Fruit harvest time!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yooper

Ale's What Cures You!
Staff member
Admin
Mod
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So far this week we picked blackberries, crabapples, black currants, and choke cherries. This is definitely a very busy time of year for us, but the wine is so worth it!

Attachments

• 99A56E03-2E0C-4E84-B62A-9D3F63379C9E.jpeg
    99A56E03-2E0C-4E84-B62A-9D3F63379C9E.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 10
  • 9F8D4707-7497-47A8-89FD-F676C028758C.jpeg
    9F8D4707-7497-47A8-89FD-F676C028758C.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 10
  • 62FE6AA5-E698-4FF4-B970-B4401154C887.jpeg
    62FE6AA5-E698-4FF4-B970-B4401154C887.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 11
Yes! Here on Vancouver Island the blackberries are just starting to ripen. Two days of picking after work and I have 5 lb in the freezer, but I need 45 lb to make up for a lack of affordable Okanagan cherries at the grocery store this year. Fingers crossed for the August peaches. My garden did produce a fair amount of rhubarb.

I just bottled last year's blackberry-blueberry wine and it's going to be pretty good in a few months.

Yes! Here on Vancouver Island the blackberries are just starting to ripen. Two days of picking after work and I have 5 lb in the freezer, but I need 45 lb to make up for a lack of affordable Okanagan cherries at the grocery store this year. Fingers crossed for the August peaches. My garden did produce a fair amount of rhubarb.

I just bottled last year's blackberry-blueberry wine and it's going to be pretty good in a few months.

My ex-husband has a huge blackberry patch, and years ago (maybe 18 or 20), he gave us some blackberry plants to plant here in town. They are doing well overall, but this year there is very little fruit due to the heavy snow load and deer browse this past winter.

So we've been picking some out at his place, and we are thankful but it's not nearly enough for our usual blackberry or mixed berry wines.

Chokecherries are hard to come by also this year, and we just picked about 13 pounds this morning but had to look hard for them.

There are few apples around this year too, so we're probably going to buy a few wine kits to get us through our yearly supply.

We do have a lot of concord-type grapes and it's "ok" as a wine. I think I'll add some black currants or elderberries to it to make it more palatable.

Black and Blue really is a perfect blend for a nice thick bodied summer country wine. Its just so friggin good chilled on a summer afternoon sitting at the backyard patio under the umbrella. I'm trying making Blue-raspberry for the first time this year so no Black and Blue next year. My wife will kill me if I start another this year lol

Back