From Virginia

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jags

Reaction score
Hey all, been lurking for a few months and must have mentioned brewing to swmbo cause I got a Mr Beer for xmas. First batch is one day away from two weeks and gravity is down to 1.018. I didn't get the SG. Does this sound low enough to bottle or has it stuck? The recipie I used was:
1 can West Coast Pale Ale
1 can Creamy Brown Malt Extract
1 packet Booster

It doesn't taste too bad, I just don't wanna make bottle bombs.

I've never used a Mr. Beer so I'm not sure on a couple of things, but if you take gravity readings over the next couple/three days and they stay the same you should be safe.

Welcome to the forums, I currently live just South of Richmond, there are a few others on this forum up by you though. :mug:

jags said:
Hey all, been lurking for a few months and must have mentioned brewing to swmbo cause I got a Mr Beer for xmas. First batch is one day away from two weeks and gravity is down to 1.018. I didn't get the SG. Does this sound low enough to bottle or has it stuck? The recipie I used was:
1 can West Coast Pale Ale
1 can Creamy Brown Malt Extract
1 packet Booster

It doesn't taste too bad, I just don't wanna make bottle bombs.

Not too sure about the amount of extract in each can, as I've never used kits before...so I couldn't tell you your OG.

Assuming, from the fact that you provided a current SG, that you have a hydrometer...so, here's what you do: Take a hydrometer reading when you get the next chance. Then, swirl/stir the beer very lightly---you don't want to introduce oxygen here, just enough to rouse the yeast. Then, wait a couple of days, paying close attention to whether or not you see any airlock activity. Then, you take another hydrometer reading. If there has been no change in 3 days, then you can be pretty sure that all the sugars have been fermented as much as possible, and you can bottle.

When I started out, I couldn't get a batch to ferment out below 1.020. For the life of me, I couldn't figure it out. My attenuation flat-out sucked. Then, I took a couple of steps that have greatly increased my attenuation %, and thus, the quality of my brews. Those two things are:

1) Make BIG-assed yeast starters. Talking about 2 liters of water with 8oz of extract here.

2) Get an aeration kit to properly aerate the wort prior to pitching your yeast. Yeast needs plenty of oxygen to achieve optimal metabolic rates, so this is very important. I got a kit from Austin Homebrew for $30, and it includes a pump, an inline HEPA filter, and an aeration stone. Once you cool your wort after boiling and transfer it to your primary fermenter, you pitch your yeast, then aerate for 20-60 minutes.

Good luck! :mug:

I used a mix-stir in the drill when I first put it in the fermentor and to mix the yeast. Would that give it enough airation or should I still get a stone?

I sterilized a big spoon and gave it a gentle stirring so will see if the gravity comes down.

Thanks all :mug:

Back