Fresh yeast to prime. Advice please?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flugelizor

Reaction score
I often brew high gravity beers, and they don't carbonate well on their own unless you add fresh yeast with the primiing sugar.

I have had excellent results adding half a pack of dry yeast US-05 for 5 gallon batch. It finishes prime in about a week.

But I have all the culturing tools, and I would like a good reliable method to use the same yeast that's fermenting.
I used a 10 oz starter once and it didn't work well. It took two weeks to finish. Maybe it just needs to be warmer? I think belgians use warm priming rooms?

Would anyone like to share their method?

how high is "high gravity beers?"
I brew a bourbon oak strong ale every year that I bottle. It's usually in the high 1.080's and finishes around 9% or so. I use sa05 to ferment it and I've never had an issue with it carbonating. I usually tap the racking cane on the bottom once or twice to pull over some extra yeast while I'm racking into the bottling bucket. I am, however, in no rush to get drinking them because they do get better with age so I'm not sure how quickly they carbonate using my method.
2 weeks for any high gravity beer to carbonate and condition isn't enough time no matter what temp you keep it in imo.

OK. thanks. When I say high gravity, I am in the range 1.060 - 1.085.
I am just curious if anyone has a proven method for adding FRESH yeast that is not dry.

I found what I was looking for.
I searched for "kraeusening" and I found a tons of resources.
Not to mention, there is a great write-up in Papazian's New Complete Joy of Home Brewing, which read several years ago, and never thought about it again.

Back