Frozen yeast bank frozen solid

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drunkinThailand

Reaction score
So yesterday I started my first attempt at a frozen yeast bank. I was under the impression that by using the glycerin solution the vials never actually freeze solid, but this morning I woke up and that is what has happened.

I mixed up a solution 25% glycerin and 75% water, mixed 5 ml of that and 5 ml of yeast/beer in the vials, then put the vials in isopropyl alcohol and into the freezer.

What did I do wrong?

I have been freezing yeast for a few years. I typically use slightly more glycerin but you should be fine. It does freeze pretty solid. I have had all but one batch work out great

cool, i thought it was supposed to remain liquid. luckily i only used half of the yeast i made because i wanted to have a backup, and next time i will up the glycerin a little, but glad to know i'm probably fine.

how much glycerin do you use?

cool, i thought it was supposed to remain liquid. luckily i only used half of the yeast i made because i wanted to have a backup, and next time i will up the glycerin a little, but glad to know i'm probably fine.

how much glycerin do you use?

Ill have to check but i believe it came out to 15 - 20%. I have my instructions at home.

thanks, i appreciate it

Ok so good news. I end up with the same consentration (12.5%) glycerin as you. I think you are 100% fine. You will probably see some seperation in your viles as well. I have always wondered if this is a problem, but yeast always takes off in a starter so havent worried about it to much. Best of luck to you! Since I have started doing this I have greatly reduced the yeast I buy. I keep 5 strains frozen and in 2016 I only bought liquid yeast once for a lager I did. I do still use some dry yeast as I sometimes decide to brew on a whim and no time for a starter.

Yes, your fine. They are supposed to freeze. The glycerin just helps the cell walls from bursting when it freezes.

Sure, it can survive without glycerin(sometimes) but you drastically affect the viability and vitality of the strain. On a homebrew scale, not a huge deal but not ideal either.

great thanks everyone. i was wondering about the separation as well, so that is another good thing to know is normal.

Back