Fruit bits in melomel after 1st racking?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jackinil

Reaction score
I racked my cherry melomel last week and there are some fruit bits floating around. Are these a potential problem and should I try to fish them out? Will they eventually sink to the bottom? TIA

Don't worry about them. They'll fall soon. Just may have racked a little too quick before they were done fermenting out.

Agree, they will either settle out or float. Next rack consider adding a bit of chees cloth to your tube.

Next ferment consider adding fruit in a sanitized mesh bag. Makes for easy clean up and no floaty bits. Assumes your fermenters "mouth" is large enough to accomodate.

Next time I will DEFINITELY use a mesh bag. Thanks!
Fyi: I use the 1 and 5 gallon paint strainer bags from home depot and lowes. I boil them first, and if you rinse them out and soak them in star san afterward, you can reuse them over and over. Look for 5 gal. Elastic Top Strainers

Fyi: I use the 1 and 5 gallon paint strainer bags from home depot and lowes. I boil them first, and if you rinse them out and soak them in star san afterward, you can reuse them over and over. Look for 5 gal. Elastic Top Strainers
Are those food safe?

Second using the mesh bags.

Protip- turn them inside out so the fruit bits are less likely to get caught in the fabric for the seams.

Some fruits produce really fine particulates that will get through even fine mesh, I plan on having to rack off at least once more in secondary.

Some fruits produce really fine particulates that will get through even fine mesh
Agreed. Strawberries, raspberries, blackberries & the seeds from blueberries to name a few (+1).
Mesh bags are worth their weigh in gold. After the 3rd melomel I made I switched to using bags for all my additives, spices included. I bought some small 3"×4" bags just for spices. Cheap enough to just toss once I fish them out. It beats having to rack to remove the spices😉

Are those food safe?
You can get mesh brew bags designed for beer and wine making.

This is what I use. I use a 5 gallon bucket for primary and this is big enough to loop over the edge and still allow the fruit to be submerged when making a 1 gallon batch.

Bellamei Brew Bags Extra Large Reusable 2 Pack 250 Micron Fine Mesh Bag for Fruit Cider Apple Grape Wine Press Drawstring Straining Brew in a Bag (2 pack-22"×26") Amazon.com

You can get mesh brew bags designed for beer and wine making.

This is what I use. I use a 5 gallon bucket for primary and this is big enough to loop over the edge and still allow the fruit to be submerged when making a 1 gallon batch.

Bellamei Brew Bags Extra Large Reusable 2 Pack 250 Micron Fine Mesh Bag for Fruit Cider Apple Grape Wine Press Drawstring Straining Brew in a Bag (2 pack-22"×26") Amazon.com
Yes, I get these bags, I have many actually. I just wanted to know if the ones from the paint aisle were food safe.....likely cheaper than the 250 micron bags I use.

Back