talked to a local brewery that has done some really great pepper beers (pineapple habanero blonde, ghost pepper gose, etc) and that's at least in part how I decided on the habanero addition. Originally, I was thinking about adding a seeded/deveined pepper at 5 min and letting it steep for 20 min but he recommended against it. They do all of their pepper additions as seeded/deveined and thrown in a star-san'ed (sp?) mesh bag.

I prob will check for heat/flavor at 3 days though as I agree, I don't want it to be too hot.

Cheers!

Dang sorry!

lol
Sort got away from you there jready ? :p

I'm not sure what you're disagreeing about, but I suspect it's the part about being a waste of hops maybe. My point was , hops are expensive, and i've never tasted a Habanero spiced beer where I could still taste hops. YMMV.

Back