Fresh Squeezed IPA (Deschutes Inspired)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, I guess just neglect all that info out there stating higher mash temps create more long chain sugars which are not chopped down by the yeast leading to more unfermented sugar in the beer...and a less dried out overall taste...it's fact. But you apparently don't detect a difference b/w a FG of 1.010 & 1.020 so more power to you!

Exactly. Try it for yourself. There is a lot of brewing dogma out there. I think some or a lot of it is not solid, or is dependent on the beer or is subtle, so try something new!

The only part I disagree with is that the unfermented maltodextrins taste sweet. Gypsum has a profound effect on dryness in beer and could likely be used to easily overcome any minor perceived sweetness from higher mash temps if they think they are getting sweetness.

Back to the recipe - I'm very happy with the results I got using homebrewsupply's kit! Just tapped that keg a few days ago and it's delicious!

This is fermenting away now.Its a double batch.Im thinking of dryhopping as listed in one and upping the dry hops in the other.I have citra,cennteniel,cascade and a little simcoe on hand. I was actually thinking just adding more citra to bring it out.I haven't used citra in a long time.

I made 10 gallons of this with my brother-in-law. Subbed out Nugget hops for Chinook (we had them on hand). Turned out very nice and easy to drink. I might have to find a 6-pk of the real stuff for a comparison, but I have no problem drinking what we made up. Considering the cost of ingredients for 10 gallons was less than the cost of 3 6-pks (also in Alberta, Canada), I cannot complain!

i was never able to get c-75 from the lhbs. guess i'll do it like last time, 50/50 split of 40 and 90..

i was never able to get c-75 from the lhbs. guess i'll do it like last time, 50/50 split of 40 and 90..

You'll be fine with C60 by itself. It's basically just a coloring agent that adds a wee bit of fermentables.

Obviously it wouldn't be a fresh squeezed, but would only using mosaic hops for flavor and aroma and nugget for bittering following this grain bill and hop schedule make a good beer? I happen to have a butt load of mosaic right now (along with centennial and calypso) and want to use them up before buying any more hops

Last edited:
IMO - yes. I've made a number of Mosaic-only beers and like what it brings to the table (even as a solo-hop). With this grain bill I wouldn't hesitate at all to do what you've mentioned. I do think keeping the Nugget is important, though (as you said you would). I've brewed this without it and it definitely makes a big difference in the profile.

So...my vote (having brewed this and other Mosaic beers multiple times) is to go for it.

Obviously it wouldn't be a fresh squeezed, but would only using mosaic hops for flavor and aroma and nugget for bittering following this grain bill and hop schedule make a good beer? I happen to have a butt load of mosaic right now (along with centennial and calypso) and want to use them up before buying any more hops

If you have a butt load of mosaic... Can I get a 1/8 butt load?

If you have a butt load of mosaic... Can I get a 1/8 butt load?

If you have a butt load of mosaic... Can I get a 1/8
butt load?

So this took Gold in a Keg Only beer competition I was in. I swept the IPA category with this and an Session IPA. The Session IPA actually won Best Of Show Runner UP out of 266 entries. This recipe scored a 41.7. Beer and Sweat
B&S1.jpg

B&S2.jpg

B&S3.jpg

So this took Gold in a Keg Only beer competition I was in. I swept the IPA category with this and an Session IPA. The Session IPA actually won Best Of Show Runner UP out of 266 entries. This recipe scored a 41.7.

Congrats! Did you brew with any significant changes compared to the recipe in the original post?

Congrats! Did you brew with any significant changes compared to the recipe in the original post?

I have since removed the wheat entirely and bumped up the Munich to compensate for it. That's it really. I noticed the wheat caused too much unsettling head after being poured out of a keg.

I have since removed the wheat entirely and bumped up the Munich to compensate for it. That's it really. I noticed the wheat caused too much unsettling head after being poured out of a keg.
ODD.If you look at the pic in #216 I got perfect head that slowly dissipates.Couldnt ask for anything better.Followed the original recipe to a tee.Second keg of a split batch just finished force carbing and looks to be the same.

It's not like I was getting overcarbed beer. The foam didn't dissipate well and it kind of reminded me of a root beer float creamy froth. Since I removed the wheat, the head issue went away. It's just what worked for me.

I brewed this over the weekend with my buddy. Two 5.5 gallon batches. I used my electric system, and my buddy did gas. Pretty close to the same recipes. I used a bit more 2-row as I typically have some efficiency issues. Of course, this time I didn't and I came in at 1.072. My buddy's came out at 1.064 OG. Mine:
8.5 gallons water ( Should have added another 1/2 gallon or so)
13 lbs 2-Row
1 lb Munich 10L
1/2 lb White Wheat
3/4 lb 60L

It ended up lighter in color too, probably could have put in 1 lb of 60L.

