Fresh Squeezed IPA (Deschutes Inspired)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, I know of a few like Russian River that I called out. I just think it's a stretch to say "most". I live in sunny California, home of the West Coast IPA and while I would say that a lot of breweries are using a whirlpool at knockout - or even a hopstand, there aren't a lot that are talking specifically about multi-stage dry hopping.

For newer brewers I just cringe a bit when people say "you have to do X" because "everybody" does it, when it may not necessarily be based in fact.

Again, I'm not trying ti pick a fight here. We're all wanting the best aroma possible in our IPAs, so I suggest we let this thread get back on topic of the Fresh Squeezed clone.

I've brewed this 3 times now and I'm always shocked at how much aroma comes through with relatively little hops in the recipe.

Cheers.

No worries of picking a fight (not my intention either). I'm in the camp of believers that knowledge is power (I'm sure all of us are). That being said, there are techniques that professionals use that cannot be replicated on a homebrew level. We can get close though. Besides the whirlpool / hopstand, another very effective aroma release method is a 3 day dry hop @ 72*-75*(post fermentation). The higher temps can break down the essential oils faster in a shorter period of time. And that's a huge aroma blast as well. A single dose of dryhops is plenty. Plus you can drink it sooner :mug:

Is there a way to brew this with a lower ABV but keep the flavours the same? I love the beer, but at 7.1% I'm limited to how many can have out on the patio before I'm running around the backyard with my underwear my head.

Is there a way to brew this with a lower ABV but keep the flavours the same? I love the beer, but at 7.1% I'm limited to how many can have out on the patio before I'm running around the backyard with my underwear my head.

Hmm,

15ifps.jpg

Mash at a higher temp and make sure to do a mashout. I routinely mash in at 165F to solve this exact problem.

Mash at a higher temp and make sure to do a mashout. I routinely mash in at 165F to solve this exact problem.

Thanks for the advice. I'm semi new to all grain so I've got some newbie questions. When you say mash in at 165F are you saying to strike at 165F? And what is a mashout?

Thanks for the advice. I'm semi new to all grain so I've got some newbie questions. When you say mash in at 165F are you saying to strike at 165F? And what is a mashout?

Do an infusion mash and make starting temp of the mash 165F. You can try 162 the first time to see how low of an attenuation you can get. Mashout means raising the temp of the mash up to 170F after your mash period to make sure no beta amylase remains. If there is still beta amylase around, your final beer ABV will increase. Also, you will get more consistent attenuation numbers doing a mashout to more precisely set your sugar profile of your wort.

I've been considering the same, I want to get it down to a session IPA 4.5-5% range.
I was actually just going to reduce the malt bill as a thinner body wouldn't worry me too much.

Now to go back through the thread and pick out the recipe that's been given the nod as cloned.

Adjusting mash temp I hadn't actually considered, will give it a bash.

I've been considering the same, I want to get it down to a session IPA 4.5-5% range.
I was actually just going to reduce the malt bill as a thinner body wouldn't worry me too much.

Now to go back through the thread and pick out the recipe that's been given the nod as cloned.

Adjusting mash temp I hadn't actually considered, will give it a bash.

Personally speaking, I would be weary of adjusting/lowering ABV through higher mash temp. All this does is increase the amount of un-fermentable sugars in your beer which definitely affects the overall taste/feel of the beer. Use beersmith or any other recipe assist program, enter the normal recipe and start lowering the grain bill as well as amount of hops to keep overall ratio the same but just in slightly less amount...so that your OG is lower but ratio of hops balances everything. Just my opinion.

Personally speaking, I would be weary of adjusting/lowering ABV through higher mash temp. All this does is increase the amount of un-fermentable sugars in your beer which definitely affects the overall taste/feel of the beer. Use beersmith or any other recipe assist program, enter the normal recipe and start lowering the grain bill as well as amount of hops to keep overall ratio the same but just in slightly less amount...so that your OG is lower but ratio of hops balances everything. Just my opinion.

I have used increased mash temperature to drop the ABV of beers several times. I have not been able to detect a difference in the final character of the beer, other than the lower alcohol level. I would encourage anyone to try it and see what they think. I would also disagree that it "definitely affects the overall taste/feel of the beer."

Use beersmith or any other recipe assist program, enter the normal recipe and start lowering the grain bill as well as amount of hops to keep overall ratio the same but just in slightly less amount...so that your OG is lower but ratio of hops balances everything. Just my opinion.

Yeah, already 'ramped down' using beersmith and adjusted ratios where needed too.

I would encourage anyone to try it and see what they think.

