Fruit flavoring extract addition

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dhammers91

Reaction score
I brewed a raspberry wheat all grain kit from Austin home brew. They give u a little 2 oz bottle of raspberry flavored extract toads right before bottling. I just got into kegging so this will b my 3rd batch into the keg. The instructions say to add the flavoring into the bottling bucket. Since I'm kegging, should I just dump the flavoring into the keg and rack on top of it, or should I add the flavoring to the secondary fermenter and let it sit in there to begin melding the flavors together?

Thanks for the suggestions! :)

Another reason I am asking (and why I posted this in the yeast section) is because I am looking to bottle some of my beer out of the kegs to give away as gifts. I was wondering what I should do or add to my beer after fermentation to kill or slow down the yeast so when I bottle out of the keg and the bottle of carved beer then warms up, I don't want bottle bombs. I don't know exactly the ingredient make up of the raspberry extract, but I am assuming that it has sugars in it. I don't want to add it to the keg and rack cold beer on it, carb, bottle, and then give little gifts if death and destruction... Any clever ideas or suggestions would b greatly appreciated!

It has no sugars. Add it to the bottling bucket or keg when you are ready to package it. Just be careful how much you add, that stuff can be pretty nasty in a high concentration. I suggest adding a little (using a food syringe or alike) to a small cup of the beer. Make sure you know the volume of each. Add a little at a time until you hit the concentration you like, then add just a little more as flavor dissipates over time. Now scale up this concentration and add it to the keg and rack.

Back