Fresh Evergreen Pine Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stan-Dard

Reaction score
Hi all!

I wanting to make a fresh evergreen pine resin tasting ale, around 5%ish. Using extract malts and hops, 23l. 31 EBC.

My questions are;

1. Does adding pine needles do much, if so, what's the best way to prepare them, boiled in water, boiled in sugar, or vodka extract, or just added to ferment?

2. When bottling, could I use a Pine Needle vodka extract, or a Pine Syrup?

3. Hop Choice? Im thinking; Simcoe, Chinook, Challenger, Summit, Armarillo.

Thank you kindly in advance. :)

I've never attempted this but I tried a juniper beer recently which I really enjoyed and had that fresh evergreen character. I contacted the brewery from which the beer came and they said they use the equivalent of about .25 oz of macerated juniper berries 5 minutes before the end of the boil. The contribution of the juniper was, for me perfect: distinctly noticeable but not prominent. Your hop choices look good, I think a small to moderate amount of American hops would compliment it well. Cheers!

I have some dried berries! Ill crush them up and and see. Is that 7grams for 23/25l?

I don't know about using pine needles, but each spring I harvest new growth spruce tips and use those. I sampled many trees until I found one that tasted best to me. I use 4 oz. at 30 minutes and 5 minutes if I want alot of spruce character. Just 5 minutes for a more subdued flavor. There are quite a few spruce tip beer threads on the forum.

I’ve used spruce tips once so far (I have some in the freezer for a new recipe) and I’ve used Juniper. Juniper is reliably tasty even at a high dose, though a little goes a long way.

I like the idea of using pine, but I've never done it and would be a little concerned due to the pitch. I wouldn't want a "pitchy" beer LOL. I have used juniper, both berrys and branches in the mash tun. I liked these a lot. I would also like to use spruce, but would have to buy them. :mug:

I have spruce and pine around me, but I think I may go with the Juniper berries first.

We have desert juniper in the higher elevations around here, but I'm not sure that is the correct species. Sticking with store bought berries from LHBS for right now.

We have desert juniper in the higher elevations around here, but I'm not sure that is the correct species. Sticking with store bought berries from LHBS for right now.
I was at a friends in Utah that had a bunch of Juniper growing on their property. I picked a coffee can's worth and used those is several beers. I'm guessing they are the same. I think they would be okay. :mug:

Did you end up using pine? I've been thinking of doing this myself.
No I havent yet, but I am still considering it. I think using cleaned pine straw as a tea or tincture may be a good place to start. This you can pour into a finished beer to evaluate. Below are some other threads concerning pine I'm going to check those out for Sh*ts and giggles. LOL.. :mug:

I make a spruce tip amber ale with 3 ounces at 15 minutes and 3 ounces whirlpool. I love this beer and am making it often, so I always have it on tap.

Do you forage your own or buy them? How does one get their hands on spruce tips? I've always been interested in brewing with them but assumed I wouldn't be able to get them.

Back