Slow Tap

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oyarsa

Reaction score
I have a homemade keezer that has been working fine for me with 3 taps. A couple weeks ago I tapped a new keg of Zombie Dust clone. It is currently the only keg in the keezer. I applied CO2 to the beverage out to force keg at 30 PSI. Unfortunately, we left on a lengthy trip the next day and I forgot to lower the pressure. I had also taken the time to clean the keezer and unplugged it. So, the keg was at 30 PSI at around 74 degrees for about a week and a half.

When I got home, I purged the keg, shook it, left it over night, purged, shook some more, etc. I plugged the keezer in and swapped the CO2 to the gas in. In the meantime I cleaned the tap I was going to use. I put everything back together and a tiny bit of beer came out, but then nothing. Thinking maybe the dip tube was clogged, I tried lots of things to clear a clog (putting the gas back on the beverage out, high PSI, etc). That did not work. I would maybe get a good amount at first for just a second, but then it would stop entirely. So, I opened the keg and attached a floating dip tube (first time using one). That still did not work. I thought the tap might be the problem, so I switched to another tap, and still nothing.

I then thought maybe the beverage out ball lock might be the problem, so I swapped it with one from another keg. Now, the beer comrd out at a trickle, but at least comes out. This tap had a long tube going to the tap, so I tried one with a shorter tube and a different ball lock disconnect. It came out well at first, but then returned to a trickle. The beer is still somewhat warm, but tastes good and is not over-carbonated, at least. I just can't figure out why the beer is trickling out. I do have Intertap flow control faucets, but I've tried adjusting the flow and all I can get is a trickle.

So, I've tried different taps, different lengths of tube, different disconnects, different ball locks, and a floating dip tube as opposed to a regular dip tube. I definitely have CO2 going into the keg as I can purge it and it refills with CO2. Any thoughts? Maybe the fact that it is warm has something to do with it, though I can't see how?

It isn't clear whether you removed the Out post for inspection and cleaning. If you didn't do that yet, I'd do it now :)
Otherwise...somewhere there's a clog. Swap everything, end to end, and eventually you'll figure it out...

Cheers!

Day_trippr, I did remove the out post and swapped it with another out post. That is when the tap started to at least allow a trickle. I tried upping the pressure to see what would happen. Now, it has changed to just spurting out gas and foam. This is now using a floating dip tube. Perhaps the end is not properly submerged?

Well, I'm not sure what cured the trickle, but I opened the keg again (my poor Zombie Dust is probably nicely oxidized now) and added washers to the floating dip tube. Now, it pours quite well.

Back