Fruit Clogging issue on Keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

radwizard

Reaction score
I just put a heavily fruited beer on tap. It was primed with sugar a little over a month ago, and finally is chilled and ready to go.

The fruit was a puree- oregon fruit. I didn't think it would clog, due to how fine it was. I was planning on just pouring a few sludgy pints and until it ran clear.

Anywhos, I was wrong and I keep getting clogs in the poppet of fruity sludge. I plugged the keg out and just kept pouring, removing the post, clearing the debris, and repeat.
After a few times I finally had a clear, nice pour. I put the keg back in, and during the movement- it clogged again. I'm over it right now, and will deal with it some more later.

Any tips on this for the future? I have always choose not to use any screening on my dip tubes in fear of a clog on the bottom which seems like a PITA to clear.

Thoughts or Advice?
Thanks!

Well this floating dip tube might be an option for you in the future. The dip tube with the full screen on it works great for heavily dry hopped kegs and fruit, since it dispenses from the top of the keg and not the bottom where everything settles. The beer is also clearer and you don't have to wait as long for the whole keg to meld and the flavor to come together as it takes the beer from the top first. Here is a link if you want to take a look: http://www.clearbeerdraughtsystem.com/

I had a keg that was so full of dry hops it was like soup. When I cold crashed it all the hops went to the bottom and clogged the dip tube and poppet. I ordered this dip tube with the screen option and it was smooth sailing and the beer poured perfectly with this. Something to think about if you have a lot of fruit or hops in your keg and don't use a hop container to keep the hops contained.

John

Back