Free Grain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

polecreek

Reaction score
COLObrewer just donated 10lbs of his homemade two row malt to try out. I am looking for ideas on a brew to build. I have a lot of specialty grains and hops on hand. Please chime in with ideas to try this homemade malt out with. By the way I run close to 86% efficiency with my rims system.:rockin:

I'd use all 10 lbs, mash at 154, hop at 60 min only to about 20 ibu, and ferment with us-05. That should maximize the malt flavor while not overpowering it with anything else. I kinda feel like it would be a waste to add a whole bunch of other stuff since it would cover up the homemade malt.

I'd use all 10 lbs, mash at 154, hop at 60 min only to about 20 ibu, and ferment with us-05. That should maximize the malt flavor while not overpowering it with anything else. I kinda feel like it would be a waste to add a whole bunch of other stuff since it would cover up the homemade malt.

We talked about the same thing , making a smash. I have some s-o4 and notti. on hand. What would be a good hops?

nottingham would be good for yeast. any clean hop would work. east kent golding, fuggles, williamette, mt hood, crystal, hallertau, tetnanger, etc.

I am wondering how to compare COLObrewers grain to a store bought grain? Would a fair comparison be to brew a batch with COLObrewers grain and Rahr two row using the same recipe?

I went back and read the thread on COLObrewer's own brew of his home malted barely and noticed the apparent difference in efficiency. I wonder if maybe a multi-step infusion or decoction would be in order for this grain. It seems to me they might ameliorate any inconsistency in the degree of modification of the grains.

Since you have no idea of the protein analysis of this malt, I would do a step mash or decoction which includes a protein-related rest. I've read the Home Malting thread by COLObrewer and the malt seems pretty well modified, but you have no idea of the total protein or soluble nitrogen ratio.

The malts we buy from HBS's are modified well and typically have a protein profile within the parameters for brewing with a single-infusion mash. With your malt, to play it safe, I'd do a rest in the mid 130s°F. That's higher than a typical protein rest, so if proteins are already broken down, this rest shouldn't cause too many to break down too much (and cause low foam stability). It's also a low enough temperature that, if there are a lot of large proteins to be broken down, it should break enough of them down to keep chill haze at a minimum.

Good luck!

What would be an appropriate rest in terms of time at 130F? Would you then take it to 154F for the remainder of an hour?

I'd do the rest at about 135°F. That can go for 20-30 minutes. Then your saccharification rest temperature depends on how much attenuation you want. Since your doing a rest at 135°F, some beta-amylase conversion is occuring. To balance that, you may want to go a few degrees higher on your next rest... maybe 156-158°F (this is really more of a "dextrin rest"). That rest should go until conversion is reached. I'd say 45 min. to an hour would be fine if you're not going to do an iodine test for conversion.

POLECREEK, Thanx for your efforts on this! I would suggest doing a rest (OR TWO) of some sort also. I've recently started studying this because all my home malt so far has not yielded the power it should, but I have only performed single mash steps with batch sparging. By the way the barley I planted has grown to "head" and I've determined that it is in fact 6 row, not 2 row, that in itself would suggest at least a protein rest if I remember right. I will probably post a pic or two and some info of my latest attempts on the home malting thread soon. Thanx again! Vern.

Whatever you choose to do, you gotta make a new thread when your brew is done and keep us FULLY informed.(preferably with a side by side) I find this home made malt thing very exciting! :D

Back