My buddy did:
8 gallons water
11 lbs 2-Row
1 lb Munich 10L
1/2 lb White Wheat
1 lb 60L

His came out darker(of course).

We used the same hop schedule as the OP. Both did about 60 min mashes. Mine was at about 153-154 degrees. His was closer to 155.

I had built up, twice, a new pack of San Diego super yeast. We both used that.

Usually have friends drink and judge. I won last time ;). Will update the thread with pictures once they are done.

WYEAST 1187 ringwood ale yeast, Is the closest strand of yeast to Deschutes Brewery house yeast, as per http://www.kswbeer.com/2012/05/what-yeast-does-deschutes-use.html

So if going for a clone you might want to try this yeast.

good info... thanks!

have you (or anyone else) tried 1187 with this recipe?

Mr. Malty Wyeast/White Labs chart says WLP005 is same strain, anyone tried that?

I used WLP001 and it turned out pretty tasty. did the extract version and no one could tell.

will do it again, but use a local yeast source. he has a Cal ale type strain but this might steer me towards his Brit ale strain.

WYEAST 1187 ringwood ale yeast, Is the closest strand of yeast to Deschutes Brewery house yeast, as per http://www.kswbeer.com/2012/05/what-yeast-does-deschutes-use.html

So if going for a clone you might want to try this yeast.

If you look earlier in this thread it's pointed out that on their site they list American ale yeast in their homebrew recipe for this one, everything else lists English yeast (presumably ringwood) except for Chainbreaker which is a Belgian strain.
:mug:

FWIW I Made a double batch using 05 yeast.The first I kegged after 7 days it was still pretty thick and hadn't settled out.After a couple days and a few wasted pints in the keg it cleared and was FANTASTIC,juicy beer.I kegged the second half at around 3 weeks after brew day.It definitely lost some of the fresh hop juice flavor that made the first one so good.I would not hesitate to transfer this beer early as possible when I make it again

I was going to go with Wyeast 1272 as it was the freshest yeast my LHBS had. I've also slightly adjusted the recipe to account for my efficiency with BIAB and took out the wheat and added more crystal to make up for it. Any objections to these changes or do you think it should still turn out to be a good beer? This will be my 3rd all grain batch

I brewed this over the weekend with my buddy. Two 5.5 gallon batches. I used my electric system, and my buddy did gas. Pretty close to the same recipes. I used a bit more 2-row as I typically have some efficiency issues. Of course, this time I didn't and I came in at 1.072. My buddy's came out at 1.064 OG. Mine:
8.5 gallons water ( Should have added another 1/2 gallon or so)
13 lbs 2-Row
1 lb Munich 10L
1/2 lb White Wheat
3/4 lb 60L

It ended up lighter in color too, probably could have put in 1 lb of 60L.

My buddy did:
8 gallons water
11 lbs 2-Row
1 lb Munich 10L
1/2 lb White Wheat
1 lb 60L

His came out darker(of course).

We used the same hop schedule as the OP. Both did about 60 min mashes. Mine was at about 153-154 degrees. His was closer to 155.

I had built up, twice, a new pack of San Diego super yeast. We both used that.

Usually have friends drink and judge. I won last time ;). Will update the thread with pictures once they are done.

Update: Been fermenting (brewPi, kept at 67 F) since Sept 17th(about 10 days). Took a gravity reading. Mine is at 1.012, buddy's at 1.010. The San Diego Super Yeast really took off and fermented like crazy for about 4 days. Added 2 oz of Citra for dry hop to each carboy today. Will start the cold crash on Thursday night...if not sooner. I tasted them...so far they both seem to be coming along well.

I scaled this AllGrain recipe with beersmith to 6.50Gal version. I wanted a low ABV version so I adjusted the Gravity via BeerSmith software (my last 3 batch was like 7.5%+ each :mug:)
Brewed this today with my Grainfather and now sitting in my 7gal SS brewtech Chronical BME @65F. Used 1.3pkg of US-05. Mashed @ 152F
I really don't know how it will turn but I don't think I can miss it.
Will update the result later.

Recipe Type: All Grain
Yeast: US-05
Batch Size (Gallons): 6.50
Original Gravity: 1.058
Final Gravity: 1.014
Boiling Time (Minutes): 60

13lbs and 12oz 2-row (US)
8 ounces Thomas Fawcett amber malt.

