Fridge Check

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewjacket

Reaction score
So I found a fridge yesterday. No history, found on roadside with the door. (Illegal in GA). So I did the civic thing and snatched it up. Needed some cleaning and the seal looks a little messed up but seems to be fine. So today I have been running it with a single glass of water. I have measured the temp and I am showing a steady 53F. This is basically 13F too high, correct? All the settings are on "coldest." I took a similar measurement of my nice apartment fridge and got the ideal ~40F. Is there something that can be done or should I take satisfaction in the fact that I can remove the doors and move on? I'd rather not waste time or money on a dead end. Any quick fixes or checks? Thanks!

Sounds like it needs a coolant charge, but nowadays you're better off just buying a new one. The cost of stuff like that is insanely high, even if you could find someone to do it.

Bernie Brewer said:
Sounds like it needs a coolant charge, but nowadays you're better off just buying a new one. The cost of stuff like that is insanely high, even if you could find someone to do it.

X2

I did the samething. I found a chest freezer on Craigslist and waited till i got all the stuff to conv it to a keezer. Know I'm looking at a new one becouse the one i picked up on Craigslist will only get to 45F.

wild said:
Why not raise the temp and use it as a fermenter?

Possibly he wants it for lagering. And even if he doesn't it's only a matter of time (probably a short time) where it doesn't drop in temp at all, and then all you have is a huge paperweight.

Not possibly, definitely. I am looking for a lagering vessel that eventually would have some potential as a keggerator. Thanks for all the input, it will go out with the trash this weekend.

The search continues.

I think you found out why it was on the side of the road!

Get yourself a chest freezer, they're cheaper to buy and cheaper to run.

It's a slim chance it will help but, are the filters clean? My fridge was getting about 55 degrees when cranked so I cleaned the filters and now it gets down to low 30's easy.

Greg

Also check and make sure the refrigerant lines that are underneath are cleaned. if the refrigerant in the lines cannot dump it's heat, it'll never get cold.

You can also take it to a Maytag or other service store. They refurbish fridges and, if craigslist fails, you can find one on the cheap there.

On some models, if the freezer part of the fridge works but the fridge is too warm, the fan between the two is shot. The fridge half gets it's cold from the freezer by turning that fan on and off. A new one is less that $10 and sometimes you can find them at Home Depot if you're lucky with the model.

Latest posts

Back