Fruit Beer Tune Up

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

weetodd

Reaction score
So I brewed a 5 gallon american wheat, basicallly 60/40 2-row/wheat with Mt. Hood hops to about 20 IBU.

I added pureed and strained watermelon juice (3 cups after straining) just after primary fermentation was done (Wyeast 1056). Left it for a few more days, got a little more fermentation from the juice and then kegged (about 4 days after adding the juice). Once in the fridge, I tasted before fully-carbed in the keg (about 2 days on the gas at 12 psi) and there was just enough watermelon pulling through the middle, but now after a week on the gas and just about carbed up, the flavor has faded significantly, almost not noticeable.

Any thoughts about adding a little more juice to the keg to refreshen the watermelon flavor? I'd be serving in a couple of days.

Any experience with this and lessons learned or recommendations?

Cheers and thanks in advance.

Sorry to be slightly off topic. I just made a brew similar to yours today. How did it turn out?

I used a different yeast and hops WLP320 and Perle. I was a bit concerned with the IBU I'm going to be right at 19-20, which is where you are. How is the bitterness of your beer? I've been slightly afraid that the IBU may be to high.

Just to close the loop on this one - I ended up adding another 2 cups of juice right to the keg - gave it a shake and tasted. It was just about where I wanted it, so I put it back on the gas and served it that night. It was a hit.

Maybe this self-thread will help someone out there sometime.

Cheers.

Latest posts

Back