Frozen Jockey Box

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bleme

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So I was at a beerfest last weekend, helping a distributor. We had 4 jockey boxes, 2 taps each. We hooked each of the kegs up and ran the taps for about 30 seconds to clear out all the sanitizer left in the lines. They poured pure beer for at least 10 seconds each. Just as we finished, the event coordinator showed up with ice for the jockey boxes.

About 30 minutes later (ten minutes till they open the gates) I decided to pull a sample and got barely a trickle, then frozen beer slushie! Some of the taps could push out the slush on their own but on a couple of them I had to scoop out all the ice and let the line warm up a little to get them flowing. One of those was an 8.2% IPA!

I've never seen anything like this before and it just doesn't make any sense. Did they figure a way to get ice below 32F?

Ice freezes at 32F, yes. It can get much colder than that though. I feel like the ice was stored in a deep freezer before the event.

Back