At this stage it's only a small batch beer so I've no problem experimenting with it.

Cheers all for the feedback.

We don't get it out here in CT, but I have had my fare share of the real deal and from memory my version came out more hop forward with stronger fruit tones.
Real Fresh Squeezed has a maltier flavor with fuller mouth.
But damn if this keg isn't going fast. I was going to bottle some for my buddies but they just better get over here and drink it straight from the keg.
[emoji482]

Scores 41/50 in a local best in show competition.
Judges called it a true West Coast IPA.
Judge from Ballast Point said it was really enjoyable and tasty and other judges gave it great reviews. (Lost to an American Wheat though [emoji12])

Anyone thinking of trying this recipe I said brew on and enjoy.

Scores 41/50 in a local best in show competition.
Judges called it a true West Coast IPA.
Judge from Ballast Point said it was really enjoyable and tasty and other judges gave it great reviews. (Lost to an American Wheat though [emoji12])

Anyone thinking of trying this recipe I said brew on and enjoy.

I love me some Fresh Squeezed.. I love that I'm finding that this is better fresh from the homebrew keg. I'm going to have to try that out.

Just brewed this today. My second AG brew.

Replaced Nugget hops with Warrior since my LHBS didn't have any.

Thanks and Cheers.
Max

I just brewed this up yesterday. Used beersmith to scale down to something in the 5%ish range. My mash temp was off a degree or two and OG was maybe 2 points low. Not anything I'm worried about. Here's hoping it tastes as good as the commercial version because I'm not too keen on spending another $23 on a 6 pack.

Where was this thread when I was looking for a Fresh Squeezed Clone!!?? Well I brewed the AHA recipe version as my first AG batch in many years. I tweaked the hop schedule a little bit but it came out great! I overshot my mash temp @ 156, but liked the malty balance that produced. When I make it again I think I would increase the dry hop additions.

I just brewed this up yesterday. Used beersmith to scale down to something in the 5%ish range. My mash temp was off a degree or two and OG was maybe 2 points low. Not anything I'm worried about. Here's hoping it tastes as good as the commercial version because I'm not too keen on spending another $23 on a 6 pack.

Wow, where are you that it is $23/sixer??

Wow, where are you that it is $23/sixer??

Calgary, Alberta. Though as far as I know this is the only province in Canada that gets Deschutes. So I get great variety and pay through the nose for the privilege.

Calgary, Alberta. Though as far as I know this is the only province in Canada that gets Deschutes. So I get great variety and pay through the nose for the privilege.

i feel for you, brother, though it's only like 20 cents per american dollar now right? :) just kidding

Add BC to that list. In Vancouver Deschutes is sold in our government liquor stores, our private beer stores and on tap at various pubs

Anyone have good experiences with 2015 Mosaic & Citra? If so where did you purchase?

Is this the kit from homebrew supply you're talking about? I hope so, that ones in my on deck circle.

Yeah, ive seen this kit online recently but its really expensive I think $60 bucks. Therecipe on thread is spot on...very good I made it a couple of months back so I would try that and save some money its cheaper than the kit.

Build it from scratch if you can from your LHBS based on the recipe(s) in this thread. I've made it a few times both as-is and with minor modifications due to what I thought I had on had and it is always good.

Citra + Mosaic = yum.

And oddly enough, even with minimal hop additions, I've always gotten great flavor and aroma. There's no need to go over-the-top with extra additions.

Cheers.

This past December, did an extract version of AHA's recipe and, along with it being my first batch using temp control (BrewPi), it turned out to be the best beer I've ever made

Think it mostly has to do with it being a solid recipe, also, its been said before, Citra + Mosaic = yum

I'm wondering how the combo would taste using grain bills from my 2 other favorite IPA clone recipes of beers not made down the street, Two Hearted and 8 Point

Got 12 gallons of this dry hopping right now. 6 oz citra for dry hop. Looking forward to kegging it this weekend and having a taste. Considering another 4 oz citra for keg hopping, but I'm not sure yet. Guess I'll have to see how it is going into the kegs.

I have used increased mash temperature to drop the ABV of beers several times. I have not been able to detect a difference in the final character of the beer, other than the lower alcohol level. I would encourage anyone to try it and see what they think. I would also disagree that it "definitely affects the overall taste/feel of the beer."

Well, I guess just neglect all that info out there stating higher mash temps create more long chain sugars which are not chopped down by the yeast leading to more unfermented sugar in the beer...and a less dried out overall taste...it's fact. But you apparently don't detect a difference b/w a FG of 1.010 & 1.020 so more power to you!

Back