Freezing beer / Lagering in a detached garage

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jakeintoledo

Reaction score
I wonder if anyone has had any experience with the effects of lagering over the winter months in a garage. I'm kicking around the idea of brewing a double batch of a lager of some variety, and storing it out in my garage over the winter. I considered priming it slightly to pressurize the Corny kegs I'd keep it in, and hopefully diminish or somewhat prevent freezing of the beer while out there.

My question for the group is: What are your thought abotu freezing of beer? Will it adversely effect the beer?

I've thought about doing the same thing but with buckets. You'd probably only have a few months you could do it easily with out the beer freezing. Like November/December and February/March.

I have a cinderblock garage painted white on the inside. It does get cold in there I had a bucket of water freeze in there last winter and it didn't get that cold.

Back