Freshening up an IPA?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thisgoestoeleven

Reaction score
I brewed an IPA about a month ago (all of which has been spent in primary), and I'll probably be bottling in a week or two. The bitterness is nice, but after a month in primary there isn't much aroma left. I was thinking of dryhopping for a week or so and then bottling. Would that do that trick? I'm giving some of it away as gifts for the bridesmaids and groomsmen for my wedding in June, and I don't want it to be stale and crappy by then. Thoughts?

What was your hop schedule? It def won't hurt to dry hop for a few days.

thisgoestoeleven said:
I brewed an IPA about a month ago (all of which has been spent in primary), and I'll probably be bottling in a week or two. The bitterness is nice, but after a month in primary there isn't much aroma left. I was thinking of dryhopping for a week or so and then bottling. Would that do that trick? I'm giving some of it away as gifts for the bridesmaids and groomsmen for my wedding in June, and I don't want it to be stale and crappy by then. Thoughts?

This is one reason I primary nearly all ale, especially hoppy ones, no linger than 14 days... then package! If I were you, I'd add .75-1 oz of hops in a sack, pull them out after three days, then repeat with new hops. Doing this allows for optimal extraction of oils without imparting grassiness.

This is one reason I primary nearly all ale, especially hoppy ones, no linger than 14 days... then package! If I were you, I'd add .75-1 oz of hops in a sack, pull them out after three days, then repeat with new hops. Doing this allows for optimal extraction of oils without imparting grassiness.

I'll try this, thanks! Unfortunately, my schedule is such that I really don't get much time to brew, and so when I have a free Saturday I'll do a batch and leave it until I've got time to deal with it.

Yea, all you need is 3-5 days after FG is reached (fermentation 100% done) and then a quick dry hop. I like 3 days or less when using pellets (I rarely use leaf hops, but it takes a little longer to get full extraction).

Back