Fresh Juiced Cider and Wild Yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cryssunshine

Reaction score
On Halloween (10/31) we juiced a gallons worth of apples. I put the juice in a pot and added 1 cup of light brown sugar and 1 cup of white sugar. I put that on low heat for about 15 minutes.
I then put it in a glass carboy with 1 crushed campden tablet and 1/2 tsp of pectic enzyme. And put the airlock on. I did this in hopes of killing off any wild yeast (although when I started home brewing in August my first batch I wanted to try and do it au natural, but failed).
In a few days the juice started to separate- juice from the pulp..... and it also started bubbling.
I knew it would separate some, but I was not expecting a healthy fermentation?!?
I racked it into a new sanitized carboy last night (11/05) to get it off the sediment/lees? on the bottom and the top. In the new sanitized carboy I added another crushed campden tablet and another 1/2 tsp of p.e. (which I know is for clarity not to inhibit yeast growth).
15 minutes after racking, it had a super foamy head inside the carboy and very active bubbling (1 bubble/ second on airlock).
Several hours later the apple juice had bubbled into the airlock. I took the airlock off and cleaned it out, poured some of the juice out and put the airlock back on. It is not bubbling as vigorously now, but still pretty quickly.

My question is... Do I let the wild yeast keep going? Do I add my yeast (red star pasteur champagne)? Do I add something?

seems strange that the natural yeast took off so quick, my naturally fermented cider took about two weeks to make a bubble or two. i guess i'd just let it keep going and see what happens.

conrad

I was not expecting ANY fermentation since I put in TWO campden tablets! I have never made anything that bubbled as vigorously as this.

So, I was out of town for the weekend and came home to a slower fermentation and about 2.5" of lees/ sediment. I suppose I'll rack it off today.

Back