Fridge coil location

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dustinstriplin

Reaction score
I want to free up some space in my kegerator by moving the co2 and nitro outside. My question is whether I should be concerned about drilling in the side of the fridge. I’ve heard that the coils are usually on the bottom and back of fridges.

I plan on being careful and probing with a nail before I drill through. I’m just not sure how concerned I should be.

This fridge looks like it’s from the 80’s or early 90’s. I don’t remember the brand offhand.

I want to free up some space in my kegerator by moving the co2 and nitro outside. My question is whether I should be concerned about drilling in the side of the fridge. I’ve heard that the coils are usually on the bottom and back of fridges.

I plan on being careful and probing with a nail before I drill through. I’m just not sure how concerned I should be.

This fridge looks like it’s from the 80’s or early 90’s. I don’t remember the brand offhand.
When the fridge is running, see which of the sides are warm. That will tell you were the condenser coils are.

What about the evaporator coils? Correct me if I'm wrong, but the evaporator coils contain the chilled refrigerant. I'm concerned about the location of the coils that are cold.

Kegerators (not converted fridges) have the condenser coils inside the left/right walls, and the evaporator coils on the back wall, but not buried inside it. My Danby Kegerator has a small cutout in the upper right corner if you look inside the box where the gas tube feeds in. If you have room anywhere like that, then you should be good to drill.

Be sure to use silicone caulk to make it air tight!

Thanks BeerBaron!

I should have been more clear. I have a converted fridge. It didn't even cross my mind to make the distinction, but I can see that it's important. My fridge is a full size with the fridge part on the bottom and the freezer on the top.

Thanks again for your help!

Big distinction there.
Typically there is either a passive external condenser standing up at the back of this unit, or the condenser is under the bottom (in which case there's usually a fan added). In either case the cabinet sides are rarely if ever populated by tubing or wiring and are safe to blow holes through.

That said I have three top-freezer fridges in my humble brewery, one with the passive condenser and the other two active/under the cabinet type, and ran all of my gas lines and electrical stuff through the back walls. Using the make/model numbers I was able to locate parts diagrams on line that showed where the open areas in the back walls were...

Cheers!

Back