Frozen Beer!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

menschmaschine

Reaction score
OK, so now I know what it feels like to make a bone-head move in brewing. I was 2.5 weeks in primary for an AG Bitter and thought "hey, I'll crash cool it in my handy temp. controlled chest freezer a couple days before bottling this weekend." Well, temp. controls only work if the probe is actually IN THE FREEZER. You can call me whatever you like... I deserve it. Dumb-a$$ seems fitting.

So, my freezer was running non-stop for 24 hours and froze the beer pretty rock solid. It was in 2 Better Bottles, and they're all distorted, so at least they weren't glass... I think they would have cracked apart.

I'm hoping this will be one of those RDWHAHB threads. Questions:
-It's still good, right? (Like Homer Simpson trying to catch the flying pig at the BBQ)
-Will the beer suffer any ill effects in regard to flavor?
-Are the yeast dead? I'm bottling, so do I need to add more yeast to the bottling bucket?
-Anything else I should do? (Please say, RDWHAHB)

I did the same thing last week and have been brewing 36 years. It can happen to anyone. Mine was all frosty when I opened the door and it had been about 11 hours. It was not completely frozen but very close. Nothing broke thank you very much but I did note that it did change the flavor that was a faint image of it's former self. Just open the door and turn off the power and let it get to a liquid state before you cool it any more. Good luck...... I hope nothing broke??

Wow, you're fast. Thanks. Nothing broke that I can tell (until it liquifies again). What do you think about the yeast?

Yeast...well, yeast don't like to be frozen. The yeast cells contain water, and water has this tendency to expand as it freezes and form crystals. Burst yeast == dead yeast. Even if all of the yeast aren't dead, the metabolic viability of any remaining has been severely messed with.

Repitching would probably be a good idea in this case.

Quick, remove any big chunks of ice! You've now succeeded in making eisbier! Congrats. :D.

RadicalEd said:
Quick, remove any big chunks of ice! You've now succeeded in making eisbier! Congrats. :D.

EisBitter? I think I'll keep it all together. Besides, it IS one big chunk of ice. I'll just let it thaw, pitch the only yeast I have lying around (1 yr old Superior Dry Lager Yeast) and hope for the best:cross:.

i froze a keg not to long ago in my kegger. it was quite the bummer. i ended up dumping it cause it didn't taste all that great anyways. live and learn! i ended up moving my temp control to my kegerator. thank god i put the probe INSIDE the kegger. lol!

now i just need to throw out some more bones for another temp controler. it's starting to get hot here.

PUD said:
i ended up dumping it cause it didn't taste all that great anyways. live and learn! i ended up moving my temp control to my kegerator.

Did it taste relatively the same before and after freezing?... or didn't you taste it after freezing?

I froze my Sam Adams Imperial Pilsner and it tasted the same after it thawed out..I know it isn't the same but just thought I would post it...

RadicalEd said:

My thoughts exactly. You've just unwittingly recreated one of the discoveries of beer pioneers. Eisbier and eisbock. Throw out the ice, and keg it. I'd be curious as to how it would taste.

BTW why crash cool anyway? Are you trying to clear it?

Regards,
Al

GIusedtoBe said:
My thoughts exactly. You've just unwittingly recreated one of the discoveries of beer pioneers. Eisbier and eisbock. Throw out the ice, and keg it. I'd be curious as to how it would taste.

Regards,
Al

Well, technically, that would be "freeze distilling," which our government has decided is a crime! (But, what do THEY know?)

I'd, do it!:mug:

steve

GIusedtoBe said:
BTW why crash cool anyway? Are you trying to clear it?

Yeah, I let some trub get into the fermenter (thanks, Whirlfloc) and wanted to clear it up a bit without going into secondary.

"I'll just let it thaw, pitch the only yeast I have lying around (1 yr old Superior Dry Lager Yeast) and hope for the best."

I suggest making a simple starter, especially if you yeast has not been stored in a refrigerator or freezer. You should have activity in less than an hour, if you make a simple starter. Call it peace of mind.

Old_Brewer said:
I suggest making a simple starter, especially if you yeast has not been stored in a refrigerator or freezer. You should have activity in less than an hour, if you make a simple starter. Call it peace of mind.

It's already fermented out. The yeast adding is just for bottle priming. I've decided to pick up some S-04 and rehydrate it before adding to the bottling bucket. I don't trust using the lager yeast to prime an ale since they can convert a few more sugars than ale yeast.

Latest posts

Back