fruit flies

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

edb23

Reaction score
Ok so,

I've been using a bottling bucket as one of my primaries lately, since it makes a lot of things easier and when i prime with something like coopers carbonation drops it just makes the whole world a lot more pleasant. However, very recently a whole HELL of a lot of fruit flies have been attracted to this beer. I mean a whole HELL of a lot. like a swarm. all on the bottling spigot. I've been nervous to take a sample, however the lid to the bucket is clear and their is no sign of infection. what should i do? dump the beer? how would i even go about bottling in a sanitary way with all these flies all over the place?

Do you have a leaky spigot?
Get a spray bottle with hot PBW or something similar to spray the spigot out then rinse and repeat until you are sure its clean then sanitize and bottle as usual. Cross your fingers and hope you got all of the acetobacter out of the spigot.

Get another primarty if you can afford it.

Back