From Hot Sauce to Beer, to an LLC

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dbhokie

Reaction score
I just wanted to share some things that have happened with me in the past short bit that I started brewing.

Many years ago I had a hobby of making small batch hot sauce, and about 4 years ago I started growing all of my own peppers, and vegetables to use in the hot sauce. My roommate and I were making about 20-30 gallons a year the past 4 years and giving the bulk of it away. (It made excellent presents). Since then we have had eating establishments pick it up to use in their meals and as a side (Without asking a single soul), and recently began a journey to an LLC.

I started brewing beer not too long ago, I just love making sauces, and beer to me is somewhat like a sauce, different resting temperatures, all sorts of different flavor profiles made from enzymatic reactions. Well I naturally got into brewing quickly, and my third batch was all grain, with MLT's and equipment I had made. As we were going through the hot sauce venture we have been trying to cut expenses. The two single most expensive ingredients in our sauce that we don't grow or raise is honey and Apple Cider Vinegar (with the mother). We were getting non-local organic ACV and struggled to find it under 18 dollars a gallon. After long conversations with some local orchards, I found one that would sell me pure, unfiltered raw fresh apple juice each fall in bulk. Because of my beer brewing experience, I knew I could make my own ACV. I just need to make a 7-8% hard cider from the juice I get. It also turns out we needed to get extra carboys to batch age the sauce in. After making the 7% cider, we simply toss some mother in there to kickstart the alcohol-acetic acid conversion. Three months later, we have our own homemade ACV to use with our sauces. We also were able to find a local large bee farm to get the honey.

Point being, brewing has been a great experience for us, not only have we been making great beer, but it has enabled us to branch out and compound it with things we already love.

The Grains start out making a wort, the spent grains go to the garden. The carboys hold beer, and mature hot sauces and ACV. The large kettles we ended up procuring not only helped us make bigger beer batches, but also allow us to make much larger hot sauce batches, and right now we are having a rough and tumble fun time accommodating demand. The construction of various elements has helped us figure out the best construction for elements that fit our side-business. The relationship with local farms enables us to find really good, organic, regional honey (which is much better for you, especially for allergies!) to use in our hot sauce and beer. (I love the way beer tastes with a bit of honey fermented in).

I have garnered a lot of information off of these forums, which is why I chose to support HBT, and a lot of you out there who have done the same, should do the same. Man has it been a great resource! Thanks!

Are you still marketing your hot sauces? I'm a hot sauce nerd and tend to love finding micro-hot sauces around the region...I probably have about 30 bottles of assorted regionally made hot sauce I get from little shops on my motorcycle trips.

I made my first batch of hot sauce 2 years ago (habanero) from peppers I had grown myself. Made about 4 liters of it and I'm down to my last 1 liter...it's gotten better with age. Would love to chat with you sometime about how to make better hot sauce! I didn't know ACV would be good in hot sauces, I used simple white vinegar in mine. Making sauces and canning is a lot like beer making. My hot sauces actually went into wine bottles which I corked with wine corks.

Congrats on your success! Sounds like you are doing all the right things.

Best wishes for continued success!

I am, I absolutely love it, and when i get off the road (for my primary job) I will send you a PM, with pictures and such..oh hell, you live in Culpepper. That's an hour and a half away, I'll surely get you a PM, and maybe arrange to drop it off to you when I am on my way to DC sometime. We actually let our distributors sell it (they are all local currently), but for someone at HBT, anytime!

Apple Cider Vinegar is fantastic in hot sauces, we use it as a base for all of our sauces, and it imparts a wonderful flavor. We make a range of sauces varying in heat, but my goal with each one despite how hot it is, is for it to taste good. So many times I have ended up with hot sauces that are just hot, and lack totally in taste besides cap and heat. We hope to make sauces bursting in flavor. Ill get some pictures up soon. We are very new to marketing this, but it has been taking off quickly. So we just expanded our pepper garden about 35%.

I am, I absolutely love it, and when i get off the road (for my primary job) I will send you a PM, with pictures and such..oh hell, you live in Culpepper. That's an hour and a half away, I'll surely get you a PM, and maybe arrange to drop it off to you when I am on my way to DC sometime. We actually let our distributors sell it (they are all local currently), but for someone at HBT, anytime!

Apple Cider Vinegar is fantastic in hot sauces, we use it as a base for all of our sauces, and it imparts a wonderful flavor. We make a range of sauces varying in heat, but my goal with each one despite how hot it is, is for it to taste good. So many times I have ended up with hot sauces that are just hot, and lack totally in taste besides cap and heat. We hope to make sauces bursting in flavor. Ill get some pictures up soon. We are very new to marketing this, but it has been taking off quickly. So we just expanded our pepper garden about 35%.

Outstanding! My office is right on HWY 29 on your way to DC. :D

Let me know when you head that way

I'm a real big fan of garlic hot sauces! This is really making me crave some spicy garlic wings! :cross:

Back