.93 Warrior hops 16.4% AA (60 minutes) SEE NOTES ON HOPPING!
.62 Amarillo Gold 8.5% (35 minutes)
.62 Simcoe 12% (30 minutes)
.68 Simcoe 12% Dry hop
1.35 Amarillo Gold Dry hop
1.3 Pkg of US05

Did you post in the right thread? That looks like Yooper's Dogfish clone, not the Fresh Squeezed.

I'm looking at @plankbr's 5 gallon recipe and something in the IBU calculations doesn't match my Beersmith.

Here's a line from the original:

0.5 oz - Nugget, Type: Pellet, AA: 14, Use: First Wort, IBU: 14.67

However, my Beersmith says that this produces 26.8 IBU. That's a big difference! (I've set Boil Time to 60, the full boil time, since that's how First Wort additions are supposed to work.)

The other 15 minute additions match the recipe's IBU.

What gives?

I'm looking at @plankbr's 5 gallon recipe and something in the IBU calculations doesn't match my Beersmith.

Here's a line from the original:

However, my Beersmith says that this produces 26.8 IBU. That's a big difference! (I've set Boil Time to 60, the full boil time, since that's how First Wort additions are supposed to work.)

The other 15 minute additions match the recipe's IBU.

What gives?

Brew Method: All Grain
Style Name: American IPA
Boil Time: 60 min
Batch Size: 5.5 gallons (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 7 gallons
Boil Gravity: 1.050
Efficiency: 72% (brew house)

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.063
Final Gravity: 1.010
ABV (standard): 7.08%
IBU (tinseth): 55.37
SRM (morey): 9.01

FERMENTABLES:
11 lb - American - Pale 2-Row (83%)
1 lb - American - Munich - Light 10L (7.5%)
0.75 lb - American - Caramel / Crystal 60L (5.7%)
0.5 lb - American - Wheat (3.8%)

HOPS:
1 oz - Citra, Type: Pellet, AA: 11, Use: Boil for 15 min, IBU: 18.89
1 oz - Mosaic, Type: Pellet, AA: 12.7, Use: Boil for 15 min, IBU: 21.81
1 oz - Citra, Type: Pellet, AA: 11, Use: Boil for 0 min
2 oz - Citra, Type: Pellet, AA: 11, Use: Dry Hop for 5 days

Beersmith doesn't seem to be calculating the IBU's of the FWH correctly. Try it in Brewersfriend.

Update: Been fermenting (brewPi, kept at 67 F) since Sept 17th(about 10 days). Took a gravity reading. Mine is at 1.012, buddy's at 1.010. The San Diego Super Yeast really took off and fermented like crazy for about 4 days. Added 2 oz of Citra for dry hop to each carboy today. Will start the cold crash on Thursday night...if not sooner. I tasted them...so far they both seem to be coming along well.

Pic of the finished product. Turned out awesome. Thanks for the recipe!

IMG_2989.jpg

A little update on my batch of this recipe:

5gallon BIAB BATCH

I increased the malts to make up for some inefficiency. Ended up with a 1.070 FG. I guess my efficiency increased! pitched 2 packs of rehydrated US-05 (first time using dry yeast) and fermented at 65F. ended up with a FG of 1.009 �� Ended up with a DIPA. I had my girlfriend add an ounce of mosaic to the 2 ounces of citra of for dry hopping. I'm out of town so I haven't had a chance to taste it, but my girlfriend said the FG sample was quite tasty! Can't wait to get home and try this brew out!

Thanks again for putting this recipe up for us all to enjoy!

Fresh squeezed does not use any wheat malt, and the amount of hops in this recipe is too low also.
I can confirm it is Ringwood ale yeast that is used for this beer.

Here is my Recipe
Malt
11Lbs 2-Row (83%)
1lbs Munich 10L (7.5%)
1lb 4oz Crystal 60L (9.4%)

Hops
0.75oz Nugget (13%AA) 60min
2oz Citra (12%AA) 5min
2oz Mosaic (12.25%AA) 5min
2oz Citra Dry Hop 5 days
2oz Mosaic Dry Hop 5 days

Use RO Water and add Minerals to match Burton on trent profile.
You're aiming for 1.062 OG
and an FG of 1.012

Enjoy!

^ thanks, WakeyOz. i noticed my 2 attempts at this the color was off. original is more reddish than i could get. also, i agree the wheat is not needed. at any rate, both my tries of this brew were in the .018 finish. still, it seems like bottle fresh squeezed is sweeter than both my versions. perception, perhaps.

Please keep in mind that this was not intended to be a clone. DeSchutes uses CC75, which is why you're lacking the reddish color. I simply added wheat for head retention. They used to have more information on their site than this, but:
Here is what they offer

They mash at a higher temp. They used a different yeast strain.

Back